Revelations and Reunions

Revelations and Reunions

A Chapter by Deanna Ballard

All sorts of injurious things coiled around her feet as she crouched at the edge of the Uldarian Forest. The creatures that inhabited these woodlands respected her. She'd willfully thrown herself into its depths when she was dumped here some two years ago. She shouldn't have lasted a week but she was resilient, refused to die. When she didn't die of her own accord, some of the monsters decided to speed up the process. They went after her and she barely survived an attack by three frbins, large wolf-like creatures with two long teeth on outside of their mouths, always visible. She'd almost bleed to death but the ordeal made her stronger. It helped her confidence grow. After that battle, she began to thrive in Uldarian. She was left alone. She was one of them.

The girl's ever changing bright green eyes examined the footprint in the dirt before her. She leaned back a little on her heels to let the sun shine on it. Her slender brown fingers scooped up some of the soil, bringing it to her nose for a scent.

"A curious idiot passing by." She let the earth slide through her fingers and brushed the remainder from her hands.

"I got nothing either," said a tanned boy with shaggy brown hair and deep brown eyes.

The day he'd arrived was also a test for the girl. She'd been lazing about, feeling her loneliness heavier than usual when the forest began to churn with excitement. She'd been there so long and had become accustomed to the language of this mad land. The excitement told her that someone else was here. She tended not to care too much about anything but she always liked to see the face of the fool who was fool enough to dare entrance into the Uldarian. She'd rushed through the trees, following the foreign smell. But as foreign as it was, it was also familiar which quickened her pace. She stopped in her tracks when she came to this boy. He was already surrounded by all sorts of animal, waiting to kill each other for the chance to kill him. He looked terrified.

He'd tilted his chin up and shouted at the top of his lungs, "Taya!"

How could he know she was alive?

She dropped down in front of him, a sword drawn. She circled him in front of them all, staking a claim over him. He was hers and hers alone. If anyone or anything came near or harmed him they would answer to her. They reluctantly backed down. But she showed her thanks by putting them on the trail of another trespasser. They vanished, thirsty for a granted kill.

She let the memory pass. Her eyes flicked up at him and she stood to meet his eyes.

"Have you seen Night? He's been gone for awhile."

"He may be flying over," he replied, his tone bored.

"Did you actually see him flying over?" she asked irritated with his loose-ended answer.

"No."  

She shook her head at her old friend and pulled her cascade of jet black hair up in a high ponytail then released it. Placing a hand on her forehead to shade her eyes, she looked hard over the land that led to civilization.

"Can you go up and see if you can spot him?"

He took off, soaring over the trees and out of sight. She went back into the forest knowing that she didn't need to be seen to be found by Garrett. After she'd walked about ten paces, Night came falling through the trees. He landed on his right side because arrows protruded from his left.

She ran over to the winged horse and carefully removed the arrows from his wing and side. He swiftly jumped to his feet.

Taya and Night had a connection, it was the same connection she had with all animals which is why she could communicate so well with the creatures of Uldarian. However, it was bestowed upon one only by an animal. It was a rare occurrence that an animal found a fleshling worthy. Gift to some, curse to others. She could talk, through the mind, to Night and others. She'd had Night since she was small and they loved each other deeply. In addition to that, neither of them were mortal so that only deepened their bond. It only strengthened their relationship.

"What's going on?" Taya demanded.

There's a girl!  Night said frantically.

"What?"

Night led her a few miles from her Uldarian comfort zone.

"Can you, please, put your wings away?"

Jealous?

She gave him a look and the wings faded into his sides giving him the appearance of an ordinary horse.

They walked in silence then finally he stopped.

The brush there.

She pushed some branches aside, looked at the girl then released them.

"Why'd you leave her here?"

Well, I was being chased so I had to leave her somewhere to get them off her trail. And I couldn't just spring her on you. You know how you get when things are sprung on you.

"How do I get?" she asked, her expression irritated and a raised left eyebrow.

That's beside the point. I saved her.

"Saved her from what exactly? And who is 'them'? And why'd you bring her to me?"

What is this? XX Questions? I brought her to you because you're a good person and she needs help. People are trying to kill her.

"Great. Now they'll be trying to kill us!"

If anyone can handle an attack from the royals, it's you.

She looked into the silky black face of the ezolin. "Royals?!" she shouted. "Who is this girl?"

Night took on a more parental tone instead of the playful one he’d used earlier with her.

Calm down. There has to be a reason this is happening to this seemingly normal girl. After you've heard her story, than you will decide.

"Apparently not so Normal." She groaned. “You take advantage of me.”

