When the Rain Came

When the Rain Came

A Poem by tiefightersunite
"

...i'll make it more of a poem later.

"

When the rain came we were altogether unprepared. Three leaks in the roof and we were ready to call it quits, but as long as we had buckets to spare it could be dealt with.

Time slowed to a crawl as the rain grew to a deluge outside your window, smacking the panes with as much force as mother nature could muster; fury against our reclusiveness.

The air mattress was slightly deflated under the constant pressure of our two bodies, the heat growing and stifling us under the comforter. Night was a hushed affair, only soft sounds and gentle snores and the feeling in the air of skin on skin.

The air in your room was thick with incense and pot, and my throat was sore by morning. The pillow we shared was too squishy, and both our necks felt the strain. The rain had stopped by first light; I know because the absence of sound awoke me.  Around ten the light became too much to shut out with mere eyelids, and we burrowed under the covers; a little fort for overgrown children. Under there we ran out of air fast, quickened breathing and shifting limbs and forgetting our purpose.

We stayed in bed til noon when we dragged ourselves out only for food and peeing. The cat followed us back in and stubbornly tried twice more to enter with its allergens to bombard our sinuses. Eventually we ventured out into the pale sunlight, only to be caught up in the wind and the leaves it carried. We kept this up til technology failed us around three, and it was back to bed for a mid-afternoon nap. We could do no wrong here, our bodies knew the song well, and this was mere rehearsal. By then the rain had picked up again, and it was with the soft shushing patter on the roof and windows that we eventually fell asleep again, this time prepared.

© 2009 tiefightersunite


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on December 3, 2009

Author

tiefightersunite
tiefightersunite

richmond, VA



About
i read, i write, i paint, i play. i think things through way too much. i like solitude most times. i love best friends, i adore poetry, and music is my main squeeze. talk to me, i'd love to know you. .. more..

Writing