two

two

A Chapter by Louise

Two


Within a month the house and it's surrounding property was exactly as it should be, alive and healthy. Lizzie had managed to rope the local builders into cleaning most of the barn as they fixed it up inside and out which resulted in the restoration of all eight stables, an office space and a tack and feed room. The house though was another story. Most of the bedrooms had had their furniture restored or replaced as a deep clean shook the whole building, the bathrooms had to be upgraded to more modern appliances and then all was left was to give it a little love and care which Lizzie planned on giving as she settled back into her home.


The grounds however were not flourishing at a rate Lizzie had hoped for. The paddock and arena space had been cleared and sorted immediately which was good but the issue was with the infection of yellow flowered plant named Ragwort. The pesky plant had been ravaging the meadows and pastures of the estate and the gardeners had only been able to get through half of it so far.


That was how Lizzie found herself knee deep in one of the fields closer to the barn pulling at the roots of Ragwort. By the gate's entrance there was already a large amount of binliners filled with the weed and everyone pulling up the damned plant already had at least half a bag next to them.


I'm terribly sorry to bother you miss but this lady refused to acknowledge that you're busy” One of my new hires Anne said in her quiet tone gesturing to a shadow near the gate. “Would you like me to get you some drinks whilst you talk?”


Lizzie took a few moments to clean up her mess and tie the bag of weeds as she stood. “We'll be fine Anne, why don't you tell everyone else they can take a break. I think I left some water and juice in the fridge in the stables” She nods and goes towards the others leaving Lizzie to find out who her persistent visitor was.


Oh Elizabeth look at you” A shrill snooty voice called out as she reached the gate. Jumping back in fright, Lizzie clutched a hand to her heart. “I didn't mean to frighten you, it's me Muriel.” Moving into the light, the figure revealed an ageing body of about sixty with grey locks cut short into a trendy bob of the area.


Muriel was also one of the town's resident gossipers who loved to drop by and gather any evidence for rumours floating around. She was also known for her parties and events where everyone who was someone showed up. “Good afternoon Muriel, sorry about my appearance I'm just clearing up the fields” Muriel gave out a huff as she saw what Elizabeth was wearing. “How can I help you?”


Well I heard you were only here temporary but looking at how you're fixing everything up, then they were wrong” She took a quick breath, her eyes roving our surroundings. “But I was wondering if you'd lend me a field or two for an event I want to host”


Lizzie pretended to sound rather surprised. “Oh I'm not sure if I can get these grounds looking good anytime soon. When and what were you thinking of?”


I'm hoping for an Easter event, the monday I think would be best for everyone but don't worry about the fields, I'd only be using them for a polo match and a egg hunt” Lizzie's eyes widened at the sound of polo match.

Muriel I'm so sorry but I don't have a polo pitch nor the room for those horses in my stables”


Nonsense, we can put them in the pasture and let them graze before and after the match” To make it even worse, Muriel proceeded to mention Elizabeth's mother. “Your mother would have done it, you're a Lyndhurst it's about time you acted like one” she said not realising Lizzie had heard enough.


Shifting her weight to the other leg, Lizzie moved herself back under the shadows of the nearby hedges. “Look Muriel I'll agree to the egg hunt for now but there's no telling what condition the other fields are going to be in until I can get into them” Muriel opened her mouth to argue but Lizzie got there first. “However if I do deem them in an acceptable condition then I will let you know. I'll also require a copy of the guest list and will need those horses to be vaccinated etc before entering my property”


Muriel's mouth shut for the first time. She took a moment to think through Lizzie's conditions and nodded. “You're just like her. I mean it” She said in a proud tone which made Elizabeth smile sadly. “I'm going to send the Norwood lad over to help you though. A girl like you shouldn't be doing this alone”


But I'm not alone, I've got the gardeners helping me” Lizzie tried to argue but her mind was also busy trying to figure out who this Norwood person was and why Muriel wanted him here.


Do not argue with me missy. You need help getting this place up and running and he's offered”

“Fine then. Send him over and see if I care” Lizzie said getting rather suspicious.


