FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Good Luck: Friend, Bad Luck: Servant

Good Luck: Friend, Bad Luck: Servant

A Chapter by timewastersoph

Luck.
It’s the one thing we all wish we had more of.
If one were to have more luck, then they’ll have a happy life.
At least, that’s what they say.
One’s luck can be determined by the amount of situations that they have been in.
What are these situations?
Simple, the many times one has been in a good situation verses the amount of times one has been in a bad situation would determine the luck of a person.
A good situation would be considered lucky.
A bad situation would be considered unlucky.
Say if one would have a ratio of 1:10, in favour of good luck of course.
That would mean 1 in 10 times a luck situation would occur, it would be a bad luck situation.
That’s lucky.
But what if it was the opposite?
What if 1 in 10 situations was a good luck situation?
That would be unlucky.
However, there are ways to increase one’s luck.
Although it’s not scientifically proven, a charm could increase one’s luck.
A charm such as a lucky bracelet.
Given to one by a special someone such as a lover, or family member.
It is believed that by keeping a love close, your luck shall increase.
But because this theory had not been scientifically proven, it shall remain unknown whether it helps or not.
However, one does not need scientific evidence to believe in the illusion known as luck.
So, if I, the Narrator, would say that lucky charms is all a lie,
Would you believe me?
No, of course not.
We all have our own beliefs of course.
And we all like to believe in a myth such as luck, don’t we?
So why would the Narrator say that it’s a lie?
Simple.
Because it is.
Lucky charms are said to bring one more luck.
To increase one’s luck.
To bring more good luck scenarios.
This is all a lie.
Lucky charms are things ranging from bracelets to underwear.
And what do they do?
They control one’s luck.
Depending on how lucky one is, it could give off an illusion of increasing one’s luck.
So what would happen if the unluckiest person in the world received one?
Would they become more lucky?
No.
Not at all.
It merely creates that 1 in 10 chance of a good luck scenario.
After, one would get the other 9 bad luck scenarios.
Or does it?
Actually, it may increase one’s luck slightly.
Consider it like this;
Every time one would hope of something lucky, it happens.
However, later something unlucky would happen.
Does that increase one’s luck?
Maybe.
But the bad luck scenario shall match the good luck scenario in terms of luckiness.
For example;
If one were to hope for something small,
Then the resulting bad luck shall be small.
If one were to hope for something big,
Then the resulting bad luck shall be big.
You want to pass the test?
Great, later you’ll also slip.
You want them to fall in love with you?
Great, then you will face utter humiliation for the rest of your school years.
That’s the cost of messing around with luck.
So, if our main protagonist came across one of these lucky charms, what would happen?
How would I know?
I’m just the Narrator after all.
Besides, the story is only just beginning...

...

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away-
Just Kidding!

It was sometime in September, 3 weeks in of the school year.

The autumn leaves were already by now on the ground, as crisp as ever, and winter was starting to settle in. Just starting. Besides, winter is not welcome just yet, as it wasn’t the correct month.

The chilled winter breeze would make one truly believe that it would snow that year. It would make one hope of the many snowmen they would build and all the fun snowball fights.
But, alas, the snow never comes.
Makes one laugh at the mere suggestion of snow as It hadn’t snowed in over 3 years.

The not yet icy path, full to the brim with the crisp autumn leaves were currently occupied by the many students who were currently on their way to class.

The noise?
Well it was silent.
With only the faint crunches of the leaves beneath student’s feet, as if the leaves itself were holding back, afraid to disturb the peace.

It was just another usual day in Alepou High School.
The birds were scattered across the field, hunting their prey deep in the school’s soil.
Clouds hovered in the sky, preventing a single drop of sunlight to fall on the school.

The school itself was very big. One very big building, much like the size of a mansion, with a few trees scattered on each side.

Greeting the entrance, was a fairly sized fountain.
Students of the school would throw in spare change in hopes of their wish coming true.
Depending on their luck it just might.
Speaking of luck,

In the midst of the crowded pathway, a young girl who went by the nickname ‘Ella’ pushed past shouting, “Excuse me! Arrgghh, I’m late!”

Carmella, 13, Caramel brown hair, Emerald green eyes, New to this school as of this year, no friends, a shut in, unlucky.
If all the students were outside, then how is Ella late?