The fact that I’m one of few people you listen to? He paused. I will admit; it does come in handy.

“Excuse me?”

Taya’s instinct’s kicked in as she sidestepped around the girl and pulled a long black knife to the girl’s throat.

Taya!

Night noticed the shade of her eyes and the feral nature they took on. This always happened whenever she felt threatened or was about to do battle.

Taya, he said coolly, calm down. She’s not the enemy.

Taya slowly lowered the knife and sheathed it back at her right hip.

The girl rushed to increase the distance between she and Taya, almost falling as she did. She was a noticeable mixture of nocaw (brown skinned) and dawsin (white skinned). Her naturally arched brows hung over bright green hazel eyes. Her soft nose led down to lips, lower fuller than top. She was attractive enough. Her expression gave away her bewilderment,  eyes wide, brows low and mouth slightly ajar.

Taya scowled at her.

Taya, Night prodded. Behave.

Taya looked at her friend then cleared her throat.

“Garrett!” she shouted then whistled.

Shortly after, he landed in front of her.

“Yes, my lady.”

She looked at him blankly, “Don’t.”

“Ah, you’ve found or Night has found you. Whichever it may be, he’s returned and all is as it should be.”

“No, it’s not,” Taya growled.

Garrett turned to see whom Taya glowered at.

“Who, may I ask, are you?” he asked taking the girl’s hand, kissing her knuckles.

“She’s not welcomed. She’s invading our space; disturbing the balance. Uldarian will never accept her.”

Night nudged her roughly.

“I’m guessing he brought her,” Garrett deduced.

“Along with unwanted, unnecessary trouble.”

Taya walked away.

I’ve said my piece. Your turn.

Garrett followed after her and found her nestled against a tree.

“What’s really the problem?” he queried leaning over her onto the tree.

“All I know is he said something about the royals and it involved that girl. I’ve finally put Fylore behind me. I never wanted to go back there let alone deal with the royals. After what they did to my father…I could never face them without vengeance in my heart,” she said fiercely picking at the grass.

“I understand. They put you through a lot.”

“Both of us.”

“Okay. But think about it like this, she could be going through something very similar. What if we don’t help her and leave her on her own? She could be killed and the royals would be happy. I know you don’t want that,” he said with a smirk.

“I really don’t.”

“I also know you’d jump at the chance to strike them a fatal blow.”

“I would,” she said smiling maliciously.

“Well, here’s your opportunity. That’s two things you’ll get to take away from them.”

“So technically, helping her would be helping myself.”

“Exactly.”

He grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet. She threw her arm around his neck.

“You aren’t as clever as you think you are, you know. You’re just infatuated with the girl.”

He lowered his head shyly and they made their way back to Night.

They found Night and the girl sitting near the edge of Taya’s forest. He lay resting and the girl sat opposite Night, across an unlit campfire. It had gotten a bit late but not quite dark yet.

“Fine. I’m in,” Taya proclaimed. “What’s your name, kid?”

The girl kept her eyes on Taya’s feet. “Mya.” 

“Let’s hear the story,” Taya demanded.

A white wolf darted into the camp.

I thought I smelled something odd, the wolf said looking over Mya. Other than Garret, that is.

Taya and Night chuckled.

Garrett made a show of laughing hardest.

We have to get a move on, the wolf informed them. Soldiers are coming over that rise due east and they’ll meet us any moment now.

“Too late,” Taya said taking the bow from around her, opting Garrett to unsheathe his sword.

It looked like twenty or so soldiers coming toward them, weapons at the ready. She immediately let off three arrows.

“Taya!”  Garrett deflected an arrow flying at her. “Be careful.”

“Likewise. Thanks.”

At a side glance she saw an archer aiming for Mya. She ran and dove in front of it just as it was released. The arrow dug into her side. She fell, catching herself on her hands.

“Night!”

What do you want me to do? he asked.

“Get her out of here.”

“You can’t- Mya began.

“Get her out of here, now!” she shouted getting to her feet.

Mya climbed onto Night’s back and they took to the skies.

Taya snatched the arrow from her side and turned to see Rye slashing a man’s throat. She rejoined the fight, her own blood mixing with that of her opponents’. All she kept thinking was that this is what she was good at. Surviving. She wasn’t cut out to help others. Only survive. That’s why she was so good at it.

The soldiers began to fall. The last three scattered in an attempt to survive the massacre.

Taya aimed an arrow, drawing it back, full power. She let go and it tore through the air and into one of the mens' shoulder. The impact forced him forward violently. They took their time getting to him.

