A Heart-Felt Tragedy (Character: Lionel Roberts)

A Heart-Felt Tragedy (Character: Lionel Roberts)

A Chapter by Terrance M. A. Stanton
"

An unexpected tragedy takes place which changes Lionel's life around... well not really, just enough to go into a brief rage.

"

Chapter III: A Heart-Felt Tragedy

Gym is finally over and with Brent staring at me in disgust. I grabbed my belongings from the bleacher and headed for AP Chemistry. Before I could even get situated my chemistry teacher, Mr. Clark, hands me a pass to the Front Office. I wonder what this could be about. Am I in trouble, I didn’t do anything? Despite the fact that I don’t know why I’m being sent, I still have to go. I’m walking slowly just to think on the matter, “What did I do?” I say to myself “I didn’t hit Brent back.” Once downstairs I knew my journey was coming to an end. The front office is now only feet away and beyond its threshold is my fate. I cross over into the office and walk up to the decrepit old hag at counter. "Are you Lionel Roberts?" "Yes." "Your father is waiting for you outside,” What’s he doing here? This surpasses anything I was thinking about, this wasn’t even close. Well that’s a relief on my part. Gathering my thoughts in the Front Office I eventually confront Dad outside, "Yeah Dad?” I said exhausted. "It's Irene" Irene is my stepmother. Well, I suppose you can call her that. She just basically barged into the household after marrying Dad two months ago and even then I was completely oblivious to who she was.  I had no clue Dad was even dating but besides that, she’s grown on me for the two months I have known her, “What about Irene?” What he said completely threw me off course, "She's in the hospital." Why would she be in the hospital? I mean honestly, she doesn’t do anything but stay at home all day unless she had an accident in the kitchen. "What, what happened?" I exclaimed. “I don’t know, we were talking and then she just stopped breathing.” She just stopped breathing; just like that? That’s problematic "Is she ok?" I said concerned. Though I haven’t known her for very long she’s like a mother figure to me. We’ve had some great times together and it would ruin me if she left me and Dad like that with such a short notice.

Once we were in the car, it was a race on time. Rushing Dad wouldn’t help any so I’ll just sit back quietly, which is quite hard to do seeming that even in emergency he’s such a slow driver. What could have caused this? Why her right now? Why can’t it be some terrible person in society, murderers, thieves, thugs, etc.? Life just isn’t fair.

Surprisingly, our trip to the hospital didn’t take much time at all but now my main objective is to find Irene. I wasted no time harassing the clerk, to find Irene. Either one of two things was going to happen: The clerk would have thrown paperwork at me or the clerk would feel compassion towards me and tell me the room number. The clerk decided she wants me to do paperwork, so I just harassed even more until Dad forced me to concur. “I don’t understand, what is this? She could die any minute now and the b***h is giving us paperwork.” “Lionel calm down” I don’t understand how he can remain so calm with his wife dying. “What room is it Dad?” “Lionel” “What room is it Dad?” I repeated but this time shouting at him. “It’s Room 109,” Once he said that, I raced pass the registration booth and avoided contact with anyone in my way. I burst through every door until I got to her. "Irene" is what is said when I finally saw her. She’s completely quiet; not even a peep. The only noise in the room is a repetitive beep. Initially I believed she was in a comatose until she awoke just minutes of me being in the room with her. Seconds after her waking, Dad came into the room. “Lionel” Irene spoke. “Irene what’s wrong?” I asked her. “It’s lung cancer Lionel” Lung cancer, how could this be? She doesn’t smoke, nor has she been? Not now, not at this time in her life. She’s only thirty-five and still beautiful; it surely isn’t her time yet. After her breaking me the news I remained silent for quite some time. I essentially became invisible as Dad and her conversed. “Lionel” she eventually called out to me. “Yes?” “Come talk to me” “Irene” “Please Lionel, your voice really sooths me.” That’s nice to hear. Makes me feel a bit better despite what’s going on now. I grabbed a seat next to her and leaned in close. I’m speechless; I have no clue on what to say to her. “Lionel, you need to have kids young. I’ll give you until you’re seventeen.” What is she talking about, has she gone mental? “What?” “I need grandchildren now Lionel.” Now I see; she’s trying to be funny. I suppose it is but due to the situation it’s completely inappropriate. “I’m sure this isn’t how you thought your first day of school would go, huh?” She is right about that. This completely ruined the day or even the year. All I did is sigh, in response. “Did I ruin your day?” “You ruined my life more like.” I’m completely serious about that. I almost wanted to blame her for this but God knows I can’t. She can’t help the fact she has lung cancer and neither can I. “Harold could you get me some water, please?” She called out to Dad. “Yes darling.” When he left out the room the silence between Irene and I grew once again. When Dad reentered she asked me to turn on the television and we watched. None of us spoke a word to each other. It wasn’t until late, 2:34 A.M. to be exact, when I called out to her “Irene?” She didn’t respond. “Irene” I called out once more. “Dad, dad she’s not responding!” Dad, asleep in his chair, was completely oblivious to what was going on. I took my skills learned in middle school health and checked for her pulse, but there wasn’t any “Dad she’s not breathing!” “What, nurse come!” 