“I have study classes to go to, people!”
That’s it!
Ella has not passed a single test at her last school so, to catch up, teachers had signed her up to attend extra classes.
How unlucky.

She passed the fountain in a hurry, flicking a coin in as she went.
'I spent 50 pence on that wish, better be worth it!'

Opening the front doors of the school, she made it through the reception area and ran down the halls, trying to find where class A1 was.
“Don’t run in the halls!” A passing teacher yelled, causing Ella to slow to a light jog.
“Section A, Floor 1, Class 1.” Ella muttered under her breath, entering section A.
The school is divided into three sections; Section A, Section B and Section C. Section A would be on the left of the building whereas Section C would be on the right. Section B, However, is behind the school in a different building, connecting with a pathway lined with beautiful Sakura trees.

To know the floor of a class, one would have to check the number.
As there are three floors in total, it can only go up to the two digit number 29.
For example; A1 to A9 would be on floor 1. A10 to A19 would be on floor 2. A20 to A29 would be floor 3.

“Aha! Class A1!” Ella exclaimed pointing triumphantly towards the stated classroom.
Instead of knocking, like one would do when they are late, Ella barged right in therefore interrupting the class.
“and that’s how-“
“Sorry I’m late.” Ella stated while quickly taking her seat at the back of the class next to the wall.
The teacher looked irritated, to say the least, but continued the class nevertheless.

Something about maths. Maybe numbers... or fractions. Ella wasn’t very good at telling the difference.
Most students at the study class were sat at the front, possibly hungry for information, whereas some were at the back, not really bothered.
Nie, only two were at the back. Including Ella.

The other person?
A girl, Ella forgot her name, midnight black hair, Ruby red eyes, she must have friends, not really interested in the lesson.
The girl’s ruby eyes flicked over to Ella in a questioning gaze.
Ella, as quick as anything, looked away, suddenly determined... to solve the sum...
All her determination disappeared as soon as she saw it.

She slumped down onto her desk, putting her face in the bend of her arm. Completely. Giving. Up.

Letting out an exhausted sigh, she closed her eyes attempting to get rid of the pain that had somehow formed in her head.

“You need some help?”

It was a soft and angelic voice that, if she was crazy, cured her paining head. The voice was quiet, just loud enough to hear if one were listening.

Ella raised her head and glanced next to her, letting out a ‘huh?’ as she did so.
The previously mentioned girl repeated her question.

“Do you need help?”

The girl showed no signs of frustration. In fact, her expression was completely blank. Unreadable.

In a fraction of a millisecond, Ella considered whether or not to accept.
“Yes, please.” She answered sheepishly, rubbing her neck.

The girl moved her desk closer and peered at Ella’s worksheet.
Yes, it was fractions. Fractions to decimals.

“Numerator divided by denominator.” She stated in a monotone.

Ella’s brain gears then started to turn rapidly, trying to understand this new information.

A sigh came from the girl as she then began to point and write on the worksheet.
“The numerator is the top number.” She pointed to the top number of the first sum which was ½.
“and the denominator is the bottom number.” She pointed to the bottom number, 2.
“In other words; 1 divided by 2.”
Ella still didn’t get it.

“Sorry, but could you maybe do the first sum? Maybe I could understand better.” Ella asked.
The girl let out another sigh.
Unclear whether she was frustrated or just releasing breath, Ella added, “Of course, you don’t have to if you don’t want to!”
Waving her hands frantically, as if the red-eyed girl would kill her, she panicked.
Said red-eyed girl didn’t seem to be bothered.

“not at all, beats sitting here with nothing to do.” She replied in that same monotone.
And so she had done the first sum.
“So the answer would be 0.5. Understand?” questioning red eyes fell on the brunette.

“yeah. I think so.” Ella had her hand on her chin and the other under her elbow while nodding her head slightly.
“Then I would have to ask that you do the rest on your own. If you get stuck just ask. I’ll check them at the end.”
Ella nodded and pulled a determined expression before noticing something.
“Hey, don’t you sit next to me in every lesson?” she asked.
Without turning to Ella, The red-eyed girl answered, “Yes, my name is Ashley.”
“well mine is-“
“Carmella, I know.”
Ella turned to her sheet.
'How did she know my name?'