He writhed in pain on the ground. He’d removed his helmet. Matted blond hair stuck to his sweaty face and neck. He looked up at them with swamp green eyes.

Garrett knelt down to him, “Who, exactly, is after the girl?”

“I’ll not betray my master,” the soldier breathed in ragged gasps.

“Who sent you?” Garrett grabbed the arrow.

“I will not,” the soldier said anxiously.

Garrett twisted the arrow and the man screamed.

“Do you remember now or do you need further persuasion?”

“No! The king and queen were poisoned and it’s not looking good. The next in line is Keen but he hit a brick wall when he found information saying there was an heir to the throne before him, a girl.”

“And our girl is that girl?”

“Yes. She is the queen’s daughter. Ours is one of few foolish countries where women can inherit the throne.”

Taya kicked him in the side. “Stay focused.”

“The girl is either of their only children.”

“Not the king’s daughter?”

“No. The queen had an affair sixteen years ago.”

“What of the father?” Taya asked aggressively.

“He was beheaded some time later.”

“What?” Taya stood stunned with wide pale green eyes.

“What was his name?”

“Sir Knight Tabios Falon.”

Taya’s normally forest green eyes were an eerie faded color, reflecting the soldier’s.

He looked up at her, recognition in his eyes. “Are you not the daughter? Taya Falon?”

“Shut up!” Taya shouted, messily running her long knife across his throat.

The man’s blood curdling scream was drained out by his desperate gasps for the air that never came.

“I’ll take him to Uldarian. Let the forest dispose of him.”

Garrett stared into her dark green eyes, still dismayed at the ease with which she took life.

She picked up the body and for the first time all day, took flight.

We have to tell Night.

 

Taya flew over the forest and dropped the man’s limp body, watching it fall until she heard the soft thud as it finally hit the ground. She continued on until she reached the highest tree in the forest. She found her favorite branch and lay down.

“Amber. To what do I owe the visit?”

“You were assigned to me; to watch over me until I changed.”

She looked into the face of a winged man. His skin tone matched her to the exact tint. With black feathered wings, coil black hair and shining black eyes he looked to be in his mid-twenties and very fit.

He looked into her eyes, his carefree nature visible through the way he held his shoulders. His love for her told him all he needed to know but he knew she’d prefer to tell him herself.

“Yes. The courage and ambition you showed on your own were admirable. But mortal or not, you were but a girl. I realized you’d need help and took it to Livi. After much discussion, she granted my wish. It really is out of the ordinary considering no other fleshling has an algen-

“Then why did you neglect to tell me about my father? Why’d you let me go on believing in a man without morals?”

“Because his good memory was all you had. It kept you going.”

“I had Garrett.”

“He was a child.”

“And Mya?”

He watched her still shadowed green eyes swell with tears. The sight tore at his heart because he knew she did not cry easily or often and the fact that he contributed to the oncoming tears hurt him almost as much.

“I was not to interfere. It was something you either found out or not.”

She shook her head at his reasoning.

“There’s a war coming, Taya. She is a very big factor in the outcome. I hold your life in my hands. You are my responsibility. Your existence is essential to mine. We’re connected.”

“I know.”

“Who holds Mya’s life? Will you fight for your sister or leave her to die? She needs protection. There is none more powerful than blood…except algen, of course.”

That drew a smile out of her, putting color back into her eyes.

“My sister.”

“Amber, you will make the right decision. I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you.”

“Thank you, Pitch.”

“Anything for my little sister. We will accompany you during this war.”

She stood nimbly on the branch. He hugged her with his wings around her then began to drift away from her.

 

“What?!”

One of the soldiers who’d fled the barrage by Taya and her clan held his ground as he was scolded by a rather burly man who looked to be in his mid-thirties. The man was a danger to behold at about six feet. He obviously enjoyed the art of working out with broad shoulders, strong arms and eyes that looked to kill by sight; he looked the part of a usurper all too well.

“She got away,” he said slowly.

“Master Keen, there is more.”

“How many ways can you disappoint me in one day, soldier?”

“I’m afraid she’s made contact with the sister.”

The man fell back into a throne like chair and groaned in frustration.

“Have him flogged.”

The soldier was dragged from the room. Keen was left alone with a smaller, younger man. He was slightly shorter at five foot ten. His smaller muscles made one appreciate his speed and fighting capabilities. He was donned in a blue tunic, black tights and black breeches. He wore a fresh black shirt under his tunic and a long sword at his right side. On his tunic and the hilt of his sword was an eagle, silver in its glory at flight. His eyes were a very aware, very charming powder blue complimenting his long black hair.

“Scien?”

“Yeah.”

