No Words

No Words

A Story by Ioana Georgiana
"

A woman was diagnosed with last stage cancer. Now, the patient is on her dying breath. She has a final wish: to see her son for the last time

"

  He took a deep breath and knocked on the door. A doctor welcomed him, his expression was hard as stone. Was it disgust or sympathy that he felt towards the troubled man? His mother was dying from cancer. Few hours left to live.  Her final wish, to see her son one more time before she goes. Her wish was granted.  Out of her child's will, not because of some stupid charity.  If you had cancer, you were a goner, as there was no cure available at that time. When you had cancer, people started seeing you in a different light. They pitied you. Or at least that's what you were made to believe.

"I'm going to leave you two alone now." The man in the stark white lab coat announced, stepping out of the room . 

Once the door shut, the man fell to his knees and began sobbing violently. He couldn't bare seeing the one that gave birth to him so weak. His head raised,   somber eyes were now  peeking at the corpse-like figure . Pale, fragile, thin. Nearing the bed, he took her hands in his, squeezing them softly.  They were ice cold. Her eyes squinted slightly from the bright light as she fluttered her eyelids open. Lifting one arm, as much as she could, she pointed to a glass of water. She was too weak to utter a few words. Her son got up, picking up the glass, helping his mother drink.

Then, he sat back down on the chair, just staring at her, as if she were a ghost. The chemotherapy took a toll on her. It was too painful for him to watch this sudden transformation, but he promised not to leave her side. At least not until her last breath. Which wasn't going to be far from now. He kissed her forehead tenderly. Suddenly, the monitor started beeping, her heart rate dropped. The nightmare was finally over.  

She lost the battle with the disease, but at least her soul was set free. The doctor came in, announcing the time of death. The man waved miserably before silently exiting the room.

© 2015 Ioana Georgiana


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

If there's no cure, then what is chemo-therapy, and why is the mother on it? How can she drink water if she can't talk, and is on her last breath? Why is the doctor so assuming and rude? And what purpose does this story hold? If only to convey the emotion that the son feels, then I suggest that you give him more character. Everyone is one-dimensional, there isn't much motivation, and the the story isn't very credible. I can appreciate the emotion that you want to convey, but there isn't enough here to properly deliver it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


a sad story that was very well written. Great job :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ioana Georgiana

8 Years Ago

Thank you :)
I like how brief it is, and you did a good job on conveying everything in such a short space. Made me sad, too. Good job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ioana Georgiana

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 13, 2015
Last Updated on August 13, 2015
Tags: death, cancer, drama, narrative, third person writing

Author

Ioana Georgiana
Ioana Georgiana

Romania



About
A twenty year old with a knack for everything written. I breathe by filling my lungs with words. You can also find me at jolenepoetry on Instagram. more..

Writing