One-Liners

One-Liners

A Poem by tiefightersunite
"

class prompt. working on turning a few into actual pieces.

"

1.       There are eyes on my ceiling, looking through mine.

2.       The dandelion lay dying on her dashboard.

3.       Light fell only on the bench next to the Japanese maple, illuminating its one broken arm.

4.       That day her friendship bracelet broke, frayed beyond fixing, was the end of summer; not in temperature but in spirit.

5.       We marched together, side by side in the streets of Chicago, with not one destination but all.

6.       I saw you pass in the hall and laughed quietly: the lies had sprung to your lips too easily and now they were torn down, just by you being here.

7.       She crossed her legs impatiently, wincing at the sickly nervousness in her belly and the sweat on her brow.

8.       It was never the time.

9.       Pushing his glasses up on the bridge of his nose, he cleared his throat and looked heavenward for support before speaking.

10.   He told her he loved her, and all she could do was cry.

11.   By the time she awoke, the gray clouds had passed to reveal a dazzling sun, trickling through the autumn leaves like liquid gold.

12.   Her purple bandana was ripped down the middle from a day that she would never forget.

13.   She gripped the banister with unsteady unease, teetering back and forth on her too-high heels.

14.   The old gypsy woman mumbled a garbled mixture of Russian and street slang at the passersby.

15.   When would it end? After each could stand it no more?

16.   April; your body was mine.

17.   I feel used, spent, scattered like autumn leaves across the road.

18.   Holding her breath, she counted to twenty before resurfacing and blinking the water out of her eyes.

19.   The river was too wide to cross.

20.   The lecture droned a monotone background noise, a mere buzz behind her raging thoughts.

21.   The water tasted bitter, too manufactured for her rustic taste buds.

22.   Her jeans were slung low on her hips, revealing the tip of a tattoo on her left side.

23.   She couldn’t do it; she just couldn’t bring herself to stoop so low.

24.   A sickly aftertaste of alcohol clung to her teeth, coating her slow tongue with an old fuzzy sensation.

25.   How he had wandered into the bad part of town he wasn’t sure, but getting out would be difficult.

26.   It’s not worth it anymore.

27.   His words stung like wasps in her mind, their venom reacting with her emotions like allergens in the lungs.

28.   The richest country in the world is also the smallest, and the least generous with its wealth.

29.   Always the letdown.

30.   After talking to him every day for a year, when they parted ways she felt bereft of companionship; there was nothing to do with her life anymore.

1.       Smoke curls out from his bruised lips, circling his face in a lucid cloud.

2.       There was something honest and light about his eyes; though his actions would prove otherwise.

        Relief comes finally when the numb buzz floods my veins, and thoughts stumble into silence and warm drifting sleep...

4.       Her brakes squealed too loud in the early morning silence, startling two squirrels out of their chatter.

5.       The warm vapor rising off her coffee fogged her glasses, making the world a dim fuzzy blur.

 

 

 

© 2009 tiefightersunite


Author's Note

tiefightersunite
which ones work and which dont? i'd like to turn the best into full poems. also, ignore the wack numbering.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on November 5, 2009
Last Updated on November 10, 2009

Author

tiefightersunite
tiefightersunite

richmond, VA



About
i read, i write, i paint, i play. i think things through way too much. i like solitude most times. i love best friends, i adore poetry, and music is my main squeeze. talk to me, i'd love to know you. .. more..

Writing