Nightmares

Nightmares

A Chapter by Sarah D

I'm running, always running away from him. Tripping over fallen tree branches in the smokey forest. I breathe fast and hard; so much that it causes my chest to ache.

I can hear him behind me, always getting closer. I try running faster, but my legs feel as though they're about to buckle underneath me. I try to yell out for someone, but my voice has grown hoarse from all the other times I've tried.

He calls my name; his voice is loud and taunting. It echoes through my mind in long streams.

I run towards an orange glow, the faint smell of sulfur starts to linger in the air. I start coughing and have to stop.

I fall against a decaying tree and look fearfully behind me. I can't see him. Oh God, where has he gone? I scan the woods; I'm lost, I'm scared, my heart is beating unnaturally fast.

My eyes fix upon the orange glow in front of me that seems to be getting brighter and brighter.

I turn my gaze from the enticing glow and see him, standing in front of me. My heart pounds even more so against my breast. He smells of smoke and decay.

He smirks as he reaches a burnt hand to my face; I can do nothing but stand there, powerless and petrified.

He starts to speak in a language that is foreign to me, but that is somehow so very familiar. I can hardly understand what he is saying, but maybe it is better that way.

Suddenly, his face turns to a scowl and he stops speaking. I hear another voice, low and comforting.

A soft melodious voice that seems to speak to my soul, my inner child. I realize now, that it is my mother's voice.

Wait, my mother's?

I watch his face twist into pure hatred as her voice grows louder.

"Wren! Wren!" She calls.

My eyes snap open and I cling to my mother's arm. I was dreaming again.

"Wren, honey, you're crushing my arm," my mother says as she looks over me with concern.

I blink several times and stare at her, muttering an apology. I sit up in bed and wipe a cold sheet of sweat from my forehead.

My mother sits on the edge of my bed, smoothing back my damp hair.

"You were screaming again, sweety. Was it the nightmare?"

My mouth is dry and my throat burns; all I can do is nod solemnly.

"Aw, honey." My mother pulls me tightly against her, "It was only a dream, that's all. Nothing is going to hurt you."

"It just felt so... real," I managed to croak out.

I felt my mother's hand running through my hair, "Nightmares tend to do that. But it wasn't real, you have to remember that." She stopped stroking my hair to look me in the eyes, "Have you been telling Doctor Wayne about these nightmares?"

I pulled away from her, "I don't tell him anything. I can't stand him. All he does is sit there in his leather chair, clicking his stupid pen, staring at me like I'm a science experiment."

"That's his job, Wren. You're supposed to actually talk to him. He can't help you if you don't speak up!"

"I'm almost nineteen years old, I think I should be able to handle my own problems, let alone a nightmare! I don't need a damn shrink!"

I roughly removed myself from my bed. My mother followed me.

"Listen, Wren, I'm only trying to help you. After your father died, you've been--"

"Don't," I swiveled around to face her, "Don't bring up Dad."

I felt a lump grow in my throat as I went to the kitchen for some water.

As I filled my cup, my mother placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Honey, you're not well. You need to talk about what's bothering you."

I shrugged her hand off, gulped down the glass and retreated back up the steps to my room.

I slammed the door, barricading myself inside.

Since sleeping was no longer an option, I decided to turn on some music. The soft acoustic sounds flowing from the speakers helped to somewhat calm my tense mind.

I closed my eyes, focusing on the lyrics and the melody, letting the beats fill my aching heart.

A soft rapping at the door made me open them again.

"Wren?" It was my mother. "Look, I know you don't like talking about your feelings, but, I will always be here for you, honey." I heard her sniffle, "Good night, sweety."

A guilty feeling spread throughout my entire body. She only wanted to help, why do I have to be such a b***h?

A sudden static noise made me jump. I looked over to my radio; the blue light on the screen started to flash on and off. The speakers that once played the soft acoustic track now started to sound distorted.

Confused and slightly irritated, I walked over to the radio sitting on top of my dresser. I started to press my finger to the power button, when I heard another crackle of static. Curious, I leaned down to press my ear against one of the speakers.

I listened to the static closely; it sounded as if someone were trying to whisper through bad phone reception.

Shaking it off as it just being my over-active imagination, I stood up once more and placed a finger over the power button. The radio shut off, but the crackling remained.

A little uneasy, I reached down behind my dressed and pulled the power cord from the wall socket.

I stood, staring at the radio as it continued to crackle. I placed my hands over my ears and shut my eyes tightly.


© 2014 Sarah D


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on February 14, 2014
Last Updated on February 14, 2014
Tags: nightmares, ghost, demon, fright, scared


Author

Sarah D
Sarah D

Port Jervis, NY



About
I'm a kind enough person who has an insane passion for writing. more..

Writing