Chapter One.

Chapter One.

A Chapter by thewolfguy5
"

The story begins.

"

I just love nature so much. It just so much fun being out in it. I’d be out in it 24/7 if I could. Though in reality I could stay out in nature if I’d really wanted too. However that can get pretty dangerous here at least. There’s multiple wild animals that live around here. Wolves being the primary one. Although there has never been a recorded wolf attack on a human here. So I’m going to take my chances and go camping deep in the woods. It’ll be good for me. I mean I really don’t have anywhere else to go. I don’t have a place to call home. I just go from place to place doing odd jobs here and there. I’ve made some good money. Enough to get food and some camping stuff. Which is a good thing. I’m now in a small town in Wyoming. It’s a nice little town. Everyone is friendly. I have a job at a local diner currently. The owner, Sam, likes me so that’s a good thing. He’s letting me take a week off to go camping. I really can’t wait. 

Well today is the day I head out deep into the woods and begin my type of vacation. Far away from everyone. Just what I like. Being out in nature where no one can bother you. Which for me is a really, really good thing. I walk along the main road through town, up the hill and turn at the lake. I walk around it’s edge and come to a stop at the tree line. Well here I go. No turning back now. I won’t be back here for a week.

Now most people wouldn’t really go camping where I’m going. They’d go to some place that’s been built for that type of stuff. Not me. I go camping for real. I also know these woulds pretty well for the little time I’ve actually been here. Honestly I probably know these woods better than anyone that lives in town. As I walk deeper into the woods the trees get thicker and closer together. 

Eventually I come to a small stream that pretty much cuts the forest in half. I’d have to cross it to get to where I want to set up camp. First, however I decided to take a small break. I sit down along the waters edge and sit there, taking in my surroundings. It brings me so much happiness being out here. After about ten minutes or so I hear something that broke the silence of the summer air. It was the howl of a wolf. Though it sounded pretty far away it was still quite a neat experience to hear that. Then more joined in. I was in awe and yet a bit fearful not knowing where they were exactly I really didn’t want to step in on their den or else I might face some repercussions let’s just say. Either way I got up crossed the stream and continued on. Finally I came to the spot I was looking for. 

First things first I set up my tent, though I doubt I’d use it. I mainly just set it up just in case it started to rain. After I got my tent set up I started to gather things to make a fire. I set out to gather some branches and a few twigs. By now the sun was beginning to set behind the mountains. The sky was turning a deep blood orange color. It was a really cool sight. I began to start the fire. While I was doing that the wolves that I heard early were still in the back of my mind. It’s kind of ironic really because as soon as I thought of that I heard the howls again. This time however they sounded closer. I perked up. No I wasn’t near their den but I could now be in their territory, I could be just on the border or I could be a bit of a ways in. Wolf packs tend to have a big territory. So more than likely I was in it. I just hoped that they wouldn’t come near me. 

As the fire began to pick up I started to cook some of the food I had brought. For tonight it was just a couple of hot dogs. Yeah it wasn’t much but tomorrow I’d catch some fish. Though if I didn’t I could always have hot dogs again. Let’s hope I catch some fish tomorrow. 

After I ate I rolled out my sleeping bag on the ground to get ready for later before going back to tend the fire. By now it was dark. The only light was the one from my fire and the little light that the moon was giving off. It was just past half tonight. In a couple days it’ll be full. Hopefully while I’m still camping but we’ll see. I began to grow tired and it was getting late. It was time to turn in. Tomorrow was going to be a busy day. Aside from going fishing I was going to explore a bit. Not too far though just because I didn’t want to stumble upon the wolves knowing that I was closer to them then I was before. I crawled into my sleeping bag as the fire slowly faded out and laid there for a few minutes staring up at the night sky before eventually falling asleep. 

I was awoken from a dead sleep in the middle of the night. I got a feeling I wasn’t alone. It was as if I was being watched. I could hear footsteps coming from all around. I hated to admit it but I was a little bit scared. It’s not like I wasn’t going to go out and see what was watching me. Quietly I got out of my sleeping bag, drug it into my tent and zipped it up behind me. I got back into my sleeping bag and stayed awake for a while longer. Eventually the footsteps faded away and I faded back into a deep sleep.

Birds were chirping loudly. It was morning. I sat up and rubbed my eyes and let out a long yawn. Unzipping my tent I looked out. The sun was just beginning to rise. I got out of my tent and stretched a bit. Yes, I did have to admit sleeping on the ground wasn’t the most comfortable thing in the world but hey at least it was something. Grabbing my fishing pole I headed out to go fishing. The stream I passed was a bit far away to go back to. However I did know of bigger stream not that far from where I was. 

Once there I set my things up put the bait on my hook and cast out. Now comes the fun part. Waiting. Fishing required patience. I fished a lot so I had a lot of patience unlike most people who don’t normally go fishing. While waiting to see if I got a bite the events of last night ran through my mind. Was it the wolves? Did they find me? I really didn’t know. I really didn’t want to know. However deep down I kind of wanted to know. I mean how cool would it be to see a wild wolf up close. As long as it didn’t attack me or worse. Either way I kind of brushed it off and went back to fishing. It took a bit but I finally got a bite. It felt good to know that I could have dinner on the other end of my line. I reeled it in quickly. Success, it was a bass and a decent sized one too. Well enough for me for dinner at least. I’d be back here tomorrow to catch more hopefully. I headed back to where I had my camp set up.

When I arrived back at camp I threw the fish into my small cooler to save for later. Now to go out and explore. I didn’t know where to head first. Eventually I decided to go east. As I started to walk something on the ground caught my eye. Looking down I saw a set of tracks. Wolf tracks. That answered my question. The wolves knew I was here. They were checking me out last night. Not much further away from the first set of tracks there was a second set of tracks. Only two from what I saw at least. Which was a good thing I guess. Though I got a feeling that they’d be back again tonight. Hell the tracks I found were just outside where I was set up. Who knows is they’ll get more daring and come closer to me. I did have to smile a bit though. It was cool knowing that the wolves were close to me. 