“I need you, little brother.”

“What do you need?” he inquired with a smooth voice.

“Now that the girl has met up with Taya, there is officially a war on our hands. She’s a dangerous girl in herself but our army is too much for her, Garrett and a horse.”

He stopped to think rubbing his temples.

“No doubt she has become quite skilled with nothing better to do than train. She did take down twenty soldiers after all. We’ll have to approach this situation very carefully. Who knows what type of allies she’s made.”

“She is a hostile girl who wants nothing more than to bring down this kingdom.”

“Luke left shortly after her banishment. He’s a well respected man and powerful knight. His loyalty is undying. The things he’d do for her…,” he trailed off in thought. “If she doesn’t have allies he does for her.”

“She’s a loner. She’ll command no army.”       

“It does not matter. At the slightest hint that things are out of her hands, something drastic will happen to tip the scale in her favor. I have a sickening feeling that something will be Luke.”

“He’ll only interfere if she’s helpless.”

“I disagree. What do you suppose?”

“We need to bring her in. If she is alive and well, the war will no doubt get out of hand. Bringing in the others as just-in-case incentive would also serve us well.”

“And her ablities?”

“We have poisons and arrows for that.”

“Well done. Bring them to me. If you can only bring Taya, that’s fine.”

“As you wish.”

He eyed his brother. “You talk a hard game.”

“What?” Scien asked squinting his eyes in distaste.

“Will your feelings for her handicap you?”

“There are no feelings, so no.” He returned his brother’s stare with contempt.

“Good. But remember, she ran off with Garrett.”

“She did not!” He drew his sword on Keen.

“Do not return without them.”

Scien calmed himself, put his sword away and set out.

 

Taya posted herself in a nearby tree, watching her friends.

“Look at them,” she whispered to herself. “Fraternizing with her like she’s one of us. Probably telling her all our secrets. It’s enough to make me throw up my squirrel.”

She’s back, Rye stated matter-of-factly.

“She is?” Garrett looked around erratically.

She’s using the shadows to hide herself.

Mya gawked at him awkwardly.

“You really are a common, egg collecting girl, aren’t you?”

“What makes you say that?” she asked.

Garrett rolled his eyes startling a laugh out of Rye and Night.

“You’ve never heard of creatures that communicate through the mind? I mean, you really didn’t think that all Night did was fly, did you? What good is a flying horse if it cannot speak?”

That is true, Night agreed.

“And Rye doesn’t just sit around looking fluffy and...pet-able. She’s a very important member of this team and family. She works her, uh, tail off.”

Glad to know I’m appreciated.

“Maybe they’ll talk to you one day. Until then, get used to being out of the loop. Besides, you think I’m weird because I talk to these two. Taya-

“Enough about Taya,” she said exasperated.

 Mya got up and walked away only to have Taya land in front of her, her bright green eyes peering at Mya through the darkness.

“Where are you going?”

“He’s very rude.”

“He may be silly, but he has a very low tolerance for stupid people; no matter how infectious her looks.”

Garrett dropped his face in his hands, the look of utter embarrassment on his face.

“Sit down,” Taya ordered.

Mya stared at her challengingly.

“Do you really want to try me?” She fingered the black assassin’s knife at her right hip.

“Sit down!”

The girl sat down reluctantly.

“Did you-

No. We said nothing, Rye interrupted her.

“We told Night only.”

“I would’ve liked it if you hadn’t.”

May I ask why not?, Night inquired.

“Because I already don’t want her here. Now with this new information, you’re going to be on my case about being nice to her and I don’t have the time or patience.”

Yeah. I don’t see that happening. Rye shook her head.

“Me either.” Garrett agreed.

I can only hope, Night sighed.

“Um, hello. I’m a little lost on the conversation at hand,” Mya pointed out.

“As you should be,” Taya exclaimed.

Taya strode over to the second unlit fire she’d seen that day.  She stood over the pile of wood. With her palm facing down, fire burst from her hand. Night, Taya, Garrett and Rye settled down while Mya stood, staring at Taya.

“Oh, yeah. She’s full of all kinds of surprises,” Garrett volunteered.

“Let’s hear it,” Taya said

Mya slowly sat once more.

“This morning, I was helping my oldest brother plow the fields. It was a normal day. Then we heard this scream and the roof of our house caught fire. Gavin told me to stay out in the fields. I watched him run downhill,” her voice caught, “and he was shot with an arrow. I ran to help him and met my other brother Lyle. He was helping Gavin stand when he was shot with an arrow.” Her eyes filled with tears. “He’d barely escaped from the house. His shirt was singed. He quickly told me that soldiers had come asking questions and demanding to see me. When they refused things got …violent. Two soldiers grabbed them. They told me to run but they were my brothers. That’s when he swooped in,” she said referring to Night. “They told him to take me far away so he took my collar in his teeth and flew away. I am grateful but at the same time, not so much. My family.”

We need more information, Rye commented.

“Why are they after me?”

“Your mother and father,” Taya said. “Well, more your mother.”

“You mean my real parents. Who are they?”

“Your father is dead. Beheaded,” Taya replied bitterly.

“Oh, God.”

“And your mother is dying,” Taya finished.

“But who are they?”

“Lord Tabios Falon was a fearless and important knight. The king’s most loyal,” Taya said sadly.

“And your mother,” Garrett took over, “is the queen.”

“Huh?”

“Your father was beheaded for sleeping with the king’s wife.”

Queen Alona is my mother and Lord Falon my father? My brothers dreamed of being just like him. They admire him. Didn’t he have a daughter? They always talked about her, too. How she had the exotic look of an algen. How if they ever met her they’d fall head over hills then make her choose between them. She had those hypnotizing green eyes; much like yours.”

“Yeah, it’s a coincidental curse,” Taya spat looking away.

“She had so much promise. I wonder what happened to her.”

“She was exiled! Thrown to the wolves for food; left on her own to fend for herself in a world she didn’t know!” Taya shouted.

Mya recoiled away from her heated outburst. “You feel very strongly about it. Did you know her?”

“I did. But she’s dead now.”

Silence engulfed the camp.

“Crushed that she’d been exiled only to find that her father, who she just knew would never betray his king, had done just that by bedding his wife. All that trouble she caused for nothing; all the trouble she endured for nothing!”

“They killed her?”

“No. She died of a broken heart.”

“Wow,” Mya whispered. “May I ask your story?”

“I was exiled for committing certain treasonous acts to prove my father’s sentencing was unjust. I began to hate my country. I began to hate the king and queen who were like parents to me. I vowed never to return.”

“What happened to him; your father?”

“He-

“I was forced to kill him,” she said cutting off Garrett.

“Why?”

“He’d rather die by his daughter’s hand then that of the crown who betrayed him. A soldier stood in front of him, sword coming down in an overhand cut. My arrow beat the sword.”

“They still banished you?”

“They could attempt to kill me but they knew that’d be pointless. They didn’t want to imprison me.”

“Your mother?”

“Is where I’ll get my immortality.”

“Who is she?”

“That’s none of your business, Your Highness.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to pry.”

“Sure you didn’t.”

“So you were shown mercy.”

“They spared my life because they loved me. Exiled me with everything I needed,” she muttered, realization dawning on her face.

“That was nice.”

“But I was consumed by rage. Night, who’d been with me since I was nine, managed to calm my rage. Rye came pretty much as soon as I was banished and taught me everything about the forest and surviving. She took me in.”

“And Garrett?”

“I was kicked out a year later. I guess you can say I malfunctioned. She’s my best friend.”

“I had to leave Scien. His brother forced him to stay; to let me go. He told him he shouldn’t abandon his duty for a girl.”

She stood and walked away into the darkness.

No one hates the story of their life more than she, Night said.

“Everything was great before all this,” Garrett added.

Poor kid.

 

Scien rode his horse hard, anxious about confronting Taya. He knew she’d be stronger but he still didn’t know what to expect. Would he really ignore what they’d had and merciless do what he needed to in order bring her to his brother? Would she show mercy?

He suddenly pulled on the reins causing his horse to rear up.  He patted the horse on the neck, settling him then jumped off. He looked around.

“Do you remember Taya? Her scent?”

He bent down and rubbed the soil between his hands. He rubbed his horse’s neck and decided to walk.

 

“Keen?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

 Keen still sat in his meeting room in his chairlike throne. A darkness formed around the chair behind him. It could not be peered into nor could it be entered. It did not disperse. It just remained there behind Keen's chair, a presence of it's own.

“I want that girl taken care of,” said the voice coming from the darkness.

“So it will be.”

“Then why’d you send your brother after his one true love?”

“Because I believe he will come through for me.”

“He does not share my vision for the future.”

“As long as he does his job, he need not share it.”

“He is loyal to Mathis!”

“Do you think me a fool? My brother is still in love with her which is why I sent one of my very best behind him. As soon as he sees her, his heart will melt and it’ll be love at first sight all over again. It’ll be the mistake that ruins your entire plan. That is unaffordable.”

 

I’m getting worried. It’s too late for her to be wondering.

