A candle in a box

A candle in a box

A Poem by Nisreen

Unleashing the knowledge of a stick
In a confined space of words

Often the flame will burn the paper
Or worse

It can go out 

Only once the candle sits within
For whatever time it survives

The light it illuminates
Creates a reaction

To die in silence
Or burn in light

It makes something
Of nothing 

once created 
can never be undone 

© 2016 Nisreen


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

ok i know i'm probably totally wrong but i took this to be about writing..the stick being the pen, whether it creates something the writer and others find wonderful or not being the flame etc..regardless whether my interpretation is correct or not i enjoyed this poem. i thought there may be few words but it made it work better and be more impactful, well done :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nisreen

8 Years Ago

my words become what you see ..... thank you
"It makes something,
Or nothing."

Powerful message within this piece as it seems to be based around perspective. Let's say the stick is the candle that burns brightly in a confined space of words; upon a piece of paper. The candle is close enough to the paper so that the paper may catch on fire and burn. Thing is, as the paper is burning, the words are escaping the world we know, and in its stead the room becomes bright once more. The words are gone, and the paper of words "dies" quietly as words are a form of communication, therefore I can see how the paper would die in "silence." Though, the paper burns in light and creates something, fuels the flame, though in a different manner. And once this happens, it can never be undone. Though, I will say, that words are sewn into the fabric of time, where even as you'd lost them in the fire, the memory of the words will remain within your heart, which also burns in order to create a light in the dark. So, maybe the candle wasn't truly a candle, but rather your own heart. And as it burned brightly, the words may either die in silence, or burn along with it. Great write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nisreen

8 Years Ago

Waw Brian that is quite a review ..... thank you mate
I found this interesting; the idea that something can be constricted but still have the ability necessary to keep on going. You have superb imagery and an even better idea. Yet again, another great work, RiverSided!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nisreen

8 Years Ago

Thank you ..........
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
I've been meditating on the creative process- like fire it can never be undone and really a mysterious thing.
Nothing is worse than it ceasing.
But it can burn, hurt and destroy.

Keep lighting the flame- and take it out of the box. Tend to it well.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nisreen

8 Years Ago

Hmm interesting. .... thank you for that

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2016
Last Updated on March 15, 2016

Author

Nisreen
Nisreen

United Arab Emirates



Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sea Dreams Sea Dreams

A Poem by MsJewel