Continuing on I went on-wards exploring going deeper into the forest. I didn’t get over zealous though not wanting to get lost                         I stopped myself from going any further. I came to a big boulder and sat down. It was past noon and I was hungry. Thankfully I had brought along some trail mix. I ate enough to hold me over until dinner. Then I could hear something rustling. I sat up in full attention. Not knowing exactly where the sound was coming from. I moved back a bit. As I did that the rustling stopped. From the corner of my eye something caught my eye. I turned and there it was. It was a wolf, jet black in color. I didn’t panic I didn’t run. I was breathing heavily. If I ran it’d chase after me. Staying completely still it started moving towards me slowly. It seemed curious of me. As if it was asking what I was doing there. Putting my hands at my sides I sank down to show I wasn’t a threat. Now I’ve researched wolves for a good portion of my life so I knew what to do in this situation. As with any predatory animal you had to show you weren’t a threat. Especially if you were alone. Unless it’s a bear. Then you have to make yourself appear bigger. Lowering my head and getting myself as close to the ground as I could I kind of submitted to the wolf in a way. I didn’t break eye contact at all. As I looked at it, it kept coming closer and closer until it was standing right next to me. I sniffed me for a bit and circled around me a few times before coming back to face me. We were both looking at each other in the eyes directly. As I did that a calming sense came over me. It felt as if he wasn’t going to attack or harm me in anyway. I really wanted to reach out and touch him but I didn’t dare do it in fear of what would happen. The wolf snorted a bit before tilting his head back and howled. I’ve heard the wolves howl before but being this close made it an amazing experience but it was very loud. Then the wolf did something I wasn’t expecting. He leaned down and licked my face a bit before turning and running off. Looking up I saw the wolf in the distance just sitting there watching me. It seemed like he wanted me to follow him. I was in a state of shock at that point. I didn’t dare move for the next few minutes. Slowly I got up and headed back to my camp.

It took me a while to get back because I was walking a bit slower than normal mainly because I was still trying to process what had happened. It didn’t know if that wolf was one of the ones that had been around my camp last night or not. It could have been or it might not have been. I just didn’t know. When I did arrive back at my camp I took the fish out the cooler, prepared it and got another fire going. Once the fire was going I threw the fish onto a stick and started to cook it. Once done I peeled it apart and started eating. Yes it was good but I still couldn’t get that experience out of my head. It was as if the wolf knew me. I was flustered. There’s no other way to put it. After I had finished eating I kind of just sat there. That’s when I heard footsteps around me again. Then out of no where a wolf appeared. Though it wasn’t the same one as before. This wolf was mostly brown with some grey. I got a really bad feeling from this one. Definitely not the same feeling I got from the other one. I became fearful as the wolf approached me. Again I didn’t want to run. Instead I calmly stepped back and turned to go into my tent. That however was a mistake. As soon as I started to go inside I saw another wolf in there. As if it was waiting in there for me. I must have forgotten to zip it up before I left. I really didn’t have much time to react as the wolf jumped towards me I duck out of my tent and fell to the ground. I turned and saw both wolves slowly walking towards me growling and snarling. Baring their teeth. I crawled backwards, still I didn’t want to run because either way I wasn’t going to get away. One of the wolves jump towards me, pinning me to the ground still snarling and baring its teeth. I kicked my legs out trying to kick the wolf off me but that didn’t work out too well as the other wolf came over and sank his fang’s into it. I cried out in pain. I kicked more but that only made the wolf bite harder. The wolf who had me pinned looked down at me and I looked at it in fear. I could have sworn I saw him smile or that’s what it seemed like anyway. I didn’t have much time to react as the wolf moved his head down towards my neck. In a last ditch effort I put my arm up in defense. It really didn’t even seem to phase the wolf however as he bit down into it. When he let go of it I put it down in defeat. The wolf lowered his head again and opened his mouth and clamped it around my neck. I could feel his sharp fang’s pierce my neck. I couldn’t scream the pain was just to much. I could feel myself slipping in and out of consciousness. Eventually I succumbed to the pain and fell unconscious.

 

 

“We have to hurry. There’s not much time left. He may be in danger.” The figure said. 

“I’m going as fast as I can.” The second figure said. 

The two figures ran through the woods towards where they heard the screams. When they came to where they had heard them they found a body lying on the ground. The two rushed over the lifeless body. One of them picked it up. “He’s still breathing.” 

“Come on let’s get him back to the house quickly.” The other figure said. The figure holding the body nodded and the both ran back into the woods. 

After running for a few minutes the two came a big house right in the middle of the woods. It really seemed out of place. A third figure was standing on the back porch and rushed down towards the other two. “Is he alright?”

“He’s breathing but I’m not sure if he’ll make it or not.” The one figure spoke.

“Give him to me. I’ll take care of him.” 

The figure nodded and handed the body over to the larger figure. The larger figure took the body and ran into the house. A fourth figure ran behind the third figure as he ran up the stairs into a bed room, setting the body onto a bed before leaning over the figure. “You’re in safe hands now I promise.”

“Is he going to be alright?” The fourth figure asked.

“I’m not sure I might have to make sure that he makes it. Even if that means. Well you know.”

The fourth figure nodded, “No matter what you do we’ll stand behind you on your decision.” 

 

 

I groaned. My head was throbbing and my whole body ached horribly. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around. I didn’t know where I was. Well I mean I knew I was in a room but I didn’t know where I was exactly. Looking down I saw my arm was bandaged up. I brought my hand towards my neck. When I touched it, it burned slightly. I was still in a daze when I heard a voice speak. “You’re finally awake.” 

 Turning I looked over and saw a human male not that much older than me standing there. 

“Uh yeah, what happened? Where am I?” I asked.

“Well you were attacked by some wolves. I was scared you weren’t going to make it but you pulled through. Thankfully a couple of my friends happened to find you and brought you here to my house.” He said. I couldn’t put my finger on it but the guy looked and sounded familiar. I just didn’t know where I’ve seen or heard him. 

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, but why were you all the way out here?” He questioned.

“I just wanted to go camping far away from everyone.”

“I see well it just a good thing I live out here or else you might have never been found.” He said.

“Wait you live out here?” 

“Yeah I do. I like my privacy, don’t get visitors really.” He mentioned.

“Must be nice.” 

“It is but it can get lonely though. Well it just feels lonely because of how big my home is.” He chuckled. 

“Wait how old are you?” 

“Twenty-Four” He noted.

“I see how do you have such a big house way out here and at such a young age.?”

“Eh, it’s a long story. I’ll save that for another day.” He said. “What’s your name?” 

“My name’s Jack.”

“Nice to meet you Jack, I’m Sam.” He said. That’s when it hit me. He was the owner of the diner I worked at. “You own the diner in town don’t you?”

“I do, why?” Sam said puzzled.

“I work there.”

“Oh yes, Jack. I thought you looked familiar.” Sam answered.

“Yeah, you too.” I turned back over onto my back still in a bit of pain. That’s when I felt my hand hit something a bit soft and warm. I turned my head to see a dog or well what seemed to be a wolf in this case laying next to me. Jumping up startled a bit, the dog, or wolf perked it’s head up and licked me on the face. 

“I see you’ve met Jaci. She hasn’t left you since you were brought in. I was quite surprised honestly. She really isn’t good with strangers.” Sam smiled. 

“Uh, wow.” I turned to Sam. “Is she a wolf?” Jaci’s was mostly brown but had some slight grey and black in her fur as well. 

“She is, but don’t worry she never leaves the house unless I’m with her. So I can assure you she didn’t attack you.” Sam explained.

“Alright that’s good.” I felt that something was off with all this. It wasn’t a bad feeling instead it was a good feeling. I just had to be sure of my suspicion. Though that would have to wait. 

“Is there anything else you need Jack?” Sam asked.

“Yes actually. Do you mind if I take a shower?” 

“I figured you’d ask that. The shower is right there.” He said pointing towards a door in the room. “I put some clean clothes on the sink in there. They should fit you.”

“Thank you.” 

“Don’t mention it. Now I have to go into town for a bit to take care of a few things. I should be back in an hour or so.” Sam explained.

“Um, alright.” I said kind of hesitantly. 

Sam noticed my hesitation. “Don’t worry. I won’t be gone long and Jaci will be here to protect you.” Hearing him say that kind of confirmed my suspicion.

“Okay, thank you.” Now I don’t know if my tone of voice gave something away but I think he knew that I knew what was going on. Sam smiled “I’ll be back as quickly as possible.” I nodded. 

Sam exited the room and closed the door behind him. 

Taking a deep breath I slowly sat up. I looked at my arm and legs that was bandaged up. The bandages probably wouldn’t fair well in the water. So I’m going to have to take them off. I got up, off the bed and headed towards the bathroom. Jaci jumped off the bed and followed behind me, her claws clicking with each step as she walked on the hardwood floor. I opened the door to the bathroom and Jaci was still behind me, never leaving my side. She stood right next to me as I started to take the bandages off my arm and legs. To me, Jaci seemed to be a bit bigger than the average wolf especially for a female. I bit my tongue from saying anything. For now at least. As I took the bandages off I noticed something. There were no stitches and the bite marks seemed to be healed already. Though there was still a lot of dry blood. Was I really out for that long? I looked at myself in the mirror. Let’s just say I didn’t look that good. My clothes were torn badly and had blood stains all over them. I looked at my neck it was the same as my arms and legs. I’ll take a better look after I shower. As I undressed I noticed another bandage covering my mid section. It hurt like hell and I was afraid to take it off but I had too. Slowly I unwrapped it and to my amazement that was pretty much healed too. I shook my head. By this time Jaci was lying down on the rug. I went over to the shower and turned it on letting the water heat up. I haven’t had a shower in three days at least, not counting the time I was unconscious. When it got to a reasonable temperature I stepped in. It felt great. The shower itself was bigger than anyone I’ve ever been in. I just stood there letting the water hit me. All the dried blood just washed right away making the water running off me turn into a reddish color. Surprisingly it really didn’t hurt like I thought it would. Yes there was some pain but not much. I was sore more than anything. The feeling of the warm water hit my skin felt really good. I was in a daze of sorts for a few moments. I quickly shook myself out of it and continued to clean myself up. Looking down at myself and seeing all the bite marks made me question things. I really shouldn’t have survived that right? There’s just no way. Then that same thought as before, ran through my mind again. I took the soap and scrubbed myself down as best as I could without it hurting too much.

After my shower I stepped out, grabbed a towel and dried myself off. Grabbing the clothes that Sam had left me I put them on slowly. Perfect fit. Then again he is about the same size as me. Taking my old torn clothes headed back into the bedroom I set them aside on a dresser before climbing back into the bed and got comfy. I could hear Jaci following me she went around, claws clicking on the floor and jumped into the bed laying right next to me. This was it. I couldn’t wait any long. Turning of to face Jaci I let it out, “Jaci?” I questioned. Her ears perked up. “Are you guys....are you werewolves?” I really didn’t know why I just said that but I just had a feeling what I was asking was true. Jaci lowered her ears and looked away. “Please tell me the truth. I’m not afraid. I’m not going to run. I just want to know if you are actually werewolves. I mean look at the facts there’s no way I could have survived that attack and there is no way that Sam’s friends just happened to be walking by and found me. These things just don’t add up. What normal person live out in the woods alone with a pet wolf? You’re not his pet. You’re a pack member or even his mate, the alpha female.” Jaci turned and looked at me and sighed. Then she spoke, “’You are correct we are all werewolves, Sam, Myself, his two friends and another one. We’re all a family. We knew where you were. We’ve been watching you. Sam and I were the two wolves who came into your camp the first night you were there. The black wolf you encountered. That was Sam. He wanted you to follow him but he knew you wouldn’t. He should have tried harder. Now he is blaming himself for you getting attacked. He knew that those two wolves were stalking you. When he got back to the house he sent out Tyler and Alyx to find you and bring you back. By then however it was too late. They heard your screams and Tyler and Alyx ran off to find you. When they did find you they brought you back here. Sam took you up to the room here and made a difficult choice. He gave you the first part of the gift. That part being immortality. Yes he saved your life there was no other way. If he didn’t do that you were more than likely going to die. We didn’t want that. Honestly we couldn’t have lived with ourselves if you did die. We’re sorry but we hope you understand. Just don’t be mad at us.”