Calm down, Rye. You taught her well.

I know. She should know better than to still be out and about.

Rye stood to go after Taya.

“If you find her you know she’s going to get a serious attitude and take it out on Her Highness.”

Rye sat down. Good point.

“Could you not call me any sort of highness?”

“Sure thing, Princess.”

Taya leaned against a tree using her knife to sharpen a stick. Talking about the royals and her father had gotten her so heated up. Even she couldn’t believe the words she’d spoken about she, herself, being dead and how she had to kill her father, but she needed a cover. If she had anything to say about it, that intruder would never know they shared a parent. Just thinking about it made her angry all over again.

She threw the stick into the ground, smiling when it landed standing in the dirt. While she was making her way back to camp, an arrow whizzed by her, barely missing her neck. She looked around then habitually gave in to her instincts. She stood solidly on the balls of her feet. She narrowed her eyes, listening for her attacker. She grabbed the hilt of one of the swords she kept on her back. The knife wouldn’t help her when he confronted her.

“Come on. Just a little closer,” she whispered. “I’m not supposed to be the target. What’s going on?”

She drew her sword quickly as it clashed with another. The owner was taller and stronger; his face was hidden under a deep hood and by a mask styled in the likeness of a demon. Their blades caught and he used his body weight as an advantage. She rolled out of the way causing him to falter. She took the opportunity and slashed him across the back.

His frustrated groan was familiar to her. He rushed at her again oddly sure footed in the darkness of a foreign. Had he been here before? However sure footed, he was too angry and too intent on returning the blow she’d dealt him. She sidestepped away from his sloppy parry and grabbed him around the neck. He struggled to free himself only to have a small dagger penetrate his chest. He struggled harder resulting in two more jabs in his chest. He finally went still. She threw him to the ground and pulled the mask off. After a moment of confusion and anger she pulled him to camp.

 

Scien, Rye said.

Scien grabbed his chest but didn’t wake.

“What happened?” Garrett asked.

Taya blinked slowly, her vision blurring.

Something’s wrong. Night moved to stand behind Taya.

She fainted and Night caught her on his wing.

“What’d you do?” Garrett sneered. 

His eyes flew open suddenly and Rye stood over him, growling.

“Call your animal off and I’ll tell you.”

Rye grudgingly sat back down.

“Now talk,” Garrett commanded.

“She was already injured when we sparred.”

You did it! Rye barked and all Scien heard was snarling. 

“Listen, I couldn’t have done it. That wound is old.”

“She jumped in front of that arrow for me,” Mya recalled.

 All eyes fell on her.

“Oh, yeah. I guess with all the excitement and adrenaline pumping she didn’t feel it.”

“Well, that’s great, Garrett.”

“What’d you say?” Garrett retorted.

“I said way to go. It’s been two whole years and you’re still as useless as you ever were.”

Garrett stalked toward an already injured Scien but Night cut him off.

“She isn’t your responsibility anymore, Scien. And never mind my uselessness. You just tried to kill her.”

“She certainly isn’t yours. Going with her wounds untreated.”

“She doesn’t love you anymore, Scien. What more do you want?”

Despite his wounds, Scien rolled under Night, pulled Garrett down by the legs and punched him in the face. They began to scrap.

Get him, Garrett, Rye cheered.

Night shot her a look then jumped in between them.

“She’s moved on with her life. She doesn’t need to be protected anymore!” Garrett asserted.

“I’m sure because if she had you to rely on she’d have died long ago.”

“To think I used to call you friend?”

“I guess we never were.”

“Are you boys done?” Mya questioned.

“Garrett?” Scien inquired.

“I’m done.”

“Then so am I. I’m only concerned about her and how much blood she’s lost.”

“After the fight, after trying to kill her, you’re concerned.”

“Is this how guys show they like young woman?” a voice imposed.

This is how wolves do it. Looks normal to me.

Pitch, Night said looking up.

“It’s really disappointing,” he concluded.

His wings melted into his back as he lightly landed in front of them.

Scien gawked at the algen. “An algen. How?”

“I’m Taya’s protector.”

“Then why didn’t you protect her from that arrow or whatever it was.”

Pitch’s body began to glow and cackle with dark, electric energy.

“You are out of line, fleshing.”

Scien calmed down and Pitch’s easy going nature returned.

“Taya can take care of herself. I completely agree with Garrett although I disagree with the way he went about it.”

Garrett shrugged his shoulders, his nonchalance back in effect.

“Can I have some room?” Pitch requested.

They all backed up. He got to his knees on Taya's left side to assess the damage then looked up at Garrett and Scien.

