Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by The Eternal Scribe

When the cops finally showed up, Bob was flitting between me and the kitchen.  While he was worried about me, there were still customers and he was the only cook.  The cops in blue uniforms dragged the bigot away in handcuffs then went about talking to the various witnesses.  The man with the cut over his eye was being tended to by a paramedic while he rocked his girlfriend in his lap.  The paramedic seemed to be restraining the urge to comment.

A paramedic came by me next and looked me over but I wasn’t really hurt and he just gave me some warnings about concussions and that if I had certain symptoms, which I didn’t seem to remember, I should head to the hospital immediately.  I sighed when he was done and waited my turn with the cops.

When the cop finally made his way around to me, I could see that he wasn’t going to be open minded.  Like Bob, he probably didn’t think I should have gotten involved in the fight.  But, unlike Bob, the cop looked like he felt that the couple deserved what they got.  When he left, he made a half-joking comment over his shoulder, “You should stay out of other people’s business, you’ll live longer.”

I stood up and slipped into the booth with the unconventional couple.  “Are you guys alright?” I asked, not quite meeting their eyes.

“I feel like I should be asking you that.  You took quite a hit,” the man said.

I looked up at him, braving his eyes momentarily.  “I’m fine.  Bruised, maybe.”  I stared down at my fingers, playing with them and tugging on them anxiously.

“Most people wouldn’t have done what you did,” the woman said sweetly, “Thank you.  Even if it didn’t prevent the fight.”

I shrugged, still not looking at them, “I couldn’t not do anything.”

The man reached out and grasped my hand, “Thank you.”  When I didn’t meet his gaze, he tilted my chin up and said it again, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“I’m Matt.  And this is my wife, Elizabeth.”  I smiled at the word wife.  A lot of “mixed” couples took part in private ceremonies.  In their own eyes, they were married, even if the government and their own religions disowned them.  Jack and I had never done that, but then I was pretty religious and wouldn’t truly feel married unless it was in the eyes of the church.  I don’t think I could ever accept it if nobody else did.

“Ashleigh.  Ash, call me Ash.”



© 2012 The Eternal Scribe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on October 27, 2012
Last Updated on October 27, 2012


Author

The Eternal Scribe
The Eternal Scribe

Raleigh, NC



About
I am an, as yet, unpublished paranormal fiction author. I would love to be able to do it full time, except I'd be broke and, well, I'd never leave my house... Follow me on twitter: @theternalscribe more..

Writing