Calloused Hands

Calloused Hands

A Poem by Mandi

Her heel imprints the snow sweetly.
Smoke ascends from family’s fire place.
Traditions of hot chocolate and peppermint sticks,
Love lingers longer around the freshly chopped Christmas tree.
Bare calloused hands hold a rectangular box.
Her teeth gather her lower lip forming an eager smile.
Water slips gently from the creases of her eyes.
She slides the perfect gold bow, it falls to the floor.
Her fingers slip between the slits of thick, gold wrapping paper.
The black velvet box sits anxiously in her palm.
He raises the black box’s lid, his eyes on her.
A white gold, heart-shaped diamond pendant
dangles ever so dazzling upon a dainty silver chain.
He places her new heart where it belongs and
whispers in her ear, “Merry Christmas, Darling.”                      
Time moves harmoniously by his side; each moment a new memory.
His mouth mesmerizes her; morning breath never tasted so good.
His scent idles when he’s not around; Euphoria married with sweat,
a decadent sin.
His voice the drum solo her soul beckons to hear each night;
soothes each woe and calms desperation.
His hands gingerly caress her body, he worships her.
She shivers as his hand greets the small of her back.
His lips melt into hers, entwined to perfection.
She holds him close, his favorite escape.
Six years have passed: a promise, a proposal and marriage.
A wedding of pumpkins, and purple, her eyes only saw him.
Cancer came: a battle fought together. She needed him.
Changes come with time, they grow together.
They look to future with curious eyes
hoping soon to hear little baby cries.
He is her Jack. She is his Sally.
Together forever, an eternity in love.

© 2015 Mandi


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed the ambiance that arose from the imagery in the piece. I have an obsession with the Christmas season with the dark and cold nights that are lit up with fiery lanterns and fireplaces, more of a Victorian Realist tone like in The Christmas Carol. Then there are all of the pine tree decorations and classic toys like the nutcracker and the teddy bear and the tin soldiers. Anyway, my point is that your imagery in this piece really came alive n my mind, so I really liked that. Furthermore, the love between the two people here, whom I am presuming, and please correct me, if i am wrong, are you and your husband, was written with great tenderness. The affection is clearly visible here, and it is beautiful. Keep up the excellent work.

Neurotically yours,
Mister Splitbrain

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I enjoyed the ambiance that arose from the imagery in the piece. I have an obsession with the Christmas season with the dark and cold nights that are lit up with fiery lanterns and fireplaces, more of a Victorian Realist tone like in The Christmas Carol. Then there are all of the pine tree decorations and classic toys like the nutcracker and the teddy bear and the tin soldiers. Anyway, my point is that your imagery in this piece really came alive n my mind, so I really liked that. Furthermore, the love between the two people here, whom I am presuming, and please correct me, if i am wrong, are you and your husband, was written with great tenderness. The affection is clearly visible here, and it is beautiful. Keep up the excellent work.

Neurotically yours,
Mister Splitbrain

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are a amazing writer.
"He is her Jack. She is his Sally.
Together forever, an eternity in love."
I like how you described place, life and situation leading to the strong ending. I like the feel of old way and thoughts. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was, perhaps, the most enchanting poem I have ever read! I could feel the passion in every line. You are truly talented!!! I'm new to the site, so you will have to forgive my coarse descriptions.

Posted 9 Years Ago


"soothes each woe and calms desperatino" oh how that line kills me in so many wonderful ways. Poignant, and powerful. Love this autobiographical journey and remembrance.

Posted 9 Years Ago



This is deep and beautiful, romantically written...I wish you great health and keep up the good work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lovely and raw at the same time. I love that what you write seems to be very much about who you are and very autobiographical. You go from what seems daily experiences to intense life altering subjects from one phrase to the next, I really appreciate that in your writing. I have to really stop and kind of absorb what I just read, which I mean as a compliment to your ability to address the more intense aspects of life. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is a beautiful story. Love the last two lines in this piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow Mandi, that is a very beautiful piece! I love how you captured the thourough journey of a couple completely in love.
It was so sweet, it nearly brought tears to my eyes!
Fantastic Job!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2015
Last Updated on March 20, 2015

Author

Mandi
Mandi

Elkville, IL



About
I share my life with the most amazing, kind, selfless, handsome man I've ever met. He is my muse, my comedian, my reason for being, my love. We have four fur babies: Sherlock, Dexter, Lycan Lestat and.. more..

Writing
Final Fix Final Fix

A Poem by Mandi


Hands Down Hands Down

A Poem by Mandi


Disease Disease

A Poem by Mandi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..