“Can you boys make yourself scarce?”

They walked away in different directions. He picked her up and placed her on a blanket Mya had laid out. He removed her red tunic and black shirt revealing her undergarments. He slowly released his wing.

I’ve always wanted to see this, Rye said enthusiastically.

“Looks like you’re going to get your wish.”

He plucked a handful of feathers from his wings and placed them over the open scar. He blew into his hands and brushed the remnants over the feathers. They slowly liquidated and wrapped around the wound, sealing it off. He inspected his work.

“It should fall off by tomorrow night. If it doesn’t, it hasn’t finished healing; but it should.”

He placed her black shirt over her to cover her bareness.

What do you think of Scien? Rye inquired.

His mouth pulled back in thought. “He feels he has a duty to follow orders especially from his older brother. Keen is all he has left and Taya doesn’t count. She’s no longer in the picture. He attacked her out of respect for his brother’s superiority.”

But why is Keen suddenly so power crazed? Night wondered. I’ve never known him to be so malevolent.

"Scien’s going to come to his senses; really soon. He’s loyal. He just needs to figure out whom to be loyal to. He’s never had negative feelings toward her. She was expelled and he was a knight. He couldn’t leave if he wanted to and she wouldn’t have let him. Scien has grown up, not without his issues but nonetheless. He’s just confused.”

Wow. Try telling that to Garrett and now Taya, Rye remarked.

“Our mother will take care of that tonight. The thing is, he has not and I doubt ever will turn his back on her. I don’t even think he’s capable of such a simple task.”

“Will Garrett turn his back on her?” Mya wanted to know.

Pitch suddenly looked very uncomfortable. “I’m afraid I cannot answer that. I must be going.”

He kissed Taya on the forehead, spread his wings, and flew away.

“Pitch?”

Taya sat up rubbing her forehead.

“You just missed him,” Mya replied.

“My side.” She grabbed the black spot where Pitched had patched her up.

Then she remember what happened. “Traitor! Where is he?” she asked getting up frantically.

Calm down, Night prodded.

“Can we come back now?” Garrett asked impatiently.

“Yes,” Taya voiced.

Scien exposed himself from a tree behind them. Taya turned to face him.

“Scien,” she breathed angrily.

She slowly walked toward him reaching for one of her swords but when she found they weren’t there she settled for her fists, balling them up. Garrett stepped in front of her.

“You tried to kill me!”

“You have my sincerest apologies.”

“I don’t want your apologies. Just an explanation.”

“I’ll tell you. Just, please, come take a walk with me.”

She looked at Night and Rye. They nodded their heads giving her the okay. Taya snatched up her shirt from the ground and walked away with him.

“Taya-

No, Garrett, Night said. Let her go.

 

“You’ve grown up; a woman now.”

She kept silent.

“So...how-

“Why’d you attack me?”

He watched her face, a mixture of anguish, fury and more questions of his recent behavior.

“Is that the first thing you wanted to do when you saw me again?” she asked.

“Oh, God, no! Never.”

She saw in his face that he did not lie and she could see the regret in the eyes. She wanted to forgive him but forgiveness wasn’t as easy as it once was.

“I still can’t believe you’re here,” she mumbled.

 “How are you? How have you been?”

“I’ve learned to survive. My horse-

“And a very loyal, protective wolf. How’d you manage that?”

“Yeah. She’s--she’s something else. She’s my friend.”

“So is the algen that guards your life. There has never in the history of man been an actual algen-human partnership.”

“It’s a bit more complicated than that.”

“You are the first to be protected by your very own algen. They are a neutral group.”

“Still neutral. There are other reasons he looks after me. Reasons I don’t care to disclose.”

“That’s fair.”

He smiled. “I feel closer to you than I have in a long time.”

“We haven’t seen one another in a long time.”

“Yes.”

He combed his fingers through her dark hair and covered her mouth with his own.

She allowed herself to be kissed. He’d taken her by surprise, a rarity in her life these days, but half of her was enjoying how he held her shoulders, how their mouths couldn’t react quickly enough to the passion they attempted to display. But soon the warrior half of her took over and she pushed him away.

“What? Don’t you still love me?”

“Sci, I-

His powerful blue eyes gazed at her expectantly.

“No, I don’t. I left all of that behind me when I was forced from my home.”

He looked down, broken hearted. The wounds began to take their toil as he heaved for air, his face clammy.

“I won’t disappoint Garrett who’s always been there for me. He walked away from his dream of becoming a knight so he could stand beside you for me. He was torn between two best friends and he chose me. I won’t make the mistake of taking that for granted and definitely not for an ex lover who made an attempt on my life,” she expressed passionately. 

