Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by torisalt
"

Victoria Fuller, a normal, or so thought teenaged girl is just beginning to learn her real fate.

"

          I pulled my car out of the school parking lot after saying bye to Jess. The conversation I had just had with her had still been going through my mind.

"You know, guys don't really pay attention to girls like you much, this is a good way to ruin your love and social life."

Victoria was frustrated and didn't think before she blurted out her response, "You should know, that maybe guys do recognize you but so will no future if all you do is party, sleep with guys, and drink."

She could tell Jess was hurt, before she even ran off, but that's exactly what happened Jessica Flynch ran off annoyed at Victoria's bluntness. Jessica had been Victoria's best friend since preschool but had changed quite a bit in the past few months. Jessica had nothing on her mind other then boys, drinking, and parties. She used to do everything with Victoria, Victoria knew she was only acting out because she was upset with how her parents were acting and she needed a release but it still stung like a bee.

After a few minutes of unsuccessfully blocking out that conversation Victoria pulled out of the school and turned right on Pennypatcher Trail to get her first paycheck from the Rosehall Cafe. She walked under the green and yellow awning stopping to speak to Tico Romano. She hadn't seen Tico in a few days which was odd, he's her brother, Shaun's best friend and usually he's at their house constantly. Tico was kind of chubby and white. He was very active and ate pretty normally but he was always chubby. He had dark brown hair and blue eyes. He was about 6'2" and was very caring and athletic.

"Hey Tori, what have you been up to?"

"Oh hey Tico, just school and work, I'm picking up my paycheck right now actually."

Tico was obviously surprised, "Paycheck?! Our little Victoria is actually growing up, I'm so proud of you, wow!"

I laughed a little "Thanks Tico, so have I just been missing everything or have you not been over to see Shaun lately?"

"Yeah, I've been looking for a job lately so I haven't been over much, I'm coming over tomorrow though."

"Oh, alright, well I'm off tomorrow so I guess I'll see you unless I go over to Andy's, it was nice talking to you again.

"Alright, talk to you later girl, take care of yourself and congratulations on the job!"

I walked in after that and walked up to the counter to one of her co workers, Billy.

"Hey your the new girl, Victoria right?"

"That's right," I was a little agitated at the words 'new girl' it's true that I'm new but I seriously hate being called that. "I'm here for my paycheck, my last name is Fuller."

"Hold on really quick cutie."

I blushed and Billy smiled "Thanks."

Billy started searching under the counter and pulled up her paycheck. "Anytime, is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Nope, that's it, thanks."

"Alright, have a nice day then."

"Thanks, you too," I walked out and went back to my 1987 black Chevrolet Cavalier wagon. I revved the engine and backed out onto the street and drove to Tabitha Street to the First Bank of Rosehall and cashed my check.

When I finished I got back to my Cavalier and turned right onto Abercone Lane then left again onto Washington Road, got to my house, pulled into my driveway and got my bookbag and purse out of my car. I walked into my house to hear my parents fight and to see Shaun smile weakly to me. "Hey Victoria.."

"Hey Shaun," I looked at him nervously "Wanna get some pizza with me? I know we both can take a break from the arguing."

He got up, "Sure, but before we go get yourself a jacket or something, I know it's kinda breezy out there."

I smiled at him "One day you'll make a great father, I'm really glad you're my brother."

He smiled back and I went into my room to find a jacket. It was a nice April Friday in the small, low class town of Rosehall, New Jersey. It was sunny out, sadly. I hate the sun, I always loved the rain and snow. Now it was time to pick out a hoodie I would be comfortable in, most of them were meant for colder days.

I went into my closet to look for one, I ended up picking my gray hoodie with All Time Low down the left side. I got out of the closet and pulled my hoodie over my head and put my arms in the holes, pulling it down, then I got my purse off my bed, pulled out my brush and did a quick brush through of my hair. I guess I'm okay looking. I have curly thick black hair that takes hours to get straight and brown eyes, but the shade likes to change depending on my mood, it's really weird. I guess I'm what you would call athletic, and my skin is ivory with dimples that everyone thinks are so beautiful, but personally I can't stand them! I looked at myself in the mirror and figured I looked fine enough to go get pizza with my brother. I put my brush back in my purse picked my purse up and left my room.