...

“Aw, Yeah! I totally nailed Fractions!” Ella cheered as study class ended.
Ashley was busy putting her desk back into it’s original position.

“Yes, you did.” Ashley agreed, allowing herself a small smile.
As they walked out of the now empty classroom, Ella had suddenly remembered a certain wish she had made that day.
With a determined expression she thought, Hopefully my wish comes true.
They turned a corner, making their way to form class in Section C.

“Thanks again for helping me.” Ella said, her expression morphing to that of a serious one.

“Like I said, it was no problem.”
Silence followed the statement, until the brunette decided to break it.
“Want to be friends?”

The red-eyed girl stopped in her tracks.
They were in the middle of a corridor, still in Section A.

The halls were deserted. Obviously.
Almost every student was outside at that moment.
A mischievous smile formed on Ashley’s face as the question was spoken.
Not facing Ella she asked, “Are you sure about that?”

Her tone sent chills down Ella’s spine as she suddenly reconsidered-
No! I worked so hard for this! That and the fact that I am super ultra desperate for friends... or at least one...
“Yes.” She replied with her voice full of determination.

Unnoticed by Ella, after the question was asked, they began to walk again.
The red-eyed girl had led her to a secluded area.
Ella had guessed that they were somewhere in the middle of the main building, which contains both Section A and C, and Section C.
They were currently standing at a corner.
Not a single soul in sight.
No one would hear her scream.
No where to run.
It’s a perfect place for a murder...

“Alright, I accept.” Ashley stated, bringing Ella out of her thoughts.
Turning around, she added, “But only if you do something for me.”
A stampede of thoughts stomped through Ella’s mind. She was panicking.
The black haired girl’s red eyes were carefully observing every detail of the brunette. Knowing exactly how she’s feeling, an evil glint appeared in her eye.
“You... have to be my servant.”
In a matter of mere seconds, Ella transformed from a state of panic to shock.

To say the least; this was not what she was expecting.
And to put it bluntly; she was expecting to be a sacrifice for some kind of ritual.
Ashley’s face held an amused expression.
“now let me guess; you thought I was going to kill you?” her angelic voice took on an amused tone.

Not understanding what the heck just happened, Ella pointed an accusing finger at the other girl and replied, “H-how did you know?”
The girl in question giggled.
“Silly, everyone here thinks I’m associated with the devil for some reason.” She said it in such a casual voice that it was hard to believe.
“Maybe it’s your eyes?” Ella suggested.
In a split second a frown appeared on Ashley’s face, scaring Ella.
“what about my eyes?” she demanded in a threatening tone.
Ella took a couple of steps back and, in turn, Ashley took a couple of steps forward.
“Nothing!”
Ella closed her eyes, afraid of the punishment that she knew will come.
Out of the blue, a soft giggle was heard.
“Oh, Silly!”
Ella opened her eyes, confused by the sudden change of atmosphere.
“I know that they think I’m a devil of some sort because of my eyes.”
Ella relaxed a little.
'Great, I’m not going to die today.'
“However,” oh no, this can’t be good. “even knowing this, you still want to be my friend?”
But of course, considering how desperate she was;
“Of course! I’ll be the best servant ever!”

...

Somehow, the two had made it to class in time.
However, it was clear that Ella was almost late as she was panting.
But why wasn’t Ashley exhausted?
“Did I have to carry you?” Ella groaned out, barely active enough to say the sentence.
“Yes, Caramel.” The red-eyed girl replied.
“And why’s my name Caramel?” Ella complained, spreading out her arms on her desk.

They were both sat in their seats at the back of the class.
“It’s a pet name of course.” Ashley stated, causing Ella to get the wrong idea and blush.

However, before Ella could reply, Ashley added, “A lovely name for a dog.”
Ella let out a frustrated breath, deciding to shift her attention over to the teacher who was explaining some announcements to the class.

