freddie the fly

freddie the fly

A Story by Tori Lynn
"

my papa wrote this children's book that will soon be illustrated

"

Freddie the fly was just an ordinary fly, except for his eyes. They were much bigger than the ordinary fly. He was able to see much further away than an ordinary fly. He could see for miles instead of just a few feet.

Being able to see so far helped him to find food a long way from his home. He could see all the food that flies love the most while ordinary flies had to settle for what they could find within a few feet. Even though Freddie could see things much further away than other flies could, his wings were the same as other flies. So when he saw the delicious food he loved a long way off, he would have to stop and rest many times on his way 


One day, Freddie stopped to rest on the top of a can that was at a stop light. Before he knew it, the can started to move. Freddie was scared and did not know what to do.  Fortunately, flies have tiny suction cups on their feet so Freddie was able to stay on the top of the can. As the can went faster, Freddie got more and more scared. If the suction cups on his feet couldn't hold on he would be thrown to the pavement to be squashed.


  Just as freddie felt his suction cups starting to come loose, the can stopped. Freddie flew off the can and landed right on top of some delicious candy on the ground.  After freddie ate he looked around and even though he had been far from home before he did not recognize anything around him. And even though he could see a long way, he could not see his home. Again, Freddie was scared. He remembered that his mother had told him never to fly so far away that he could not see his home.  She had always worried that because he had to stop and rest when he flew far from home that something would happen to him 


Suddenly, Freddie felt a vibration and when he looked around there was a man with a fly swatter held above his head! The man came down with the fly swatter and tried to hit freddie. But freddie was too fast and he flew away 

Freddie did not know what direction his home was but he had to try to find his way home. So he started to fly, hoping he would see something or someplace that he would recognize.


Soon, he became tired and he was thirsty. He saw a small pond and landed on a lily pad. After he had drank some water, he felt another vibration. When he looked around he saw a toad frog.


Freddies mama had told him about toad frogs. She told him they have long sticky tongues and they used them to catch flies and eat them! But again, freddie was too fast for the toad frog and he flew away before the toad frog could use his tongue 


Freddie was getting very very tired. He had been flying around for a long time but he knew that his mama would be very worried. He had never been away from home this long. So he had to keep going but he was too tired and sleepy because he had not slept in a long time. He decided to stop and rest and sleep before he continued to find his home.It had begun to rain so Freddie found a window sill to land on that had an overhang to protect him from the rain. 


Soon, Freddie was asleep, but he had not been asleep long before he heard a kind of hissing sound coming from above his head. When he looked up he saw a big black spider! His mama had told him about spiders. She told him they could make tiny thread-like strings that came out of their back ends. They made webs by connecting their strings together. If a fly got caught in a web it could not get out . the more a fly would try to get out of the web, the more tangled up it became. And then the spider would wrap the fly up with more strings and would eat it. 


Fortunately, Freddie had landed below the spider web but the spider was lowering down on one of the strings! Freddie was scared but he was able to fly away just before the spider came down.


Now freddie was very tired and was so afraid he would never see his mama again  All of a sudden Freddie saw a red trash can next to a house. This was a trash can he had been to before! He was near his home! Freddie flew harder and faster than he ever had before.  Soon he saw his home and there was mama looking out the window.  She was so happy to see freddie and said “oh freddie i thought i would never see you again!”. Freddie had been lucky he had escaped being squashed on the pavement, being hit by a fly swatter, a frog's sticky tongue, and getting wrapped up in a spider's web.


Freddie told his mama “ I will never fly away from home again. I will be satisfied with what is within a few feet!”

© 2021 Tori Lynn


Author's Note

Tori Lynn
this is word for word what my grandfather wrote in his little story book. He is 75 and from the deep south so any grammar errors are just part of how he talks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on December 15, 2021
Last Updated on December 15, 2021
Tags: fly, little, children's book, food, eyes, flying, spider, frog, kids, mama, mom, childrens

Author

Tori Lynn
Tori Lynn

Hartsville, SC



About
i write to stop worrying about what's wrong with me more..

Writing