Okay, ready to go?”

Shaun jumped up right away, “Yep, lets go.”

Shaun got to the door before me and held it open for me, I was really glad to have him as a brother, he really took care of me, and if anyone was a closer friend to me then Jessica was it was definitely him. We got out of the yard and started walking down the street since Antonio's is on our street.

Shaun was great, he was really athletic with fair skin. He had dark brown shaggy hair and brown eyes. He worked in the town over, Oakston at the Target in the sporting goods department. He was caring too and loved music, a lot of the same music that Victoria loved and they really bonded in the years.

Shaun hesitated, “You don't seem yourself today, is something going on?”

Yeah, actually, I'm kind of scared I want to ask Andy to come over tomorrow but mom and dad can never stop fighting..”

They would stop if they knew it would make you happy, especially if a guy you might be dating comes over.”

Do you really think so?” I was shocked at how confident Shaun was about this, he usually would be as shocked as anyone else if my parents didn't fight in front of company.

Yeah, mom and dad are crazy about you, especially dad, why don't you talk to them about it, I guarantee they'll tell you to call Andy and ask to come over, they'd love to do anything to make you happy.”

I will, thanks Shaun,” By the time I thanked him we were at the pizzeria and he held the door open for me “Do you know what you want on yours?”

Yep, same thing I always get, lets go.”

We walked up to the counter and a girl who looked to be nineteen or twenty asked if she could take our orders. “I'd like two slices of cheese pizza and a medium Pepsi.”

Shaun ordered two slices of pizza and a large Mtn Dew. I paid the money, $14.78 then we sat down while we waited on it. Shaun surprised me again with what he said “So I want your opinion on something, I know I've said this a lot before but never acted on it, but I really want to now.”

Okay, what is it?”

I'm thinking of going to college, I don't know what I want to do yet, well besides play sports, but I do want to go and probably major in Liberal Arts, maybe change it if I do find what I want to do.”

I think that as long as you're going to go with it, you should go for it, I could help you study and I'm sure you could get on the sports teams! You're a natural, speaking of sports, Tico said he might be coming over tomorrow.”

Shauns face lit up, he was so excited to advance in life, “Really? Awesome! Yeah, it would be great if you'd help me study, you're a lot better at actual schoolwork then me.”

Well I'm not great at it, I just study,” I took a little sip of my Pepsi.

This is awesome though! I'm going to go somewhere in life.”

Our pizza came up and we went to pick it up, then we sat back down. He asked me questions about Andy, things like his hobbies and grades and if he liked sports and if he had a job and what his future plans were. Okay, Andy wasn't perfect but he was nice and caring and really had feelings for me. I was really glad to have him around but Shaun didn't seem too happy about it.

Victoria, I want what's good for you, I'm just worried about your life not going anywhere, you know how highly I think of you.”

I know, and I'm glad Shaun, but he's a great person, just needs to step into reality, and I think that maybe eventually I could get him to, and if not then I'll break up with him..”

Well alright, I'll try to get along with him, for your sake, did you ask him about coming over tomorrow yet?”

Yeah, I just asked him if he could, I'm waiting for a reply.” I took a big bite out of my second slice of pizza.

Alright, I'll give you some space from mom and dad when we get home so you can ask.” Shaun wolfed down the rest of his pizza and drank some more of his soda.

Thanks,” I finished up my pizza, “Ready to go?”

Yeah,” Shaun got up before me so he could open the door again.

So when are you going to apply to college, and what college are you going to apply to?”

Burlington County, tonight.”

We walked down the street and made small talk about the college, I was really excited for him and proud that he had finally started trying to push his life forward. When we got home our parents were still fighting and he whispered good luck to me and went to his room.



© 2014 torisalt


Author's Note

torisalt
This is just an excerpt from chapter one. I know there are errors, this is still the first draft and I plan on editing and revising soon. All constructive criticism is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on January 24, 2014
Last Updated on January 24, 2014
Tags: fantasy, young adult, ya, fiction, paranormal, vampire, werewolf, witch, supernatural


Author

torisalt
torisalt

Riverside, NJ



Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Book by torisalt