Into the Darkness

Into the Darkness

A Story by treehugger

 

I am surrounded by darkness, smothered by it. I have not seen daylight for over a week but I am not afraid, not as long as I have her comforting hand in mine. Amy thinks we won’t be in this cell for much longer, they will eventually have to do something with us but what? That is the question. I do not fear what will happen to me, if it is going to be the end, it is the end and to be honest I shall embrace it. At least it really will be the end and not the lie they made us believe before. I can’t lie to myself though, I am scared, not for myself but for Amy.
            Outside of the bolted door there is a sudden bang, Amy jolts awake and grabs my arm in fear. “Do you think they are coming for us, Rowan?” she whispers. I can hear no footsteps, I know these creatures have all sorts of tricks but I’m not going to remind Amy of this. “I can’t hear anything; I think we are safe for the moment” I whisper back.
“I just can’t stand this waiting for much longer”. I gaze into her dark brown eyes, she is truly scared, I can tell. I love her so much and the urge to protect her is overwhelming. I should not have got her involved in all of this but now it’s too late. If only I had not decided to leave the house that cold rainy October day, Amy would have been safe, maybe not happy but safe.
                       *
            I had planned on spending the whole day inside my office doing work. I worked for a small law firm in the city and although it was not what I really wanted to do in life, it paid the bills. I thought I was happy with my life back then but really it was a lonely existence. I remember clearly, it was 4 o’clock and I had a sudden urge for coffee, my fridge was devoid of milk and it was this which made me leave the house, my first mistake of the day. It was dark outside and raining but still I ventured out into the cold evening air.
The shop was only a five minute walk away from my house and my footsteps echoed as I walked along the empty streets. I was slowly getting soaked by the constant rain, so I put my head down and hurried along a bit quicker than I had done before. This is where I made my second error of the day; I did not look up as I walked onto the road to cross it. If I had I may have seen the car, skidding towards me, however I didn’t. I felt no pain as the car ploughed into me; I just remember the darkness as all my senses were lost.
Dying is a strange experience, although it is frightening, it is also slightly comforting. It is comforting as you no longer have to worry about anything, life is always full of worry but once the end is upon you, you can just let go. Now I’m not a particularly religious person so I never have really believed in heaven or hell. However, as my soul lay in the dark void between the living world and the unknown, I secretly hoped there was going to be something more, something other than the cold materialistic world I had just left behind. I felt a small surge of happiness at the thought of maybe seeing my parents again, my soul then lost consciousness.
                                                            *
            I got my wish, there was going to be something more after death, but it was unlike anything I could ever have imagined.           

© 2009 treehugger


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on April 9, 2009