We arrived home around 4:12 A.M. I’m completely knackered but refuse to sleep. All I can think about is Irene and how she left us. How dare she and how dare God for letting it happen. I suppose I can’t blame either of them. God doesn’t ever play a role in anything and Irene had no control over her death. Life is just a huge mystery that can’t be solved. I’m lying on my bed and staring at the ceiling, thinking about Irene. I’m all out of tears now. I can’t cry over her anymore. All I wish is that along with the departure of tears would also be the departure of sadness. I don’t want to do anything but lay and stare. I have no motive to do anything anymore but maybe that’s just now. This feeling may be over in the morning but I have doubts. I guess I’ll never know unless I try to sleep. Sleep for the two hours I do have left before I go to school. I shouldn’t even go to school but Brent will just think he’d bested me yesterday. I know I shouldn’t be thinking about Brent but I can’t let Irene’s death get to me. I have to get an education after all, right? Anyway, good two hours of sleep Lionel.

I burst through the Gym doors almost appearing zombie like: sluggish, dead, and hungry as hell. I really should have considered staying at home today. I’m beyond a mess and look emotional. No matter, I am emotional and I’m not in any mood to deal with Brent today. Walking towards my seat on the bleacher, I look at Brent and his pack. Just looking at them makes me so angry. They are all so evil; they are the epitome of evil. How could Brent, once a person who was so innocent, become such an undesirable c**t? Time and environment can only tell. “Hey Lionel, what’s up?” Stephen said to me as I took a seat. “Nothing” but in reality Irene is still on my mind. In the midst of my thinking I could hear wild laughter. It sounds like a pack of hyenas. I knew at that moment Brent was on his march of terror. "Hey Brit boy, did Mommy’s milk taste good? Hope you got enough of it.” Is Brent really being serious right now? “Brent cut it out” Stephen said stepping in, in defense. “Shut it Brent; you’re being really obnoxious,” I came to say. “Whoa, the f*g-muffin speaks. I’m sorry queer but I can’t help but point out the obvious when it’s right in front of me.” How can he come to say such a thing? How can anyone be so heartless? “Whoa, come on dude!” Stephen shouted to get Brent to seize. “What, did I say too much? Nah, I don’t think I said enough. Tell me queer, would you like to put your mouth on this?” Brent said finishing his statement by groping his package. I refuse to take his s**t any longer, "Shut the f**k up Brent!" I yelled leaping up and grasping Brent by his neck. Filled with fury and in a rage, I grabbed his neck with intent to kill. Well not really but I want to scare the hell out of him. Everything he said attacked my mind and soul. I just couldn’t take his words any longer; a person can only keep things bottled up for so long.  "Dude” Stephen yelled at me and pulled me back from Brent. As soon as I released Brent, he began coughing "Big dog, Brent, isn’t so big now, huh?" Stephen said attempting to boast. "F**k you Stephen. Lionel’s still a f*g. That’ll never change" Brent declared and walked away. "Whatever Lionel is more beast than you’ll ever be!” Stephen is such a good friend. I honestly don’t know what I would do without him. “Wow Lionel, what was that?” “What?” “That Incredible Hulk thing you just did” “He pissed me off is all” “That’s cool, at least you’re standing up for yourself.” He said it in a way as if he were waiting for me to finally do something. I don’t blame him though, he’s saved me from Brent a few times and I’d be tired too if I were him. “Is something wrong?” Stephen asked me. I’m very reluctant to answer seeming most of the time I get cut off by him getting easily distracted but I’ll take a chance, "Okay then, yesterday-” "Be right back there's Rosa Crawford!" I told you. I feel like I’m just invisible. I'm nobody; I know I am. No one can take me seriously. No one wants to talk to me and I only have a few friends that I can truly count on. You would think I have brains to back up all of this loneliness but I don't. The only reason I have AP classes anyway is because of signed documents. I'm no geek or nerd; I’m just nobody.



© 2012 Terrance M. A. Stanton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on October 28, 2012
Last Updated on October 28, 2012
Tags: anger, fight, sorrow, death, revenge


Author

Terrance M. A. Stanton
Terrance M. A. Stanton

Norcross, GA



About
Hi guys! I'm tmacery (though that's obviously not my real name) and I'm just here to publish whatever I feel like writing. I'm not too sure if you'll like my writing too much but if you do then COOL! .. more..

Writing