“Why would I be mad? I’m grateful that Sam saved my life I truly am but why didn’t Sam say anything when he first saw me?” I asked

“Okay if someone told you that they were a werewolf or if you saw Sam as a werewolf; What would you do?”

“I personally wouldn’t have done anything. A normal person would’ve ran. I know better than that. If you run you’re more than likely going to die.” I explained.

“Sam wouldn’t have chased you.” 

“How was I supposed to know that?” I asked.

“I’m just saying. Sam is too kind at heart to give chase to someone like you.”

“So he does go after other humans?” I questioned.

“Well we all do if we really have to but normally no. He wouldn’t have gone after you because he knows you.”

“I know he knows me, but I didn’t know he was that wolf that came up to me.” I said.

“Yes I know you didn’t know. He was honestly surprised you didn’t run and well he was also surprised you submitted to him. That’s something he wasn’t expecting.”

“What was I supposed to do try and fight him?” I chuckled.

“You could have but you would’ve lost.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.” I said shaking my head.

“Well it’s kind of true. He’s a lot stronger than you think.”

“Yes I know that he’s stronger than me that’s why I submitted I’m not stupid. I just knew what to do.” I explained.

“I know and he’s proud of you for doing that.”

“Well that’s good to know.” I said

“Yes, anyway I should let you get some rest. Sam should be home in an hour or so.

“You can stay here. I like having the company.” I confessed.

“Well thanks glad you like my company. However if I am going to stay with you I need to re-bandage you.”

“Why though. I’m pretty much healed the way it is.” I said.

“Yes I know but it’s just a precaution.”

“Fine, but can you do it in your werewolf form?” I asked.

“I can do that. I was honestly planning on that. I don’t like being in my human form when I’m home” We both smiled at each other. 

Jaci jumped down off the bed and started to change right before my eyes. I could her here bones began to crack and shift. Her muzzle shrunk a little bit. She grew taller and taller until she was standing on two legs. The transformation was over before I knew it.

“Wow you made that look easy.” I said.

“You get used to it after a while” Jaci smiled.

“So exactly how old are you?” 

“I’m only twenty-three.” Jaci said

“Do you guys age at all?”

“No, you stay how you looked when you were first bit.” Jaci said.

“So I’m going to look like this forever?” 

“Yes.” Jaci said.

“Is there anyway that we can die?”

“Well no. Some of think that’s a curse but not us we love it.” Jaci answered.

“I think I can get used to this.”

“I sure hope so.” Jaci said. “I just need to go get the bandages, stay here and I’ll be right back.” 

Jaci walked into the bathroom and came back a few seconds later with new bandages. She set the bandages down next to me and knelled down. I really didn’t know how to say it any other way but she just looked amazing. I just smiled at her. “I have a question.” 

“You want to hold my paw don’t you?” Jaci asked.

“How did you know?”

“It’s not everyday you get to see a werewolf. Unless you are one or in your case are currently living with them.” She said.

Jaci smiled and extended her paw towards me. I looked at it. The pads on it were on the tops of her fingers and on her palm. I reached out and clasped it in my hand. It was soft to the touch. Yes it did feel weird but it was a good weird. Almost as his you were shaking a dog’s paw well a humanoid dog. I let go and smiled. Jaci smiled back and ran the back of her paw along my head. She then grabbed the bandages, took a hold my arm and started to wrap it. She did the same thing with my legs. The feeling of her grabbing onto my leg was still a bit weird. I jerked a bit though, the pain was still there. Though the wounds were pretty much healed. “I’m sorry, I know it hurts. It’ll be sore for a while. There’s nothing we can do about that unfortunately. We can only heal our wounds fast.” She said softly. After she was done with my legs she looked at me. “Alright sit up and lift up your shirt.” I nodded, sat up and lifted up my shirt. She wrapped the big gash or what was left of it that was around my stomach. “There all fixed.” Jaci said.

“Thanks Jaci.” I said smiling.

“Don’t mention it.” Jaci leaned forwards and hugged me. She ran her paw up and down my back. My head was pressed up against her chest. It was very warm and soft. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged tightly. “I hope you enjoy your stay here. I’m sure you’re family is expecting you home some in a couple days.” Jaci said.

“How long was I out?”

“Oh about a day and a half.” Jaci mentioned.

“Ah alright.” was all I could say. I didn’t have a family but she didn’t know. I honestly didn’t know what to do after I was done healing up. I mean I really had no where to go but maybe just maybe I’d find somewhere to go. Though I am immortal now I’m not sure what I’m going to do.

“Is something wrong? You seem a little down.” Jaci said.

“I’m fine.” I said.

“Alright, well if there’s anything you need let me know.” 

“I will.” I said. I knew Jaci knew that I wasn’t telling the truth. She knows something was wrong. I just didn’t want to tell her.

“Well Sam just got home. He’ll be right up.”

“How do you know that?” I asked.

“Werewolves do have good hearing you know.”

“Oh yeah right.” I said embarrassed.

“It’s fine hon.” 

Sure enough Sam came right up and into the room. He looked at Jaci and I and sighed. “So you knew our secret after all. That doesn’t surprise me.”

“Yes I figured it out, and don’t be hard on yourself.” I said.

“I should have just told you from the beginning.”

“Hey don’t worry about it. It’s totally cool.” I said.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure. I’m still here aren’t I.” I answered.

“You are still here. Well then I guess I can shift forms now.” Sam smiled and started to change forms just like Jaci had done earlier. Sam got done very quickly. I now know he was the jet black wolf I met the other day but he looked even cooler in werewolf form. 

“You look awesome. You both do.” I said smiling.

“Thanks.” Sam said.

“So where are the others?”

“They’re all at the diner working. We all work there. It’s just us really aside from you.” Sam explained

“Ah ok. Must be nice having your own hours.”

“Yeah but it can be a hassle especially on Sunday’s you know that.” Sam said.

“I don’t really care for Sunday’s at all honestly.”

Sam chuckles “Anyway I need to talk to Jaci about something. We’ll be back in a bit to check on you.”

“Alright.” Sam and Jaci left the room and went down the hall into a different room and closed the door.

 

“So what should we do?” Sam asked.

“I’m not sure really, though I really think it should be up to him.” Jaci replied.

“You’re right but I just can’t help myself I’d really like it if he stays here with us.”

“Trust me I know but what if he has a family?” Jaci asked.

“You and I both know that’s not true.”

“I know, but when I asked him about it he really didn’t give me a clear answer.” Jaci explained.

“I see. I think it’d be good for him to stay here. It’d be easier on him too.”

“Look I get what you’re saying but we can’t force him to stay here if he doesn’t want to.” Jaci said.

“I know, I know but at least here he’ll have a family that can take care of him and show him what it’s like to be loved.”

“Sam, we’re really not that much older than him.” Jaci noted.

“I know but I hope that he chooses to stay.”

“I do too but we just have to let him decide that.” Jaci said.

“Okay so when we go and ask him about all this; We can’t force him to stay.”

“Agreed.” Jaci said.

 

Sam and Jaci came back into the room about thirty or so minutes later and came over sitting on the bed. I sat up and looked at them. Sam smiled as he looked at me, “So Jack where do you go from here?”

I sighed, “You know I honestly couldn’t tell you. I don’t have a home to go to. I don’t have a mother or father or any family for that matter. I’ve just been living in a motel for the past couple weeks. Paying for it weekly with the money I make at the diner. That’s it really. So I guess I just go back to the motel and continue working at the diner for the time being.”

“What happened to your parents?” Jaci asked.

“Well I never knew my real mother and father. My father died before I was born and my mother couldn’t take care of me by herself so she put me up for adoption. I was in an orphanage for the first few years of my life. I was then placed in foster care and was moved around from place to place until finally I just had enough and left. Now here I am. I’ve been on my own since I was eighteen.” I explained.

Jaci and Sam both looked at me with their heads and ears down a bit. “We’re sorry to hear that Jack.” Sam said.

“It’s fine. You get used to being alone on your own eventually.”

“I’m sure that’s true but you have to get lonely sometimes.” Jaci noted.

“I do but again you get used to it.”

Jaci and Sam looked at each before looking back at me for a few moments before Sam spoke. “Well.” Sam cleared his throat. “Would you want to live here with us?”

“I uh...I don’t know. I don’t want to be a burden.” Sam was about to speak but Jaci cut him off. “Look Jack, we want you to stay here. You wouldn’t be a burden. You’d make a great addition to the family.” 

Sam looked at Jaci, I thought we agreed we couldn’t force him to stay here.”

“I’m not forcing him. I was just saying that we’d love it if he stays here. Though it is ultimately his decision if he wants to or not. We’re offering him our home to live in with us and the rest of the pack. A place where he’ll be loved and cared for.” Jaci mentioned.

“You’re right.” They both turned to me. “Well Jack ultimately it’s up to you. We won’t be mad if you don’t want to stay.” I looked at them for a few minutes before just leaning forward and hugged them both or at least tried to. “Yes I’ll stay. Thank you, thank you so much.” I cried. Jaci and Sam both hugged me. A warm feeling came over me again. I’ve found what I’ve been looking for my whole life and that’s a family. The three of us just sat there hugging each other for a few moments. Sam ran his paw down my back before pushing me away slightly. Taking his other paw he lifted my chin up. He looked down at me and smiled. “Welcome to the family Jack.”

I smiled back, “Thank you.” That was really all I could say honestly. I was just so happy. I had a family. Finally after all these years. 

“Come on let’s go downstairs the others should be home soon. I told them to close early.” The three of us headed downstairs, went into the living room and sat on the couch while we waited for the others to return. 

 

After only a few minutes of waiting the others came home. I was quite surprised that the others were already in their werewolf form. They must have just changed before coming in. Needless to say they came right over to me to greet me. 

“Well Jack here’s the rest of the family. The, grey one is Tyler. The tan one is, Alyx, and the white one is Dan. Tyler and Alyx were the ones who found you.” Sam explained.

“It’s nice to meet you all. Thanks for saving me.” I said.

“It’s nice to meet you too Jack and hey don’t mention it. Sam was the one who sent us to find you.” Tyler said. Everyone just seemed so nice. Though I would have to get used to being around werewolves now but I think I could get used to that very quickly. The three, came over and sat down next to me. Alyx sat down right beside me. She leaned over and brought me into a hug. “Welcome to the family Jack. We’re all glad you chose to stay.” She said. 

“Thanks, I’m glad you all let me stay here.” I chuckled.

“Well then now that you’ve met everyone else I’d like to talk to you privately Jack.” Sam said. “As privately as I can anyway.”

“Yeah sure.” I said. Sam got up and I followed him. We walked into the kitchen. I really didn’t notice this at first but he was so much taller than me. I was almost six feet myself where as Sam had to be no less than eight to nine feet tall as a werewolf. Sam walked over to the table and sat down. I sat down next to him. 

