MISTY EDEVANE - A Short Story

MISTY EDEVANE - A Short Story

A Chapter by Rory Marlow
"

The tale of a girl that lives in a forest and wishes to leave for a world that would accept her and love her and where she could be herself without being scared.

"

MISTY EDEVANE

A short story.

 

It was a warm and hazy morning in October. Misty Edevane was peacefully sitting on a cold and rusty rock on the lakeshore.

Just like any morning, she was absorbed in the forest of thoughts that arose in her head every time she stopped speaking. She was a thinker, a poet; it was rare to find such a person.

 

She was the Moon, appearing in the elegant tranquillity of the night, illuminated by the Sun, a hidden or perhaps non-existent light of its own, making its way through the midnight clouds.

She was the Stars, who in the darkness made even the rudest of men raise his gaze towards them. She was the benevolent darkness of the night, in which everything and nothing hid; feared and loved, hidden and isolated.

 

She was not, and could never be the Sun; too profound, insidious, and pure, that no strong and exuberant light could ever be compared to her. She was not the light since no one was enlightened by her.

 

She could only be the Night Sky, covering the world in divine darkness, which no man or animal could escape. No one was awake in the real night, only her.

No one admired and got lost in the star-covered sky like she did. All the nights spent with her chin up and her breath taken away in a sigh, she had never seen such beauty.

 

But that morning, Misty watched the mist take over the atmosphere around her, the cool wind moving the trees and sculpting light waves on the surface of the lake. While everything seemed still, yet moving, in her head.

She remembered the candid days of her colourful and sweet childhood, she recalled the crowds that surrounded her and talked to her, and she knew that all of that had vanished. Just as the fog quietly vanished into the trees on that October morning, so did her past, as quietly and quickly. Everything Misty believed to be hers vanished behind her, leaving only a grey and smoky memory.

 

The mist then vanished, opening a gap between the branches to let in the warm rays of the sun, that began to burn on her skin. So she moved from that trance governed by thoughts, into which she often fell. She then ventured into the woods, where the light was unable to break through the foliage of the centuries-old trees.

 

Her daily life took place there, in that small, flat semicircle in the centre of the forest; where there was a small hut that appeared like a home to her, but in the realm ruled by illusions, it was just a new prison for her soul.

And here she sang, danced, ate, drank, slept, and read; one last time, for hours and hours, until night began to fall once again.

 

It was the night of the full moon, her last full moon, and her only hope.

 

Therefore, she returned to the lake and her thoughts began to wander again. She looked at the crystalline reflections of the white satellite in that body of water whose secrets she had learned to know. Everything coincided with what she had in mind, the Moon was waiting for its Star and no Telescope was ready to project it into someone's eyes like hers was.

 

She was free to leave, her time had come.

 

That night on the lake she closed her eyes and dreamed of autumn in that hidden city that she longed for so much. A city filled with those who truly believed in her existence, where her fate could change.

So, she got lost in the scenery, and slowly nature saw her disappear, like fast clouds in a warm summer...

 

Now that she could live, be remembered; now that she was loved, and that she felt emotions just like all the others, now that her existence was finally fulfilled...

That dark place full of pain that saw privileged those who only deserved the waste and discarded those whose souls breathed, silent and covered so as not to get sick, had forgotten her.

 

But it had never even acquainted her. That place had never seen her, never felt her, never deserved her. She was the oddball, with a heart that was too slow and a mind that was too different to be accepted in such a world.

 

Eventually, when she decided to leave, she found the way easily, as if called by it. And when she reached her long-desired dream, she realized that she had finally found a real home.



© 2024 Rory Marlow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on April 21, 2024
Last Updated on April 21, 2024
Tags: philosophy, fiction, thoughts, poetry, poems, prose, shortstories, darkacademia, literature, ancientliterature


Author

Rory Marlow
Rory Marlow

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom



About
I am here with the mere intention of publishing something without being attacked because I'm not a native English speaker and I write in English. more..

Writing