A Killer's Prey

A Killer's Prey

A Story by Tierra Starr
"

I'm trying something different from what I usually write. :)

"

There’s an endless bright white all around me.

I am floating, somewhere void of space and noise. A cool breeze touches my bare skin, making the hairs on my arms stand on end. I am in a strange, but peaceful world where I feel free and relaxed. A feeling that I have long become a stranger to. These days, it’s impossible to be calm. Every day I am constantly looking over my shoulder, watching my back, on edge. It’s nice to finally feel free. There is no such thing as time here, so time doesn’t pass. But I’m too happy and calm to even think about the time. My mind is mostly empty of any thoughts except for happy memories and curiosity of this place I am in. I remember a time when I was a little girl. I was always so happy and blind to the evil in the world around me. Before I became afraid of the dark, before I started thinking there were monsters under my bed, before the world became a scary place, there were pure good times. I remember a day as a young girl when my family and I went to the fair that came to town every summer. I would always get so excited the day of our trip. Arriving there, getting my hand stamped and heading into this new world full of amazing things. Bright, blinking lights, fast rides creating a settle breeze, people screaming and laughing, and the smell of caramel and freshly fried dough tickling my nose. Oh and of course the delicious cotton candy. I cannot forget the cotton candy! It’s a dream world where fun follows you everywhere you go. Every turn filled with a new adventure. Every area presenting new toys and games.


The first time I could remember being scared was my first encounter with a clown. I remember being so frightened, looking around for my parents to save me from this crazy clown that kept reaching for me. But I couldn’t find them. He continued reaching down to pick me up but I wouldn’t let him. I started crying and the clown rushed me to an officer and left me. I was pretty dramatic growing up. I didn’t know what to think. I had thought the clown did something to my family and he was turning me in to the cops and blaming me for their disappearance. At the time I couldn’t imagine someone being any more evil than blaming an innocent person for a crime they didn’t do. I was young and silly and had a ridiculously crazy imagination. Obviously, the clown gave me to the cops because I was considered a lost child, but at the time, I was terrified. My parents found me and the rest of the night wasn’t so much fun considering my parents had both just about had a panic attack. I laugh at it now because back then, it had felt like I was in the biggest trouble of my life. I thought I was being sent to jail for murder, but now it’s something that the family just laughs about.


I escape my thoughts of the past as my body suddenly becomes heavy. I look around, grasping my surroundings. Slowly the walls start moving in towards me. I frantically look around me, seeking an escape. The whiteness that once surrounded me starts getting darker and darker, like the sun is setting. But it’s not a beautiful, nighttime darkness full of twinkling stars. It’s a blinding darkness, eating at my fear. Out of the darkness a glowing orange light shines from below me. I look down to see a flaming pit. Heat starts working its way up to my face, making me break into a sweat. I look at the pit again and I can see something coming out, fighting to get closer to me. Black blobs start reaching up. The more I panic, the heavier I become and suddenly I’m not floating anymore. I’m falling, fast. I try to find something to grab on to, anything to keep myself from falling into the pit that so eagerly wants to consume me, but there’s nothing around me to hold. The blobs get longer, reaching their arms up to my legs. As I get closer to the pit below, it gets darker and darker. As if the flame is being extinguished. I’m terrified and right before I hit the bottom I close my eyes tight. But my falling is halted and again I’m floating. I hesitantly open my eyes and start bawling.

I’m alive! Those monsters are gone and I am alive!

 Then I take a second look at my surroundings.

What is this place? Where am I? What is happening?

I was dropped in the middle of a dirt field. To the left and right of me is nothing but miles of bare ground that continues behind me as far as I can see. My muscles are tense but I get myself to stand up and walk towards a trail in the distance in front of me. On each side of the trail is an endless expansion of dense forest. Someone could get lost in those woods and never be found if they ventured too far off the trail. The trees looked as if they were clenching on to each other, protecting something from intruders. It was as if the trees were telling me that I wasn’t welcome. Hoping that I can find some life other than me, I quicken my pace to see where the trail leads.


            After a few minutes of walking, I hear a shuffling to my left. I quickly duck behind the nearest bush. I glance above my hiding spot to get a better look at whatever is making the noise. All I can see is the shadow of someone holding something. I lean forward and squint my eyes to make out the object the figure is holding. The dirt and twigs crunch under my foot. The shuffling stops. Their arm moves and I can make out the object in their hand.

They’re holding a knife. What are they doing with a knife?

I peak around the bush and a gasp escapes my throat, it’s her.

The figure holding a knife, it’s her!

She makes eye contact with me and gives me an evil smirk. Thoughts flood my mind as I sink deeper into my hiding place.

She’s here to get rid of me for good! Did she see me? Where can I hide? Is it inevitable that she will find me? Is this how it’s going to end without any time to say goodbye? What does she want from me? Oh my god, this is it!

I try to calm myself down and to reason with myself, but it’s impossible when her motives are obvious. I can see just under a thick branch her feet walking towards me. I jump out of my hiding spot and start screaming,” Leave me alone! What do you want from me? I’ll do anything! Just please don’t hurt me. I didn’t do anything I swear! I won’t tell anyone what happened, just please leave me alone! You’re secret’s safe I swear on my life!”

She laughs,” Oh honey, don’t you know that’s what I want?”

“What do you want from me?”

“Your life.”

In a second she’s sprinting full speed toward me with the knife firmly between both hands ready to sink into my skin.

 

I wake up in a panic and sweat. I quickly look around to see if she’s with me. I’m still alone, safe in my room. My heavy breathing slows down.

It was just a dream.

I sigh of relief. An annoying beeping noise completely takes me from my thoughts. I roll over and slap my alarm to make it stop. It’s time to get ready for another day.

 

You don’t know me, but you might as well now. My name’s Brenna Bradley. I guess you could say I’m a worrier. I always have been a paranoid freak when it comes to basically everything. I’ll be sitting at the kitchen table doing some homework when suddenly I’ll feel like someone’s watching me which freaks me out so bad that I rush to my room and close the curtains. It’s something I’m working on. My friends would say I’m also caring. I always put other people before myself, which sometimes is my downfall but I just can’t help it. And another thing that really stands out about me is that I’ve always been in really great shape. I’ve played soccer for as long as I could remember and I take a nice long run after school every day. It’s just the most amazing way to get over every day troubles. It’s such a beautiful thing finishing your day off with a refreshing run while the sun sets.

 

After I finish with my shower, I quickly run a comb through my wet brown hair. As always, it's a war with numerous knots. I always hated brushing my hair while it’s wet, but today I don’t have a choice since I’m running late. I always listen to music when I get ready but I wouldn’t even be able to finish one song this morning before rushing out the door. Today is already off to a rough start.

© 2013 Tierra Starr


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on December 26, 2013
Last Updated on December 26, 2013
Tags: story, mystery, drama, young, murder

Author

Tierra Starr
Tierra Starr

MT



About
I am a 20 year old just entering college looking for my writing identity. I have a passion that I haven't often shared and i'd love for my voice to finally be heard. more..

Writing