A Startling Revelation

A Startling Revelation

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

Nuclear War

"
The movie "Threads" paints a very grim picture of the world caught in the death throughs of nuclear war. It is relevant to what we are seeing today. The movie depicts of when governments become too self-centered on retaliatory measures. This is where one nation stokes the flames of armed aggression against another nation and sends the whole world into chaos. Just like in many other movies that depict the same scenario they all have reoccurring themes of mutual self-destruction.
It is quite understandable how quickly things escalate to the point of no return. One of the biggest problems today is that governments continue to ack instinctively. It is like when one person has an argument with another regardless of the issues, when one acts with physical gestures against that other person too quickly that other person responses with another physical action. And soon without thinking of the consequences they become embroiled in actual physical violence.
Now when governments do this same type of scenario the consequences of escalating violence the general populations always pay a very heavy price. With the crisis in Ukraine that has reached a point of almost no return both the citizens of Ukraine and Russi are the ones suffering the most. Why? because their governments are locked in what is known as loggerheads. The failure to ease this crisis rests solely on the governments.  And when other nations support one country or the other creates an escalation of tensions similar to when two people refuse to back down from a confrontation.
It is easy to understand especially today even here in the United States our government too many times have put in play policies that the majority of Americans oppose. The wishes of the majority of citizens too many times are ignored by the power of government. So, like in the movie Threads it is government not the will of each nations general public that cause the escalation of tensions followed by armed aggression, followed by the unthinkable where the weapons of mass destruction come into play.
When governments fail to heed the will of the general public and steam roll ahead in whatever retaliatory action without providing for the consequences of their action for the general public everyone loses. Once a government reaches a point where they feel adding more fuel to the fire sort of speaking like the crisis in Ukraine or the tensions with China while those other nations with equal responses like the movie Threads quicky becomes a stark reality facing the globe. The world cannot allow governments act with impunity. The consequences are too great for all of humanity.  

© 2023 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on April 22, 2023
Last Updated on April 22, 2023
Tags: Ukraine crisis admits a continue

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing