Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit
"

This is the prologue to my book in progress!

"

She could remember the day as if it were yesterday that she and Lucas had first met as little children. He had moved to Glendale, California a little over 5 years earlier due to his father becoming a pastor at Tanya’s church. Like most kids their age, the idea of being friends with the opposite gender was not a common practice. They did become friends when they reached their adolescent years and grew closer as time went on. During many different church functions they could be found at a table with their friends chatting with each other about school, friends, and so forth. 

            

However, there was one thing that Tanya would never tell Lucas no matter how close they had gotten and that was the fact that she was madly in love with him and had been for years. Growing up alongside him she often wished to know what it felt like to be loved by him and to be his. She longed for their hugs to last longer and to feel the warmth of him for as long as she could. Even his smell was intoxicating to her and left her wanting more than time would allow.

            

Then the day came for him to leave for school and Tanya knew what that meant, she would not see him or talk to him for a year. They both made efforts at first to keep in contact, but then Tanya felt as if she was bothering him so she ceased communication. The feeling of emptiness when Lucas was gone was sometimes too much for her to bear. There were many nights when she would lay awake and wish for him to be there next to her, his strong arms surrounding her and pulling her close to him, to hear his heart beat and the steady breathing throughout the night.

           

She could not explain this attraction to Lucas, but she knew that it was strong and no other attraction before and after Lucas had ever come close. He was about 5’8” and was a pretty average guy. He had just turned twenty-three and his hair was a dirty blonde and his eyes were a beautiful hazel that no one could deny their beauty. What got to Tanya was his smile and the radiance it emitted. His personality was contagious and it was very difficult to not be happy while around him.

            

Tanya knew that nothing would ever come of her affections for him. She knew that they would remain hidden and that he would never be made aware. Tanya knew that she was just a simple girl and Lucas deserved so much more than that. He deserved someone so extraordinary that could be all that he ever wanted and was the most beautiful girl in the world.

            

She was twenty years old and was a short girl, rising at 5’3” and she was what most considered curvy, definitely not the model figure everyone had grown accustomed to being the standard of beauty. Her hair was a bright auburn that darkened more with age and the occasional dye of a more vibrant red. The two traits that made her see herself occasionally as beautiful were her deep blue eyes and her radiant smile that lit up a room and the hearts of many. And if anyone brought out that smile it was Lucas.

            

However, the fateful day came when he made the permanent move to Oregon and she was completely devastated. She had just gotten their friendship back to where it had been previous his college departure and now she knew they were bound to become distant once again. She knew that she would be moving up there eventually with her family, but the time apart would make the reunion slightly awkward.

           

When she finally made the move there and had scheduled dinner with the two families, she anticipated the inevitable reunion and was unsure how to feel. Tanya put on her makeup and fixed her hair to make herself look older so he would not view her as the little girl that he grew up with, but a woman that he could maybe someday fall in love with. And when she saw him again for the first time in a year, neither one could foresee the future events. 



© 2014 Toni-Lynn Benoit


Author's Note

Toni-Lynn Benoit
These characters are based off of real people. please leave any suggestions or any positive comments as well :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

the paragraph where you describe Tanya - third from bottom. I would for continuity consider striking that . Of course we want to see her - but for the prologue to be short and grab the reader to go to the next chapter - it can be cut without harming the story. then you can weave her appearance into the story . same with the description of Lucas, you could get by with mentioning the smile and hold the description for later. Just my suggestion. With the prologue - you want to hook the reader.
What draft is this? Is this your first one or have you already drafted it a couple of times? Just curious to know where you are in your process. The fun part is always the writing. then there is the rewriting and rewriting and polishing. Sometimes that's not as fun but it depends on what you want to do with this story.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 24, 2014
Last Updated on June 24, 2014
Tags: love, friendship, forever, relationships, please read, please review, prologue


Author

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Toni-Lynn Benoit

Dededo, Guam



About
I am 19 and I live on Guam. I love to dance, sing, act, and write stories! more..

Writing