Ashley pouted and, moving her desk closer towards Ella’s, playfully said, “aw, don’t be like that.”
“You finally have someplace to sit at lunch.” She reasoned.
“That’s barely a reason to be happy for a pet name...” Ella muttered, sighing at the other girl’s logic.
Ella buried her face into her arms.
“Why not?” The red-eyed girl tilted her head in question.
“cause.” The brunette, however, did not offer any actual reason.
“Well everyone calls you by your nickname so I gave you a new one. Be thankful.”
“Gee, thanks.” Ella said from the comfort of her arms.
“is that sarcasm I detect in your voice?” Ashley raised an eyebrow at her newfound servant's attitude.
“So... sleepy...” Ella stated tiredly.
“I’ll be nice and let you sleep, but you’ll owe me one later.” Ashley smirked.
“yeah, yeah... whatever.”

When second lesson had finally ended, Ella was wide awake to a certain red-eyed girl sitting on her desk.

“Why are you sitting on my desk... and books?” Ella asked with an annoyed expression present on her face.
The girl in question giggled and replied, “Well, you see, I wanted to ask you something.”

Ella waved at her, a gesture to signal the other girl to ask the question.
“Go ahead.” Ella stated.
“I just wanted to know; who’s the lucky guy?” Ashley smirked and leaned forward a little.
Ella quickly pulled back, taking the chair with her, and started to panic.
“Uh, um, w-what guy?” She stuttered.
Ashley swung her legs from the side to face Ashley.

“Well I saw my servant making googly eyes at a certain guy during first and second lesson and being the nice master I am, I want to help my servant.” Ashley said in an innocent tone.
With a blush Ella sarcastically said, “So, you want to play matchmaker?”
She said it in a bored tone, but, if she was honest, she was anything but.
“So, Caramel, who’s the guy I got to talk to?”

Ella averted her gaze to her lap and began to fiddle with her fingers.
“Well...” She trailed off, to embarrassed to say.
“As your master, I order you to tell me.” Ashley smirked.
Ella made a sound. It was a moan much like a whimper.
“That seems kinda unfair...” She said quietly.
Ashley gave out an annoyed growl like groan.
“Caramel...” She said in a warning tone.
“Fine. It’s... It’s... It’s Jayden.” As soon as she said it, her face became twenty shades darker.
“Sorry, Caramel Apple, I couldn’t quite hear you. What was that?” The ‘master’ wore a mischievous expression.
“Jayden...”
Twenty more shades.
“What?”
She pretended not to hear.
“Jayden!”
She said it louder that time. So loud that she shocked Ashley.
“Jayden huh?” Ashley had a serious expression.
“It’s always Jayden...” She added as if deep in thought.
Now Ella was confused.
“what do you mean?” she questioned.
As if caught saying something she shouldn’t, Ashley panicked.

“Oh, nothing!”
She then covered it up with a smile which suddenly turned serious.
“Listen. I am your master, so I can stop you from seeing him, hanging out with him or even talking to him. However, sadly I cannot stop you from loving him. So I’ll help you!”
Ella’s confusion didn’t fade.
“But why would you stop me from seeing him?”
Ashley’s panic faded as she turned away, her face then hidden by her hair.
After a while of silence, she turned back with a big grin on her face.
“No reason!”
Ella’s confusion was then replaced with frustration as she puffed out her cheeks in annoyance.
“Geez, you made me worry for nothing!”
With Ella making a big deal out of the moment, and flailing her arms around, Ashley couldn’t help but giggle.

“Anyway... could you please get off my desk?” The subject changed as fast as it came.

The master then remembered where exactly she was sitting. However, she didn’t particularly care.
“Where else should I sit?” Without giving her servant any time to answer, she then added, “Wait, you want me to sit on your lap?”

Her tone made Ella feel rather uncomfortable. Ashley wore a light blush as she wore a flustered look, looking off to the side with her hand on her chest.
Ella felt her face increase by a couple, a lot, of degrees in temperature. In other words, she blushed around twenty shades of red.

“No! I don’t want you to sit in my lap! Sit in a chair for crying out loud!!” She stood up to shout this.

They had managed to wake up a girl, a couple of tables away, whose head was resting on her arms on her desk. She sleepily opened her grey eyes and let them lazily wonder over to the commotion. Her livid hair, tied in ponytails, slightly blocked her vision.