“Jack listen I’d like to apologize to you.” Sam spoke softly.

“For what?” I asked.

“Well I’m sure Jaci told you that I was the wolf that you encountered in the woods. I mean if it isn’t obvious.” 

“She told me about that yes.” I said

“I should have done more. To get you to follow me. I should have said something more. I knew that there was those two rogue wolves waiting around your camp. In reality I should have stopped them but I was by myself and couldn’t risk you seeing me in this form. I didn’t know how you’d react if I spoke to you or if you saw me in this form without really knowing me. So I’m sorry. If I did something you wouldn’t have been attacked. When Tyler and Alyx brought you back I was afraid that you were going to die. I didn’t have any choice so I had to keep you alive. I wanted to keep you alive. If you died I don’t know if I could live with myself. So I gave you one of our gifts. After I did that Jaci took over. She cleaned out your wounds and patched you up. Now that you had the one gift your wounds healed fairly quickly.” Sam’s voice was quite down as he spoke. His paw was on the table I reached out and grabbed it. He placed his other paw on top of my hand. 

I looked up at him and smiled. “You don’t need to apologize. It wasn’t your fault that I got attacked. You can’t blame yourself for that. I’m glad that you kept me alive. It was a difficult choice and I’m glad you made that choice. I really didn’t want to die myself honestly. I made a stupid choice setting up my camp where I did. In reality I shouldn’t have picked that spot but it was getting late and I didn’t want to go any further.”

“Thanks but still can’t help but blame myself.” Sam said.

“Listen, don’t worry about it. What is important is that I’m alive and well.”

“That’s true.” Sam replied. 

I nodded, looked at Sam and smiled. “So where is all my stuff anyway?”

“We have it downstairs put away. I kind of figured you wouldn’t want to go back there and get it yourself so I went with Tyler to get it.” Sam explained.

“Yeah, that’s true. I don’t think I’d be able to go back there.” I let out a soft laugh and Sam smiled for a bit before a different more serious look came over his face. He sighed and looked at me. “Well now I have to ask since you already have the one gift do you want the other? Do you want to become a werewolf? I know that’s a lot to hear especially since you just woke up.” Yes, I did want to become one but I didn’t want to say that right away. I don’t think I was ready for that just yet. It would be awesome to be a werewolf. I looked at Sam. “Yes, I do want the gift but I don’t think I’m ready for that just yet.” I said.

“That’s good to hear Jack, and don’t worry I wasn’t planning on doing it today. You need to get better. Your body wouldn’t be able to handle that yet. You’d survive the change but you’d lose control of yourself and go off.” 

“I see, when do you plan on changing me then?” I asked.

“I don’t plan on doing that for at least a month. That should be enough time but you could wait longer if you want.”

“I’ll think about it.” I said.

“Alright, for now just relax and make yourself comfortable. We’re your family now and we want you to feel at home.”

“Thanks Sam.” I said. “Uh when do you want me to return to work?”

“Don’t worry about that. You return when you’re feeling better. Either way someone will be here with you each day until you return to work.”

“That sounds good to me.” I said.

“So what do you want to do in the meantime?”

“You know I just want to relax and just be with my family.” I said.

“As you wish.” 

Sam and I got up from the table and headed back into the room. He had his hand or well paw on my shoulder as we walked back into the room. Everyone was still sitting on the couch now however watching TV. Whatever they were watching was in a commercial break. I sat down in between Jaci and Alyx. When the show came back on I was quite surprised at what they were actually watching.

“A cooking show, really?”

“What’s wrong with that? We’re always looking for new ideas for the diner.” Tyler said. 

“Sorry it just wasn’t what I was expecting.” 

“We know how to cook. We can all cook pretty well too.” Tyler said.

“Well now I know why the food is always so good there.” 

“Yeah, uh thanks.” Tyler said looking away from me.

“Nice one Jack you made Tyler blush. He rarely gets complimented on the food he makes.” Jaci said.

“Really? That’s surprising. The food really is good there. I’m being serious.” 

Tyler looked at me, “I know you are, thank you Jack. It feels good to hear that.”

“Don’t mention it. So what are some of the new things you want to try out?” 

“I can show you if you want.” Tyler said.

“Sure, I’m pretty hungry anyway.”

“I think we all are.” Sam said. “Come on let’s go make some dinner.”

We all got up and headed into the kitchen. Tyler quickly went to work making dinner. While the rest of us just sat around to table.

“So what do you guys normally eat?” I asked.

“Eh, we can eat anything. We don’t have to eat raw meat all the time. We’ve become accustom to normal human food. Though we all have our moments from time to time but that’s very rare now.” Sam explained.  

“That’s cool. I guess all those old werewolf stories aren’t really true.” 

“Yes and no. It really depends on the werewolf. Most of us are civilized now. We’ve adapted to be around humans and also adapted to their food. Though there are some werewolves who still live far away from humans. Those werewolves do still feed on humans.” Sam said.

“Do any of them live around here?”

“No.” Sam said shaking his head.

“Is there any other werewolves that live around here?”

“No we’re the only ones as of right now anyway.” Sam replied. “It’s kind of sad in a way I guess. It’d be nice. Most werewolf packs live peacefully together but we respect each others privacy as well.”

“I wish the same could be said for humans.” I said.

“Yeah, I know what you mean.” Sam said. “Enough about us though. I’m curious to hear where you’ve been to.” 

“The orphanage I was in was in Maine. After I turned eighteen I took what belongs I had on me and left. I traveled down into New Hampshire did a few odd jobs there. I was a janitor doing the night shift at a hospital for a while. After that I went down to Connecticut and got a job at a Fast food place. I didn’t stay there that long honestly. From there I went to New York and got a job as a delivery driver. I was there for quite awhile. A few months later I decided it was time to move on. So I went to Ohio after that and did a few more odd jobs there before moving on to Iowa. In Iowa I worked at a local grocery store as a cashier. From Iowa I went to Mississippi. Got a job at a car dealership washing cars and stuff. Then I went down to Florida and worked as a busboy in a local restaurant. After Florida I went to Louisiana working as a security guard at a office building. Then I went on to Arizona and worked as a cashier at a gas station and now I’m here.” 

