Chapter 3 of 'A Life Unknown'

Chapter 3 of 'A Life Unknown'

A Chapter by Tom Pollard
"

Chapter 3 of the novel, 'A Life Unknown'

"

Chapter 3

Andrew held the door of the pub open for Penny and appreciated the scene that lay before him. He’d become used to seeing snow after four days of harsh weather yet still managed to sigh in awe at how beautiful the chocolate-box pub he was about to enter looked when framed by the wintery landscape.

It was two years to the day since he had first started seeing Penny and to mark the occasion he had agreed to take her to dinner in one of her favourite places. Although two years had passed he was only just beginning to realise his feelings for Penny, Andrew’s emotions moved at a slower pace than the average person’s.

He was glad of the distraction this evening would bring; for the past 4 days he had dwelled on the email he had received as well as the incident with the car. Time, rather than easing his concerns, had augmented them.

Andrew followed Penny to the bar and as he did so he realised how delicious the smells emanating from the kitchen were. He had abstained from having a big lunch today so he could make the most of the Inn’s exquisite menu. This was Penny’s favourite pub and he had to admit that she had good taste.

They ordered drinks at the bar and were then seated near the fireplace in the restaurant. The smell of the burning wood reminded Andrew of growing up with his parents but he didn’t like to dwell on his childhood.

“This is just what we needed,” said Penny, “a night out and a bit of time to reflect. What with the move and everything; I don’t know about you but it feels like it’s been a hell of a week”.

You don’t know the half of it, thought Andrew, he had put the car in the garage and she hadn’t seen the damage that had been done. He told her the car had been vandalised but she hadn’t seemed overly concerned.

He smiled at Penny; she looked beautiful this evening. He noticed that the glow of the fire made her green eyes seem mischievous somehow as well as making her auburn hair seem incandescent. He knew at that moment exactly how lucky he was and he thought perhaps he was beginning to understand what Collinson meant. He needed to ensure he never took Penny for granted - he never wanted to do anything to risk losing her.

“Andrew are you alright?” Penny’s question made him realise he’d been staring at her without replying.

“Yes, sorry Pen, I was just thinking about how lovely you looked tonight. That and thinking about what I’d like to eat of course.” He grinned at her before leaning in to kiss her. They then looked at their menus and discussed what indulgent treats they were going to order.

It took them a while to make a decision and after the young waiter had taken their order and left them alone they began to discuss Andrew’s job. Penny asked Andrew the usual questions about what students impressed him this term and which colleagues were currently grating on him. He talked with unbridled enthusiasm about his work and as he did so he felt completely content. He enjoyed Penny watching him and hanging on his every word; he was lucky to have her.

Andrew didn’t mention the email as he didn’t want to worry Penny, but he was sorely tempted to. No one knew about the strange events of earlier in the week and it was beginning to take its toll on him.

As Andrew began to work his way through the meal that had been placed in front of him he began to feel the beginnings of an emotion he hadn’t felt in years, he’d been feeling it all week yet had tried to resist it and force it to subside. It hadn’t.

He was uncertain whether it was wise to tell her what he was feeling or not. He’d become a coward when it came to romance through fear of making another mistake. The conversation with Collinson had made him reflect on his life and take stock of things. Despite the bizarre events of the week he started to realise that he was well and truly in love.

He decided to abandon caution and follow his instincts, if literature had taught him anything it was that love was a powerful force and not to be denied. His voice trembled with nerves as he began to speak. “Penny,” he whispered, ‘I love you.”

Penny stopped eating and looked up from her food. Her face seemed to go through a series of transformations in front of his eyes; it began shocked, then seemed upset, then settled on a nervous smile.

“I love you too Andrew.” Her reply, to Andrew’s confusion, sent a shiver running down his spine. Not a shiver of romance or excitement, but fear.

He didn’t know why but the whole experience seemed wrong to him. Her face, her voice and her eyes seemed somehow out of place. The whole thing unsettled him.

“What made you finally say that to me Andrew?” Said Penny. Her voice was soft and soothing and caused his fears to subside a little.

“I don’t know. The setting? The open fire? Your dress?” He laughed.

“Honestly Pen, it’s just how I feel and I haven’t felt this way for a long time. It’s been a funny old week.”

Penny smiled, “Yes, it has.” She finished the last morsel of her food and then put her cutlery together. “Speaking of which,” she continued, “I forgot to mention that I found myself a job. Down in the village, delivering flowers in the florist’s van. The pay’s nothing special but it’ll keep me busy.”

Andrew was pleased by the news. “That’s wonderful Pen! Well done. Plus think of all the countryside you get to admire on your drives around.” He felt that between them they were finally achieving the lifestyle they had dreamed of for years. Furthermore, all the misgivings he had felt moments before, when he’d told Penny he loved her, were slipping away into lost memories.

“But something strange did happen today.” The abrupt change in topic reminded Andrew of the things he was trying desperately to forget, he wished that for just this evening he could have a break from the bizarre. He reluctantly listened as she continued.

“Yes it was rather odd. I checked the mail this morning and there was a card addressed to ‘The Happy Couple’.” As Penny described the incident Andrew could already guess where it was heading. “When I read the card, it said something like, The Truth is Sinister. The Truth is clear. Does that mean anything to you?”

Andrew swallowed the lump forming in his dry throat and the taste of his meal had completely gone. The room was stiflingly hot compared to just five minutes ago.

“That is strange. But I haven’t a clue what it means.” Andrew chose his words carefully. He didn’t want to lie. “Do you have any ideas?”