He shook his head, thwarted. “Fine. But I still feel I must tell you that my brother’s trying to steal the throne.”

“Odd. Keen’s never been one for disloyalty.” she bit her thumbnail in consideration.

“I can’t believe it either. I never thought I’d betray my brother. He wanted me to bring you and the girl back. I was going to oblige but after seeing you, I decided to warn you instead. You have to take her and go. He’ll never sit on the throne as long as she’s alive.”

“Keen has to be stopped. All things considered, I guess...I guess I owe Mathis and Alona.”

“No, Taya.”

“I will not let this happen. If they die then she will rule. She will be queen if it’s the last thing I do.”

“Don’t do this, Taya. You and Keen never really got along.”

“I had no particular feelings toward him but now he’s committing treasonous acts. He must be brought to justice.”

“If you disappear, even if they died, he’ll not have the kingdom. It’s a win-win.”

She saw the desperation in his unsteady, dilated blue eyes. The thought of his only brother and the only young woman who could bring him true happiness going to war was a dreadful, bloody one. Keen was not one to quit easily and Taya had become a fierce competitor herself. The days ahead would be long and hard. It was time for him to pick a side.

“I can’t let your brother create chaos and madness among a clueless country and under the noses of clueless royals.”

“Taya, please-

“Thank you for the warning. You’ve served your purpose now be on your way. We can handle this ourselves. You have three holes in your chest and a nice scar across your back to use as an excuse for your brother,” she said walking away. “Tell him that’s our warning.”

“Where’s the honor in that?!”

“And where’s the honor in your path, you naïve fool?”

She trekked back to camp leaving him standing there.

Night lay close to the dying fire. Rye lay opposite him near the base of a tree. Mya slept on a roll-away pallet at Night’s nose. Garrett lay on a rollaway pallet at Night’s tail. Taya looked at her clan, acknowledging that this was probably the last restful sleep they’d get in awhile.

Scien settled himself by his brown mare at a distance and lie down.

“Amber.”

Taya turned to face her mother. Like she, her brother and many other algen, their mother chose to wear loose pants, the color of her wings, that the Juhai wore. They said the pants gave them more room to move while also feeling comfortable.

She embraced her daughter in a warm genuine hug, knowing the day she’d had.

“You’ve had a rough day,” she said kissing Taya on the cheek.

“You spoke with Pitch.”

“Of course.”

Taya looked at her mother, sadness in her eyes.

“Don’t look at me like that. He and I aren’t at liberty to tell you such things. I do what I can, though.”

Taya sighed, worried. She didn't like the feeling. She could take of herself so things never concerned or worried her.

"You can't afford to be distracted now. You need to concentrate on this war.”

“What do you think of her? This girl.”

“You’re not going to like what I have to say.”

“You’re my mother. I’m not supposed to.”

She laughed lightly. “Okay. I think you should declare your loyalty to her. I know you’ve already dedicated yourself to this war but that’s for selfish purposes. If all you’re thinking about is yourself, she won’t live to see tomorrow. She needs your full protection. I know you, daughter.” She took Taya’s face in her hands. “You will not give her your all unless you serve her. She is a nice girl. She truly deserves it. Remember who her parents are.”

“Oh, yeah; two immortal fleshling, both liars to people they love.”

“But he was a good father, a good man; honorable in every way.”

“Except the one that counted.”

Her mother ignored that. “And Alona is a well-disposed woman and a good friend. She was there for you when I couldn’t be.”

“She was also there for father.”

Her mother sighed heavily, holding on to her patience. “She’s only sixteen. She may not know the big secret yet but when she finds out, she’s going to look to you for understanding. She'll need guidance. She’ll need you and to know that she’ll always have you.”

Taya turned her back to her mother. Serving that girl was distasteful to her.

“Proclaim your loyalty to her. It’ll be odd to her at first but she’ll come to understand. Do you understand?”

“I do. But I don’t like it. Not in the least.”

“Then you know what you have to do.”

She watched Taya nod her head.

“On the upside, you’ll be getting your wings soon.”

She let a smile creep up on her lips.

“I’ll be watching, Amber.”

“Good.”

She yawned and her eyes closed before her mother left her.



© 2012 Deanna Ballard


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on March 7, 2012
Last Updated on March 7, 2012


Author

Deanna Ballard
Deanna Ballard

Forest Park, IL, IL



About
What defines me is not what I can tell you, but the things I can't. Know the things I cannot tell, and you'll find you know me I'm pretty laid back. I have a great sense of humor. I don't particula.. more..

Writing