v

v

A Chapter by TopHatGirl
"

-

"


You have your first dream. You are running, running so fast. It's on top of buildings, leaping to the next one, and the next one, tuck and rolling whenever you land. Your feet are exhausted and throbbing, and yet, all you seem to do is run. Taking a particularly daunting jump, you capture a huge ball of light energy from a row of buildings next to yours. You throw it behind you, and it explodes into billions of sparks. You don't bother to turn around, just keep running.

Just keep running, and you'll be safe. Safe from what, you're not sure. Your head is pounding. You had to keep going, keep running...

Pausing, you put your hands on your knees, panting heavily. Pound. Pound. Pound. Your headache was growing stronger.

"Little girl, you can't run much longer," a voice purrs from behind you. Your heartrate speeds rapidly, and you break into a sprint again, and when you reach the edge of the current building, you take another jump, flying across the air and rolling into a tight ball when you hit the other building. It's extremely painful, and your technique doesn't help. Terrified of the vice behind you, you steal another ball of light and slam it behind you, aimlessly. It's still there, you're sure of it. Some measly light couldn't possibly make it go away. You keep running. Just keep running-

"How sweet, trying to be brave and throw her weak little light balls. Actually, it's not sweet. It's pathetic." The man is in front of you, grinning deviously. You inhale sharply, unsure of how he suddenly appeared. You take a step back,darting your sight around for any light, anything.

Anything.

"Well, time to snuff you out, tiny moth."

And with that, he grabs your neck, and it's all darkness.

~*~

In a cold sweat, your eyes fly open. Everyone is sleeping in their bunkbeds, Mizzy curled up next to you. The clock says it's 10am, much too early. You want to go back to sleep, but you are shaking too badly to even think of closing your eyes. The spots of the blinding light in the dream still lingers on the edges of your sight, and you bring your blanket over your head. Mouth dry, you wonder if you could get up and get some water without waking up The Five. How late were they up?

Hesitantly, you swing your leg over the edge of the bed, seeing if anyone responded. Easily, carefully, ever so cautiously, you landed on the ground with a small thump. A creak from the other side of the room, and you flinch.

"Thief? Why are you up?" Jaxx asks coldly, glaring up at you. Shrugging, you try to seem aloof as you go to the mini fridge for a water bottle. Still in your clothes, you are very uncomfortable walking around the room. "Did you have a nightmare?" he has a pair of reading glasses on, ones that seem very silly on such a stern man. You pause, gulping loudly and nodding. How could he have known?

He stops his writing, which he was doing with an ink pen on a leather bound book. "What about?"

"I do not know," you say honestly. Jaxx nods. You walk over to where he is sitting, and attempt to peek over his shoulder. He slams his book shut, tucking the journal quickly into his desk. He puts his feet up on the desk, analyzing your expression.

"Do you want to go to school?" he asks. "Because you seemed pretty angry when we were talking about it."

You shake your head. "I am too dumb for school." Also, you didn't want to have to talk with other children and sit in a classroom full of bright lights for an hour. Jaxx nods again, eyes full of understanding.

"It's not so great," he says. "But still, you'll have to keep up with Cole's crazy teaching methods." You shrug.

"I would rather learn here from you five," you say. "You are all so nice to me."

"We shouldn't be," Jaxx spits. You flinch, taking a step back. "No offense, but you worry me. No memory, freaky powers, and too naive for your own good. There's something up with you. Where did you even come from?"

You shrug again. "First of my memories is drowning in ocean."

"How did you get to the ocean?"

"I do not know. I wish I knew, having no memory is so frustrating." A pause, as neither of you say anything. You don't like the idea of Jaxx disliking you. You don't like the idea of anyone disliking you, for that matter. You have tried to be normal, but with the empty mind and powerful hands, it's slightly hard. Oh, well. At least you have stumbled into some sort of strange enviroment where everyone accepts you. You guess you'll just have to try and stay out of Jaxx's way, seeing how tricking him into liking you seems obnoxious. He has gone back to writing, and you are no longer trying to see what he's writing, he would probably hate you even more if you read it. You open the bottle of water, and yawn after taking a long chug. "I am tired again."

"You get tired a lot?" he asks, interested again.

"I guess. I've only been....remembering?" You aren't sure if that's the right terminology, but Jaxx shrugs it away. "I have only been remembering for about two days now, so I do not know if this is abnormal sleeping habits. But yes, I am tired a lot."

"Maybe it correlates with all of that energy you control," he hypothesizes. You have zero idea what he is talking about, but you nod anyways.

"Yes, maybe," you agree.

"When you wake up again, we'll start your lessons," Jaxx says. You nod, and climb back into the bed, lying next to Mizzy. Things are going to be okay.

You close your eyes once more.



© 2011 TopHatGirl


Author's Note

TopHatGirl
Unedited, really terrible right now, blah blah blah, you know the drill.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
Added on December 2, 2011
Last Updated on December 2, 2011


Author

TopHatGirl
TopHatGirl

[Redacted], NV



About
Hi, I'm TopHatGirl! If you're here about my character lessons or to get some advice, email me instead of messaging at [email protected]. This is because I don't go on this site as much anym.. more..

Writing
chapter one chapter one

A Chapter by TopHatGirl


chapter two chapter two

A Chapter by TopHatGirl