“Well you had quite the journey didn’t you?” Alyx asked.

“You can say that. Though it wasn’t as fun as one may think.” I noted.

“Where did you stay during all of that?” Dan asked.

“Motels mostly. I paid for the Motel room with the money I made at each job. Then the other money went towards food and eventually bus tickets.” 

“What made you come here?” Alyx asked.

“It was just where I wanted to go really. No rhyme or reason honestly.” 

“Wow that’s impressive and that was all over a three year span.” Sam said.

“Yeah it feels nice to actually settle down somewhere for once and the reminds me. If you guys all work at the diner and are the only ones who worked there; why did you hire me?”

“We just needed the help and you applied at the right time honestly. We were all hesitant at first, but you kind of grew on us. We began to trust you and eventually we liked you a lot. You were very friendly towards all the customers and us. I don’t know, you just had a spark in you that we all liked and now you’re here living with us. Funny how things work out. Had I’d known you were just living out of a motel I would’ve let you stay with us.” Sam explained. 

“Eh it’s fine. I don’t like mentioning that to the people I work with. If they offered me to live with them I’d be afraid I’d become a bother so I don’t say anything.” 

“That’s understandable.” Sam said. 

“I have another question.”

“Shoot.” Sam replied.

“Were you hesitant when I told you I was going camping?” 

“To be honest yes but I didn’t want to say anything. Now in reality I should have stopped you right then and there but I wasn’t sure how you’d react. It doesn’t matter now obviously and we all felt that you deserved the time off. So we let you go but we did watch out for you mostly.” Sam explained. 

“Hey there are some things that you just can’t control.”

“I know but again I should have just told you right then and there when you first asked.” Sam mentioned.

“Again there’s no reason to blame yourself for something you didn’t do.”

“You’re right. It’s just who I am.” Sam replied.

“So can I ask how you all became a werewolf?” 

“I knew that question would come up eventually.” Sam said.

“I’m sorry it’s just my curiosity talking. You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to I understand.”

“No it’s fine, really. Um, well as for me I was technically born with it. I chose to accept the gift at the age of twenty-four.” Sam explained.

“As for me I met Sam at a young age and he gave me the gift when I turned twenty.” Jaci said. 

“I was given the gift by a different werewolf. After that I was on my own much like you were until I met Sam.” Alyx said.

“It’s a bit of a different story for me. I was attacked by a werewolf, left to die, or so I thought. Eventually I just got used to the new me. Then I met Sam when I arrived here and he brought me in.” Dan explained.

“I was born with it much like Sam.” Tyler said as he was putting dinner in the oven. He then came over and sat down at the table. 

“I didn’t know you could really be born with it.” I said.

“Yeah you can. If both of your parents are werewolves that is.” Sam explained.

“Ah okay. That makes sense.” I replied. “So what are we having for dinner Tyler?” 

“We’re having a rosemary roasted chicken breast with some seasoned roasted potatoes and a green bean medley.” 

“That sounds amazing.” I said.

“Yeah it’s something new. I think people will love it.” 

“I’m sure they will. Everything you make is great.” Sam said. 

“Thanks guys it really means a lot.” 

“Yeah, I wish I could cook like you.” I said.

“Well I can teach you a few things tomorrow if you want.”

“That would be great but who would do all the cooking at the diner?” I asked.

“Sam and Alyx know how to cook. I’m sure they could handle it for one day.”

“Yeah, you deserve a break. You haven’t had one in a while. We’ll be fine for one day.” Sam said. 

“Well alright then tomorrow it is.” I said.

“I hope you’re ready you’re going to learn a lot.” 

“Just go easy on me. That’s all I ask. It’ll be my first time.” I noted.

“Don’t worry, I will and honestly teaching you would be a great help over all. As of right now it’s just myself and Alyx in the kitchen while Sam, Jaci, and down are all out front and you are just all around really, bussing, washing dishes and stuff as well as cleaning up.”

“Yeah, that place gets really busy for how small the town is.” I said.

“Well we get a lot of people who come from out of town to eat there.” 

“That’s pretty cool.” I said smiling.

“It is, it feels good to know your food is liked by a lot of people. Though they don’t compliment me directly I know they like it. That’s why I was kind of taken back when you said my food was good.”

“Well it’s true your food is good.” I replied. 

“Thanks Jack, I’m glad you like it.” 

The oven beeped. Tyler got up and headed towards it. Jaci got up and got some plates and silverware and set the table. Tyler brought over the food and gave everyone a serving. 

“There you go guys enjoy.” He said. Now it was a little weird to me to be served by a werewolf, and well it was odd to see a werewolf cooking but you know it really didn’t bother me all that much because to the others it was normal. I mean all the customers at the diner are served by werewolves though there in their human form they’re still werewolves. I smiled looked around at everyone. They were all so happy. I was happy. A warm feeling came over me. This was an experience I never had before. Sitting around a table and eating with, well a family. I took a bite of my food. It was really delicious. All these flavors combined to form one super flavor. The chicken was so juicy and tender. 

“This is great Tyler. Where did you learn how to cook?” I asked.

“Thanks. I’ve always been a cook even before I was a werewolf. When I met Sam I told him about that and we decided to open up our own place.” 

“I guess I’m really in for it tomorrow.” I said.

“Hey I did warn you but again I’ll go easy on you.” Tyler smirked. We all continued eating and talking. It’s funny really. We were all talking so much that it felt like I was always a part of their family even though that’s not true. I didn’t know how to explain it. My mind was just one big jumbled mess but hey I guess it could be worse. 

