The Robotic Revolution

The Robotic Revolution

A Story by Ellen C
"

An essay on the history and future of robotics in industry. This was written for my introduction to computers class.

"

The idea of robots who can do our work for us is now becoming a reality thanks to scientist continual expansion of the the field of robotics. The advancements are hailed as groundbreaking and dangerous to our way of life. Robots have been programmed to drive trains, planes, and now cars. Robotic vacuums, such as the Roomba, have become become a popular alternative for people who dislike housework. Robots have come a long way since their humble beginning the their advancements only continue.

The dictionary definition of a robot is a machine capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically, especially one programmable by a computer. The term “robot” is an umbrella term for many different types of robots. They can be autonomous or semi-autonomous and range from humanoid to industrial in build. Robots are used for tasks that cannot be performed by humans or in outer space or on the bottom of the ocean--locations humans cannot reach.

The first programmable robot was invented by George Devol in 1954. The robot’s name was Unimate. In 1961, he sold the robot to General Motors company who used this new technology to lift hot metal from die casting machines in their New Jersey factories. In 1928, one of the first humanoid robots was displayed at the Model Engineers Society in London. The robot’s frame consisted of an aluminium body of armour with eleven electromagnets and one motor powered by a twelve-volt power source. The robot could move its hands and head and could be controlled through remote control or voice control. Robots in the field of manufacturing have continued to expand. Today you cannot go to a factory without seeing an industrial robot at work.

Robots are usually made up of movable segments attached by joints. The robot requires power to function. Most robots use a battery or plug into the wall. Hydraulics or pneumatics are also power sources for robots. A common manufacturing robot is the robotic arm. The robotic arm is made up of seven metal segments connected by six joints. The joint rotate individually using step motors. There are two types of mobile robots: legged robots and wheeled robots. legged robots are typically operated by hydraulics. Autonomous robots are controlled independently. An early robot of this type are bump and go robots. More sophisticated robots and analyze their surroundings and adapt to unfamiliar environments. Artificial intelligence is one of the most exciting fields in robotics. Many are unsure whether robots could be intelligent. Recent studies, however, show robots do have a capacity for intelligence. Not only can robots recognize mathematical functions and patterns, they can also recognize art. The researchers created an algorithm to pick out particular features in paintings. The algorithm was tested on a database of paintings the machine had never see. The machine was about 60% accurate and determining the genre and artist. Robotics research still continues to make robots smarter and cheaper which is the ultimate goal of all technological research.

There are many benefits of robotic technology. Robots are more productive and create higher quality work. They do not need breaks or stop for weekends. Robots save time which in turn saves money and due to their accuracy, robots save money on materials as well. Surgical robots are used to make surgeries less invasive and safer for patients. The can create more patient care and can assist with common tasks. Robots save time, money, and improve our lives.

There are many problems with robots especially in regards to the economy. The more robots become available the more jobs are lost. Many fear that if robotic research continues there will be few jobs available for humans. Many believe this constant production will wreak havoc on the environment. some believe that human will lose the ability to navigate, calculate, and memorize.

Ethical questions have been presented on the behalf of robotic technology. Some wonder. with the creation of artificial intelligence, what sort of ethics and morality would cover robots behavior.One scientific team has said a robot brain will exist by 2019. Some question the use of robots in the military, especially when robots are given some autonomous function.  This puts human lives in the hands of an unfeeling machine.


In conclusion, though robots present a massive amount of capacity to help, we have to be careful in creating something with no ethical reasoning skills that has a built-in gun. Manufacturing robots have made factories more efficient and perform menial tasks much more efficiently than humans. Robotic space probes and submarines allow us to explore the depths of space and the ocean floor. Robots are changing the way the world works, hopefully, for the better.


© 2015 Ellen C


Author's Note

Ellen C
If you actually read the whole thing i applaud you. i would love to hear what you think. don't hesitate to point out any grammar errors as i still have time to correct them before it is due.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on June 26, 2015
Last Updated on August 10, 2015
Tags: robots, essay, iformational, ethics

Author

Ellen C
Ellen C

Ayden, NC



About
I am a 16 year-old girl with a passion for a written word. I would like to share some of my mind with anyone who will listen. Follow me at: tumblr:thepapercup.tumblr.com instagram:ellenrenee13 more..

Writing
Never Alone Never Alone

A Poem by Ellen C