She saw the servant yelling at the master. An unlikely scene.
She saw the red eyed master laughing at the antics of her gullible servant.
“Oh, It’s Ashie... has she...” She yawned, “found a servant?”
She was beginning to fall asleep again.
“I’m... ask her... later...” She then dozed off, not caring that her sentence didn’t come out properly.

Ashley sneezed. She was now sat in a nearby chair.
“Hehe. Someone’s talking about you!” Ella exclaimed, pointing a finger at the other girl.
“Maybe... hey was one sneeze good, or was it two sneezes is good?” Ashley asked.
Ella tilted her head in thought.
“I think it’s one sneeze good, two sneeze bad.” She said after a while.
Ashley nodded then the two were silent, unable to come up with any thing to say.
Eventually, a grin broke out on Ashley’s face as she remembered something.
Ella became unsettled, cautious to why exactly Ashley was grinning like a maniac because if she’s learnt anything from today, it would be that Ashley is one unpredictably ironically devilish person.
“Well now, after classes are over for today, I’ll have to Introduce my new little servant to Jayden.” She said in a cheerful tone, managing to reach over the small desk to wrap an arm around the mentioned servant.
The mentioned servant blushed twenty shades of red at the mention of her crush. She froze. Her heart was pounding. She was going to stand face to face with Jayden. She didn’t know whether to be happy or very, very afraid.
“Relax! It’s just a meet’n’greet.” Ashley offered calming words, but it did nothing to soothe Ella.

Classes were over. For some reason they went quickly. Too quickly for Ella’s liking.
Ashley seemed giddy for those lessons, in fact one could almost see her jumping in excitement. If they squinted anyway.
Ella was convinced that that was just her eyes playing tricks on her.
Ashley strolled over to Ella’s table, even though they were already next to each other in seating. She strolled slowly, as if teasing the poor girl with her head rested in her arms, a depressing aura surrounding her.
“Alright! Let’s go see him!” Ashley exclaimed with an expression of pure evil meanwhile patting Ella’s back enthusiastically.
Ella stood up with a gloomy expression. This was going to be torture! She was not ready.
MISSION ABORT! MISSION ABORT!
She however couldn’t ‘abort’ the ‘mission’ because of a certain person forcing her to go through it.
They made their way to a certain clubroom. The weights club...?
In front of them was a large metal door with the sign ‘Weights Club’ written on it in poor handwriting.
“Why are we here?” Ella asked.
She has heard many things about this club. Many of those rumours being that it was a ‘Masochist’s club’ or that only the ‘future body-builders’ attended this club. All of the rumours were weird, making this club weird.
“Jayden’s in this club!” Was the simple, yet shocking response she had received.
Ella was shocked- no, astounded- that Jayden would join a club that was rumoured to be linked to masochists.
But wait, it kind of makes sense. He does have large muscles.
While she was daydreaming about Jayden’s muscles.
The door opened to reveal Jayden himself.
He was a tall pretty boy with chestnut spiked up hair and blue eyes. It was clear that he spent hours in the mirror to style his dyed hair. His muscles clearly stood out from his uniform as he looked bulkier than the average school kid.
“Hello, Jayden! This is Ella and I’m late for something, Bye!” Ashley quickly introduced then ran off.
Ella, snapping out of her daydream and realising the current danger she is currently in, struggled to find the right words.
“H-H-Hi.” She bowed low and managed to stutter out a single word.
“Well hello, Ella. You friends with Ashley?” Jayden asked, leaning against the doorway.
From her bowing position, Ella nodded rapidly without saying anything to screw things up.
“Well it’s nice to meet you, Friend of Ashley’s. I got to get going now, see you.” Jayden said smoothly then walked off, Leaving Ella in her bow position, which now ached.
“Score... we conversed.” Ella said, her tone completely giving away that she was in pain.
“Maybe you should get out of that position before you break something.” Ashley, who had just come back after Jayden left, suggested.
“Can’t... my body’s... stuck.”








© 2017 timewastersoph


Author's Note

timewastersoph
The paragraphing may be a little... off but its only because i got lazy... and in my stories a new paragraph should start at a new sentence to prevent the blockiness of text. However due to my laziness... you get sorta blocky text... yeah...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on November 27, 2017
Last Updated on November 27, 2017


Author

timewastersoph
timewastersoph

United Kingdom



Writing