Muriel smiled like the cat who got the cream. “Good and if I timed this correctly he's just here now” She pointed to a man who was walking over the estate. Lizzie could tell that he wasn't new to the area because he didn't gawk like most people did. Instead it seemed like he was on familiar property.


As he got closer Norwood appeared to be a rather tall and slimly built gentleman. From what Lizzie could deduce, he wore jeans tucked into wellington boots, a large deep green jumper paired with a light coat. By his side was a rather fluffy and adorable border collie pup. Muriel looked over at Lizzie who was too busy trying to rub some of the dirt off of her face to realise it was a ploy.


Now what have I done to be in the company of such beautiful women?” Were the first words spilling from his mouth. Lizzie supposed he had a nice tone to his voice but she couldn't deny that he came across as rather egotistical.


Muriel milked his behaviour and giggled like a teenage schoolgirl. “Oh William this is the young woman I told you about, Elizabeth meet William Norwood” William held out a hand and Lizzie took it out of politeness. “William lives over on the Woodbine farm”


Wearing a small polite smile, Lizzie tried to tame the voice inside of her that wanted ruin this moment. “Please call me Lizzie” She said dropping the formality of her full name. Then a wet nose touched her leg making her smile widely. “And who is this little guy?” Dropping down to her knees, Lizzie paid a lot more attention to the collie pup than it's owner.


With a subtle nod from William, Lizzie stroked the soft fur of the pup and even got a few licks from the darling dog in return. “Sorry he slobbers over anyone who pays him attention” William said pulling back the rambunctious pup.


Oh its fine, my father used to have an wolfhound who drooled like a snail. What's his name?” She looked up from her perch on the ground, still stroking the excited dog.


William bent down as well, this time to pick the puppy up. “This is Max” He said rubbing his tummy.


Standing up again, Lizzie smoothed down her clothes as she reached a hand out to scratch under his chin. “Hello Max, aren''t you a cutie” She cooed giggling as her hand was accosted by a series of licks.


Muriel watched the young woman interact with the dog and his owner, rather amused by the sight in front of her. “Oh Elizabeth its such a shame you're stuck pulling weeds all day alone. You're going to have to fire those gardeners, I saw them with my own eyes planting the Ragwort last season”


Her attention captured, Lizzie's stance tensed. “They what now?” She said her features hardened. William stood looking rather unsure of what to do with himself whilst Max rolled around on the floor rather pleased with himself.


They planted the yellow plants last year, told your mother it was to improve the town's appeal” Muriel knew she had set the trap and Lizzie was steps away from cancelling the companies service leaving her to weed the rest of the fields herself. “I think your mother left all the paperwork in the study”


Completely worn down Lizzie had had enough now. If Muriel was right then Lizzie would have to fire the workers and hire a new company whilst trying to get rid of that pesky plant. At this rate she would be pulling the flowers until next season. “Well if you want another pair of hands, I'm in plus I can always ask some of the farmers if we can borrow some men?”


Lizzie looked up into William's eyes “I can't accept your help sorry”. Muriel let out a small sigh. She honestly thought Lizzie would accept Will's help. “However if you want to walk Max up here then you're welcome to”. Muriel brightened at this and so did Will.


That sounds marvellous, this little guys been stuck walking around the village for so long I think he's forgotten what grass is” He joked as the puppy let out a little sneeze. They all laughed at the dog until Lizzie remembered she had a lot of work to do.


It was lovely meeting you William and seeing you again Muriel but I'm afraid I must get back to work again” Lizzie apologised as she saw that the workers had recommenced the weeding. Grabbing her gloves, she gave Max one final pat before heading back into the field.


Muriel watched William's face as he watched Lizzie walk away from him. “Boy you need to help that girl out. Ive known her since she was this big” She gestures to just below her knee with a playful smile painted on her face. “And I can tell you this is not that girl. You are the one I want to distract her, make her the woman her mother raised her to be”


William looked rather taken aback by the older woman's audacity. He looked at the field Elizabeth had just entered and found her talking and smiling at some of the helpers. That's when he saw that there was a spark missing. “I can at least try”



© 2015 Louise


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on April 20, 2015
Last Updated on April 20, 2015


Author

Louise
Louise

United Kingdom



About
Just an aspiring author trying to get feedback on work more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Louise