After we were all finished eating Jaci got up and cleared away all the dishes and set them on the counter. 

“Thanks for cooking us dinner Tyler. We really should do this more often.” Sam said.

“You’re welcome and yeah I know we’re usually so busy that we really don’t have time for it. It felt really good to have some time off.” Tyler said.

“It did, but it was only fair to Jack. We had to make him feel at home and it was only right if everyone was here.” Sam mentioned. I smiled and looked at everyone as they looked at me. 

“Thanks for making me feel welcome everyone. I really appreciate it.” I said.

“You’re welcome Jack. I guess we should clean up. It’s going to a long day tomorrow.” Sam said.

“I can clean up, you guys need to get some rest if you’re all going back to work tomorrow.” I said.

“You don’t have to help clean up and honestly. We don’t really need that much sleep. Working long hours really doesn’t bother us. You get used to it after a while.” Jaci replied.

“No, I want to help, you guys have given me a home and a family. It’s the least I can do especially since I can’t go back to work yet.”

“Fair enough. You can clean up. We won’t stop you.” Jaci said.

“At least let me help you clean up.” Alyx said. 

“Alright.” I went over to the sink and started to wash the dishes. Alyx came over and started to dry what I had washed while the others went into the living room.

“I have to be honest with you Jack. Ever since you started working with us everyone has been so much happier. It’s like you gave us all new life. There’s just something about you that we all really like.” Alyx said.

“I’m just a normal human. I don’t get why I’m so special.” I said.

“Jack your just so nice and loving towards everyone not just us but all our customers. You should hear all the compliments we get about you.”

“That’s just me. I’m nice towards everyone even if I don’t get it back. You guys being the only exception now honestly.” I explained.

“I don’t get how people can’t be nice you you back.”

“That’s just how people are. They don’t care about others showing happiness towards them even though doing it can make a big difference.” I said.

“Humans are dumb.”

“I’ve been saying that for a long time.” I chuckled.

After we finished the dishes we went into the living room to join the others. 

“Hey you two we just put in a movie come on and join us.” Sam said.

“Cool what are you watching?” I asked.

“A classic, Shawshank Redemption.” 

“Nice I love that movie.” I replied. Alyx and I walked over to the couch. I sat down in between Sam and Dan. I glanced over at the two of them as I sat down. They were both taller than me even when I was sitting but hey that’s werewolves for you. As the movie went on I felt myself begin to grow tired. My eyes grew heavy and soon I couldn’t open them any further. I fell asleep. 

When I woke up the movie had just ended. 

“Well hey there sleepy.” Sam said rubbing my head. I didn’t realize I had fallen asleep on him. I shot up and rubbed my eyes. “Sorry about that. I didn’t realize how tired I really was.” I said.

“Don’t worry about it. I don’t mind.” 

“I can honestly say that I’ve never done that before.” I confessed.

“We all do it.”

“What time is it?” I asked.

“Almost eleven.”

“I think I’m going to go to bed.” I replied.

“We all are. It’s going to be a busy day for us. For you, you just take it easy and relax. Tyler will be here with you remember.” 

“Yes, I know. Where am I going to sleep?” I questioned.

“In the same room where you were.” I nodded and got up from the couch. “Goodnight everyone, and thank you.” I said.

“Good night Jack and again there’s no need to thank us. You’re a part of the family now.” Sam said.

“Goodnight Jack.” The others replied. I smiled and headed up stairs towards my room. Once in I headed into the bathroom first to wash up before bed. Looking at myself in the mirror, I smiled. It felt good to be here. Tomorrow is going to be a new day and I can’t wait for it to come. I’ve always wanted to learn how to cook be never really got around to learning and tomorrow I was going to learn from a master. I had to laugh at that a bit. Exiting the bathroom I crawled into the bed. It was bigger than any bed I had ever been in before and it was very comfortable. .

 

The others were still downstairs watching TV. 

“I think Jack is going to be a great fit for us no matter if he wants to become a werewolf or not.” Sam said.

“I think we can all agree on that.” Jaci said. The others smiled and nodded their heads. “Yeah he really is. He really loves it here too. I mean just being with us in the woods.” Dan said.

“It’s certainly better than what he was doing.” Tyler said.

“Yeah and he’s just so nice.” Alyx chimed in.”

“He is he really is.” Sam said.

“Aren’t you glad you made that choice?” Jaci asked.

“I am I really am.” Sam replied.

“What are we going to if he wants to be a werewolf and has to you know?” Tyler asked

“I’ll talk to him about that when the time comes. I think he does want to become a werewolf. Granted he only has to do that once then we can help him from there.” Sam said.

“Alright. I think that’s a good idea.” Tyler said

“Good now I think it’s time we all went to bed.” Jaci said. Everyone said goodnight to each other before heading off to bed. They could all agree Jack was a great addition. They were happy and he was happy.

 

As I laid in bed I thought about what has happened to me over the past two days. One day I was in the middle of the forest camping alone by myself. The next I was in a home with werewolves. No not just werewolves. I was with my family. It’s funny really I’ve always wanted to become a werewolf. This would certainly make for an interesting story 

to say the least.



© 2016 thewolfguy5


Author's Note

thewolfguy5
***This is a hold title until I come up with something that fits better. I know this needs serious work. I'm not a professional by any means. I know the grammar is off, the story itself could use work. That's why I'm finally branching out. I want to make this into something. I'm really hoping I can get the help I need and turn this into something good. I'm open to any suggestions. My love of nature and cooking is apparent. I want to know what needs to be improved. How is the dialogue so far. Am I straying off topic etc etc. This is something I'm becoming passionate about and I want to make it great.
I'm currently Six Chapters in but I will post them one by one as the previous gets fixed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
Added on April 22, 2016
Last Updated on April 22, 2016


Author

thewolfguy5
thewolfguy5

Larksville, PA



Writing