Silent Screams.

Silent Screams.

A Story by thearsonist
"

A young girl escaped death & years passed....it seems like the memories are coming back. But is she safe? How safe?

"
Sitting at the edge of a bed, hugging her knees tight...she looked around. The room was dark and bleak.  She was shivering and started to cry. 
What if the man comes back? she thought. 
"WHAM!"
The door slammed open.
A man, tall and had a belly protruding from his shirt came into her sight. He flared his nostrils and looked straight at the girl. He had a fresh, bleeding cut, starting from his forehead and across his right eye. He was holding a kitchen knife with blood dripping from the tip, making a small pool of blood. He smirked and slowly approached her...

I let out a scream. I woke up sweating and breathing hardly. I looked around me and tried to hear something, anything. The only sounds heard were my heavy breathing and the whirring sound of the air conditioner. I wiped the perspiration beads on my forehead and neck. I checked the time.

3.41AM. I really need to go to sleep. Just then, my cellphone rang. Now who calls someone at 3AM...must be a prank call. 

"Hello? This is not funny. Goodbye."
but before I could hang up...
"Sleep well Sandra. Everything will be over soon..." and the voice faded away. He hung up.

It was a he.

Funny thing is, the voice sounded so familiar. It can't be my fiancée nor could it be my brother. Where have I heard that voice? How does he know my number? Or the fact that I am awake at the moment after a horrible dream? Freddy Kruger? Of course it's not him, silly. Wait, how did he know my name?

A stalker ; that was my conclusion. Only question left...what will be over? My single life? Well yeah, in another month but then again, how does he know? 

3.58AM. I got work in 5 more hours. I pulled my blanket and closed my eyes. Images from my dream earlier flashed my eyes for a few seconds and just then...I heard knockings on the door. It was as if the person was angry...as the knockings become even louder. 

I laid still. Waiting. Waiting for it to stop. I hope the neighbors on this floor won't be visiting me tomorrow for a complaint.
5 minutes.
It finally stopped. 

I got out of bed, exited my room and slowly walked to the front door. I checked my drawer and found my fiancées shot gun, he was a police. But thinking getting the gun would be pointless, I grabbed my baseball bat just in case.I stood in front of the door. Stared at the door knob for a bit...my hand tempted to grab it and open the door but like in the movies, this might not be a good idea. I walked away from the door, few steps at a time. 

"THUD!"

Sandra blacked out. She fell flat faced to the floor. She was hit on the back of her head by a metal crow bar. She was then dragged into her bedroom where she was tied at the back of her hands. The tall figure who did all this had a smirk on his face. 

Sandra's apartment has a veranda and this man climbed out of the window of the hallway and managed to reach the veranda with not much difficulty. Using the crow bar, he broke the lock. This was all done when Sandra was asleep. After breaking the lock, he went to Sandra's front door and banged on the door. Knowing Sandra won't open the door, he crept into her apartment via the veranda, slowly approaching her and hit her head when the timing was right. 

Throwing Sandra to the floor, he bent down and stroke her face, running his hand from her forehand down to her chin...

"It's been a while....I'm not finished with you yet."

I opened my eyes with much difficulty. Everything looked blurry to me at first. I was in my room, sitting on the floor...? My hands were tied together. Crap. This doesn't look good. No, this is bad. Very, very bad. 

I tried to undo the knot using my fingers. The knot was too tight. I looked around, looking for something to cut the rope with. I saw my paper cutter underneath my bed. So that's where it is! I've been looking all over for it. I moved bit by bit to reach it with much difficulty. With your hands tied at the back, it makes it harder to cut myself free because I can't really see where or how am I cutting it but I decided to take the risk. 

Just then, I heard footsteps. Trembling, I closed my eyes, hoping that it's not 'him'. 

"Sandra. Open your God damned eyes. They're beautiful to look at."

I hesitated, scared of what I might see was my old past that was meant to be locked away and forgotten. 

"Sandra..." he said my name again, this time, growling. 

I opened my eyes slowly. 

A man, looking like his late 40s, looked straight into my eyes as if he was a hunter and I am a wolf. He had a wrinkly face and crooked, yellow teeth. He was tall and...had a belly protruding from his shirt. He had a scar...from his forehead to his right...eye...

It's him.
He walked slowly in my direction. Almost crouching.

"It's me Sandra. It's been 20 years..."

"You killed my family you son of a b***h!" I spurted. 

"Well well...your mother broke up with me to be with your father...I can't let that happen can I? I killed your mother first. I felt bad...but revenge is sweet. Your father...well that b*****d was slow, I could have killed him first. I went to your room next...but your father called the police and tried to hit me with my baseball bat."

I was listening to him while I was cutting myself free...just a bit more...

"But unlike you, I did not fell flat faced on the floor. No...I stabbed him directly to his heart. I was supposed to finish you but the police came...and so I ran away. Vowing to search for you high and low..."

I cut myself free but I pretended to still be tied up. 

He moved slowly towards my face. He looked at me straight in the eye.

"You have your mother's eyes..." and turned away...walking towards the door.

The gun is in the drawer. I took a deep breath. Can I do this? Can I just jumped up and get the gun? 

Screw it. 

I got up and that startled him. He rushed towards me and pushed me to the wall, grasping my neck tight. 

My hand was fidgeting inside the drawer, which he did not notice, and I got the gun. The gun was in my hand. The gun was in MY hand. Can I do this? 

"Don't....even...think of running away. Cause you're dead tonight."

I slowly...adjusted the gun to his torso. He looked at me dumbfounded. 

A gunshot was heard. Blood was splattering everywhere and I had splats on my face. The man fell to the ground and there was created a pool of blood around him. 

I feel to my knees. Shivering, I called Adam, my fiancée, and told him everything. After I assured him I was fine, he's coming home immediately with his team. 

I stared at the man. The man who ruined my childhood. The monster who killed my parents. I killed the monster. I just killed somebody.

I climbed on my bed and did what I did 20 years ago. I sat on the edge of the bed, hugged my knees tight and just...cried.

© 2010 thearsonist


Author's Note

thearsonist
I've been watching a lot of television lately.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on December 18, 2010
Last Updated on December 19, 2010
Tags: girl, death, thriller, mystery, thearsonist

Author

thearsonist
thearsonist

Brunei



About
18. trying to find ways to express myself without being judged & ridiculed. I just finished my exams and now waiting for my results. I wish to major in Geology or Marine Science. Writing is one way .. more..

Writing