She stared at him intently before replying, “well, I was wondering if anything else strange had happened? It seems like a clue to me.”

Andrew was forced to lie, if only to protect Penny. “No darling, nothing odd has happened to me all week I’m afraid.”

She looked disappointed but smiled as she excused herself. When she’d gone to the lavatory Andrew thought about what she’d said: ‘A clue’.

A clue to what?

The next day Andrew felt abnormally happy. He hadn’t expected to hear of the strange note that Penny described but neither had he intended to tell her he loved her. Things sometimes just worked themselves out.

He had to admit to himself that her response was lukewarm, but she had returned the sentiment. Surely that was the most important thing? He knew her well enough to know she held the truth to be all-important. She would not have said the words if she had not felt them.

As such Andrew now considered himself in love, which was the first time he could have said that for many years. Better yet he actually felt it this time around. In the past it was a forced emotion for him, like sadness at a stranger’s funeral. This time the words had found him and not visa versa.

This was what explained the smile on his face and the tune he hummed, as there was a knock at his office door just after lunch.

He called for the unknown visitor to enter and to his surprise it was an attractive young woman in her late twenties. He was about to begin flirting outrageously when he remembered Penny; then he decided he didn’t need to flirt ever again.

“Hello Professor Hobbs, may I sit down?” The woman’s good manners were refreshing, although he was off put by her serious demeanour. He directed her to a chair and asked her the reason for the visit.

“I’m Frances Lynch, Professor Hobbs” Her name rang a bell but he couldn't recall why. “I’m here on behalf of The Enquirer”.

Ah, he thought, that’s where I know her from. The Enquirer was his university’s newspaper and although many university papers are harmless tools for journalism undergraduates to cut their teeth, The Enquirer was rather more infamous.

Over the past decade various editors for the paper had managed to release stories to the campus that had painted several members of the faculty in an extremely poor light. When one of their writers came knocking at your door, trouble was never far behind them.

“As you know Professor, before we publish any articles we feel it important for all parties to share their side of the story.” She smiled but her eyes didn’t.

“Well Miss Lynch, you’ll have to tell me what the story is before I can give you my side of it. Although I’m not sure if I’m interesting enough to really merit a story.”

He knew full well he appeared nervous and with good reason, many a professor had their career smashed on the rocks by a scandal. He tried to look as innocent as possible whilst he waited for her to enlighten him.

“Well Professor, we’ve reason to believe that you’ve been involved with students of this university in an inappropriately sexual way. This is forbidden by the University’s Code of Conduct.”

Andrew’s chest contracted and it felt like he was going to be sick. He paused and thought carefully before opening his mouth, it would be important to deny everything but even more important to ensure he didn’t say anything silly that he’d regret later. He thought back over the past few years; the only indiscretion whilst he was with Penny was the waitress. He thought of the conversation with Collinson and wondered if he knew this was coming.

“Miss Lynch that’s a very serious allegation and I am afraid I don’t appreciate the implications. Over the past year, not that it’s any of your business mind you, I can think of one woman who would have cause for grievance and I can assure you that if this is your so called witness, she will struggle to support her allegations.” He was careful to use the word ‘woman’.

“Professor Hobbs, I think you misunderstand me. I didn’t say we had a witness, we…”

Andrew attempted to interrupt her to try and pounce on this new intelligence but his interruption was premature.

“Professor Hobbs, we have four witnesses. Four girls. All claim to have had intimate relations with you over the past six years. All are, or were, students.”

The room’s silence filled his ears. He knew he looked guilty but he didn’t care; he was guilty and this girl knew it. However, four was a massive exaggeration. Was she trying to unnerve him?

He wasn’t angry with her or even defensive, instead he felt ashamed as her eyes met his own. He must seem like an old monster to her.

Then his mind wondered; if he felt this guilty at the prospect of a near stranger discovering his embarrassing past how would he feel if Penny were to find out?

She broke his reverie, “Professor I’m not here to judge you despite what you may think.” He wondered if she’d read his expression. “I’m here to get your side of the story. We’re not naive; we know this sort of thing goes on. We just want to ensure we publish an unbiased account.”

He couldn’t handle this. He could deal with her feeling anger and disgust at his actions, but he found her deference and detachment disturbing. What a world it must have become for this sort of thing to be mundane.

He stood up and grabbed his coat from its usual spot. “Miss Lynch; print your story. I’m not going to do anything to stop you but nor will I do anything to confirm your allegations. I apologise if I seem a bit annoyed, I’m sure you can understand why.”

She stood up and her demeanour changed, he realised at that moment that her previous detachment was all an act. He suspected she normally got her story and was not used to her act failing her.

“In case you change your mind Professor, here are my details.” She flattened a post-it note onto his desk with an email address and number on it. “In case you want to get across your side of the story.”

She left the room without turning back and the door slowly closed behind her. Andrew fell back into his chair and dropped his coat to the floor. He realised how much he had to lose and cursed his stupidity before he began sobbing into his hands.

He couldn't remember a time where he felt so foolish, so guilty, so scared and so in love. He’d forgotten what tears tasted like and despite the fact he was alone in his office he still felt ashamed of crying.



© 2014 Tom Pollard


Author's Note

Tom Pollard
Thanks for taking the time to read my work. Best wishes, TP

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on October 16, 2014
Last Updated on October 16, 2014


Author

Tom Pollard
Tom Pollard

Salisbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom



About
I grew up in the idyllic Wiltshire countryside where I lived with my mum Virginia and brother Sam, before leaving home to study for a degree in English Literature at Bath Spa University in 2004. I.. more..

Writing