One Last Night

One Last Night

A Chapter by T.W. Knight

Chapter 1

One Last Night




My alarm went off at the usual time, 5:30am. I had a lecture to attend to across campus at 9:15am, and then I have volunteer work on the southwest side of campus. I sprung out of bed as usual with a spurt of enthusiasm. I love college.

My roommate graduated last semester so I am probably going to get another one tomorrow. I hope I don't get fresh meat. Fresh men's are too unpredictable for me.

No one else had woken up yet, probably won't until around 11am or so. It's because they live with their mates. It keeps me up at night.

There was already a crowd on campus because of orientation day. New students and their families were already crowding the main campus and the Hillary Student Center. That means I have to take a detour through Jacob West and the Dixie's Library; the two most quietest place on campus. It was an agonizing silent walk, and not good when going to a lecture on Music Theory, specifically on the common types of scales in every common genre of music.

I am studying for a masters in music with a compositional focus. I am finishing my second year. So far, it has been all good. I have composed three full songs and two concertos and I am working on five more for a concert I have to give during  my last two years.

The silent walk fried my still half asleep brain as I watch cars piling in and illegally parking everywhere. I knew I was going to get a roommate soon, but from this crowd I don’t know who. I digress.

After a two hour lecture, the class was dismissed and I had to go do volunteer work. It was a refreshing walk to the Hillary Student Center, but the big crowd of parents out front forced me to go to the Smitten Housing and take the bridge to the Hillary Student Center.

I was to help new meat order their books for their classes. Once I threw on my staff shirt over my regular shirt, I immediately started with entering their cards into the computer and ordering textbooks. After about fifty minutes and seventy-nine cards, I took a break and played the piano in the middle of the rotunda.

The crowd settled down a little as I played through some of my friend’s concertos and some of my own. I also talked with a few parents and students as they gave me a tip. At the end I noticed that it was already 4:30pm. I missed lunch. So I took my tips and went to McDonalds. Apparently I made ninety-five dollars and twelve cents, more than I make on a normal day.

I went back to my dorm and did my homework. My neighbors Mark and Timmy passed my room. Mark Grogo is a six foot muscular softie. Timothy Darn (everyone calls him Timmy) is a four foot stick that can win any argument. Timmy is a communications major and Mark is majoring in business.

My other neighbors are Daniel Hades majoring in marketing, and Sebastian Moor majoring in nutrition. I don’t see much of them. I do see Noah Holmes, our cross-dresser majoring in fashion, and Samuel Nokes, the badass also majoring in nutrition. All of us are gay except for Hank Acre, but he does have the personality. In just three more days we will have more students in Hillard East also know as the gay dormitory.

It use to be for the people majoring in religion. They had such an overflow one year that they built Hillard East to take care of the excess. When the overflow passed the main HIllard was kept as the main housing for the people majoring in religion and Hillard East was more for alternative housing. Over the course of forty-five years it slowly turned into the unofficial housing for gay people. No one talks about Hillard East anymore, but it is at the bottom of the list and is usually a last resort for the new students.

Not much else to say about this place, but it has been my home for two years now. My parents divorced after I came out to them. My mother married a rockstar and my dad married a store manager. Logically I had to stay with my dad even though he didn't accept me, unlike my mom, but I stuck around with minimal scars on my wrist (maybe twelve or so total) and it worked out to my benefit as I was able to move far away from them. So far, my life has been free.

I get money from both parents, I play piano at two of our five student centers for tips, and I actually like my classes so the homework isn't a bother for me. I also don't have a boyfriend anymore because he went to a college in another state without telling me, but that's a story for another time.

This is my last night alone. Tomorrow I'll have a roommate and he or she will have to live with me for a while. Poor them. I finished my homework, ate dinner, played on the dorm's PS3 for three hours, and then went to bed to a familiar beat.



© 2012 T.W. Knight


Author's Note

T.W. Knight
This is more of a prequel than a proper chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on October 29, 2012
Last Updated on October 29, 2012


Author

T.W. Knight
T.W. Knight

Round Rock, TX



About
"If life was a book, I'll hate the ending." I am a creative madman that does way too much. Writing may be a hobby for me, but that is where passion spawns from. I pursue many creative outlets such as .. more..

Writing
Block Block

A Poem by T.W. Knight