Easter Monologue

Easter Monologue

A Stage Play by unexpectedsparkle
"

Teen girl who is questioning things that she's heard, but feels so alone with questions that are most important to her.

"

Teenage girl enters.

Girl: It's weird. During this time each year, almost everyone starts making plans for the holiday that comes every spring. Yeah, Easter. Be it's going to see family, eating a big dinner, going to church, having an Easter egg hunt. The list could go on. But what's the point? I mean, really. Every year it comes and goes. I know kids who have a whole "deeper meaning" of the holiday of where some guy died and rose again. My thoughts are, why is that so cheery? And if he really did rise from the dead, uh, where is he now? Yeah, that's actually a major one. In reality though, all these questions are still taps head. right here. Yup, not going anywhere anytime soon. No "one way trip to answers" tickets for them in sight. Because really, who am I to ask? My parents? scoffs. ha. That's a good one. My parents and I stopped really talking a loooong time ago. Now it's basically just, "Did you clean your room?" or "Leave a note if you're going out..." or "We'll be back later, sweetie..." pauses. Yeah. I hear that last one a lot. With my parents' new traveling jobs, I rarely see either of them. When they're not on business trips, they're going on "weekend getaways" to catch up with each other. Which is sweet, really, and it's cool that they're spending time with each other instead of gambling or drinking or the bazillion of other options adults have these days. But what about me? Whatever...it's all just "later, honey" for me. And the last time we even talked about Easter was when they were still telling me about the Easter bunny. Yeah. No questioning them. So what about my friends? Uh...I don't think that'd go over too well. I mean, recently, I've felt mostly like it's gossip, guys, or fashion, and that's all we talk about. Don't get me wrong- fashion and guys are great- Ian Harding? So hot. But anything that's actually deep, it's all brushed away by them. Not important. I mean, the last time we actually had a meaningful conversation? uh... it might have been 3 months ago when Courtney and I were on the phone talking about how her dog died. I think that's the last time. I mean, yeah, it probably was meaningful to her...but then maybe it's just me who's out of the loop. I tried asking them during the elections what they thought of the candidates, and Tracy was just like, "Woah. Like, why would I even care?" And that was about politics. I already know how they feel about "religious stuff". I mean, I'll be at a party with them, and sure, we'll be joking and seem to be having a great time, but I just don't know. I feel like there's nothing in it- like it's just an empty thing. But then again, the last time I was even invited to a party was weeks ago. I'm probably just too much of a drag any more. So who to talk to? I don't know. Google? Siri? I'm in a world full of people, I know. 7 billion people...then why do I feel so alone with nowhere to turn? That's something I really want to know.

© 2013 unexpectedsparkle


Author's Note

unexpectedsparkle
This monologue I originally used in a production, so it wasn't just a stand alone.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
Added on August 24, 2013
Last Updated on August 24, 2013
Tags: Easter, drama

Author

unexpectedsparkle
unexpectedsparkle

About
hey! so, my name is key, aka unexpectedsparkle. feel free to shoot me a message if you're feeling it. I'll reply when I can. I'm a soccer player from northern Ohio, super excited for the upcoming seas.. more..

Writing