My Last Summer

My Last Summer

A Story by TheMadnessWithin
"

As I paused for a moment to contemplate my failure, I heard a familiar thump from outside. They came in like the waves of the ocean, uneven and irregularly placed. Thump....thump thump thump.......thu

"
     I tapped my pencil impatiently on my binder and bit my lip. Then heaving a heavy sigh of anxiety I shoved it between my teeth and flipped to the back of the book. 
     “Wrong again." I mumbled to myself.
     As I paused for a moment to contemplate my failure, I heard a familiar thump from outside. They came in like the waves of the ocean, uneven and irregularly placed. Thump....thump thump thump.......thump thump.......swoosh.
     I slid over my bed and delicately lifted the curtain away from the window. I was presently met with several stink bug skeletons that had collected over time, and a blast of cold air since our insulation sucks.
     There he was, toiling his hours away as usual with that dang basketball. But don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t mad. Watching him gave me a sense of calmness, I relaxed for a moment, studying his movements and the way he threw himself into the sport. 
     In a moment of insecurity I adjusted the curtain so only my eyes could be seen, and reminiscently looked out over the vast expanse of land and sky I had called my home for the past seventeen years.
     Three small houses shot out of tiny hills in the landscape, surrounded by tall furry pine trees. The houses' tan colored siding and grey roofs stood proudly up against a bright blue sky of cumulus clouds. The picture perfect neighborhood some would call it. But I knew more than anyone it had its faults just like any other place.
     As I honed in on the neighbors yard, I noticed the bright blue water of their sparkling crystal pool deflect the sunlight. 
    “Ahhh so many memories...” I mumbled contemplatively.
    Then my eyes wandered to where a trampoline and playground had once stood. I remembered the summers. The best years of my life were as a kid. 
    We’d wake up at the crack of dawn and start playin around. First came a game in the pool or should I say games. Everything from sharks and minnos to marko polo. You thought it, we played it. After several long hours of aquatic workout we’d head to the fridge in their garage to grab a frosty orange creamcicle. We licked with delight as the frozen flavor seeped into our taste buds. 
    Sitting on the trampoline we would stare wonderingly up at the sky, dreaming about all the fun filled days yet to come. And when all that remained of our icy treat was a stick, we would read the ridiculous jokes and laugh histarically even if it wasn’t funny. 
    We jumped for hours, playing popcorn and ghost until we were too tired to breathe. Then we’d end the day with Highschool Musical or Camp Rock, singing and dancing our hearts away on the white carpeted living room. They truly were the best days of my life. I guess I really do wish I hadn’t grown up.
    The ball flew through the air leaving his posed hands in the dust. Just as it was about to go in the rim caught it, sending it flying down the hilly driveway. He sighed looking after the ball undecidedly. Then suddenly he strode away, slamming the screen door behind him. 
    I sighed. We had never been the best of friends. Ya we were the same age but I always played with his little sister. And believe me, NO BOYS were allowed.
    “Now were all grown up” I muttered. 
    Its senior year finally and honestly Im a little scared. This is my home, my haven. I can’t leave it. I won’t leave it.
    I longed helplessly after my carefree life as a kid. A life that I sometimes went to in my dreams.
    “Its time to grow up” I kept saying to myself, “Its time to move on”. 
    But as the soft white clouds billowed against the vast expanse of sky and the green grass waved at me in the breeze, and the memories flooded back to me, I realized I couldn’t leave the summer behind. It had been my last summer.

© 2014 TheMadnessWithin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
Added on February 28, 2014
Last Updated on February 28, 2014
Tags: life sad adventure depression fa

Author

TheMadnessWithin
TheMadnessWithin

New York City, NY



About
I’m not much of a talker in real life. I’d be the one sitting in the corner reading a book. I prefer to keep to myself and only write when I feel the need to get something off my mind. If .. more..

Writing