How to Catch a Leprechaun

How to Catch a Leprechaun

A Story by Claire Darrow

Penelope sat in a patch of green searching for a clover with four leaves.

“I found another one!” said her brother, Patrick, holding up a four leaf clover triumphantly. Penelope frowned, she’d been searching for one all day with no luck. Her brother had already found seven, he was so lucky. Penelope was often envious of her brother. Patrick got to do everything just because he was a boy. He got to play outside while Penelope was forced to stay inside and practice her etiquette. Penelope didn’t think it was fair. She hated acting like a proper princess.

Penelope had hair the color of fire and too many freckles for her to count. She stuck out like a sore thumb and her fair skin burned quickly in the sun. Patrick loved to tease Penelope about her red hair. He nicknamed her carrot-top and teased that she must have been adopted.

“Princess! Come inside this instant. You’re going to get grass stains all over your pretty white dress” said the Queen to Penelope.

Penelope reluctantly followed her mother inside where she was scolded and forced to bathe. Tomorrow was Saint Patrick’s Day and Penelope was anything but excited. Her brother always bragged about how he was named after Saint Patrick.

Every night, the Queen read Penelope and Patrick a bed time story. Tonight they were reading a special book for Saint Patrick’s Day.

“How to Catch a Leprechaun,” read the Queen …

“Follow a rainbow to the pot of gold

To discover the secret the leprechauns hold

Leprechauns are very tricky

So you must catch them quickly

They like to play

And run away

If you catch a Leprechaun with a net

He will then make you a bet

If afterwards you set him free

He will grant a wish times three.”


That night Penelope dreamt she was a Leprechaun trying to hide a pot of gold but everywhere she went a rainbow exposed her spot. It was raining when Penelope woke up the next morning. She wondered if there would be a rainbow today.

Penelope stared at herself in the mirror as her lady in waiting buttoned up the back of a fancy green dress.

“Why do I have to wear a dress?” asked Penelope.

“Because it’s Saint Patrick’s Day and the Queen wants you to look pretty.”

Penelope didn’t care about being pretty. She hated dresses.

The King and Queen announced they had special gifts for the children.

A servant appeared with green gift wrapped boxes in hand. He kneeled gracefully in front of the children and presented them with the gifts. Penelope reluctantly curtseyed.

Patrick opened his present first.

 “Let me see!” said Penelope.

Patrick held up a golden sword.

“Can I see it?” asked Penelope.

“No. It’s too dangerous for you” said the King.

Penelope opened her present and frowned. Inside the box was a new pair of white shoes with golden buckles.

“Try them on” said her mom.

 Penelope was disappointed when they fit perfectly.

The castle was extravagantly decorated for the Saint Patrick’s Day. The entire kingdom was invited to drink and dance in celebration.

Penelope sat with her legs crossed at the girl’s table. The girls were gossiping about who the cutest knight in the kingdom was.

“Prince Harry is so charming!” said the Princess Pea.

“But Sir Lloyd is so strong” said Lady Beth.

Penelope was bored by the conversation. She watched the boys play outside in the rain. They were covered in mud from head to toe. Penelope thought it looked like so much fun.

“Mom can I go play with the boys?” she asked.

“No. I don’t want you to get your new shoes muddy.”

Penelope pouted. She hated her new shoes.

The Queen was too busy to notice Penelope excuse herself from the table and sneak out the castle door to play with the boys.

“What are you guys doing?” Penelope asked.

“We’re going to catch a Leprechaun!” said Patrick pointing at the rainbow in the clear sky.

“Can I help?” asked Penelope.

“No!” said Prince Harry.

“Why not?”

“Because you’re a girl. Girls are supposed to play with dolls.”

            Penelope went silent. No matter what she said, she knew she couldn’t change their minds. If the boys were playing with swords, they said she was too weak. If they were racing, she was too slow. And if she cried, she was called a baby. Penelope just couldn’t win. The boys would never let her. Penelope decided that if they wouldn’t let her help them, she would catch a Leprechaun all by herself.

Penelope thought it looked like the rainbow ended in the garden. She ran inside, tracking mud throughout the castle. She retrieved her pink butterfly net from the toy chest and raced to the garden.

She hid behind a hedge clutching the butterfly net tightly in her hand. The sound of tiny shoes caught her attention. Doing her best to stay hidden, Penelope followed the strange sound.

Penelope spotted the leprechaun dancing at the end of the rainbow around a pot of gold. He was the same height as Penelope and wore a green suit with a red hat. His crimson hair was almost exactly the same color as Penelope’s.

Penelope could barely control her excitement. The leprechaun so close and all she had to do was catch it. She ran out from behind the hedge and charged towards the leprechaun. The leprechaun turned to see Penelope, with the net raised high above her head. Before he could react, she swung the net down on top of him.

“I caught a leprechaun! I caught a leprechaun!” exclaimed Penelope.

“How did you sneak up on me like that?” asked the Leprechaun.

He noticed her muddy shoes.

“Where did you get those shoes? Shoes like that can only be made by a Leprechaun.”

“They were a gift from my parents” said Penelope.

The Leprechaun’s eyes widened.

“Then your parents must be the King and Queen. Princess, it’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

“How do you know my parents?” asked Penelope.

“Allow me to introduce myself,” said the Leprechaun. “My name is Lenny and I made your shoes.”

Penelope suddenly felt bad for getting mud on her new shoes.

“Oh. I’m sorry Lenny, I didn’t mean to get them dirty” Penelope apologized.

“Don’t be sorry” the Leprechaun laughed. “How about I make you a deal. If you let me go, I’ll grant you three wishes in exchange for my freedom.”

Penelope quickly agreed and freed the Leprechaun from the net.

“Thank you!” Lenny danced joyfully. “So what is your first wish?”

Penelope thought for a moment.

“I wish my hair wasn’t red.”

Lenny looked slightly offended.

“Why would you wish a thing like that?”

“Because everyone makes fun of my hair.”

“Very well” the Leprechaun said as he worked his magic.

Penelope looked at her reflection in the pond and screamed. Her hair was bright green.

“You tricked me!” said Penelope.

“Tricked you? You wished to not have red hair and now you don’t!”

“That didn’t mean I wanted green hair!”

“Then maybe you should have been more specific.” Lenny said.

“Now what would you like for your next wish? Would you like me to change your hair color once more?”

Penelope hesitated. She didn’t know what to do. If she wished to change her hair back, she would waste her second wish. But if she wished for something else, she would be stuck with green hair forever.

“Penelope?” said a voice from behind.

Penelope turned around to face Patrick. Her brother laughed hysterically at the sight of his sister’s green hair.

“What happened to your hair?” he asked.

“Lenny tricked me!” said Penelope, pointing at the Leprechaun. “I wished that I didn’t have red hair but he changed it green.”

Patrick noticed the short man standing behind Penelope.

“Is that a … Leprechaun?” asked Patrick.

“It is indeed” said Lenny. “Your sister caught me in her net so I have to grant her wishes. It’s not my fault she wished for something silly.”

“You look like a ripe avocado" her brother teased. 

Penelope missed her red hair.

“I wish my hair was back to normal” said Penelope.

“As you wish” said Lenny with a wink.

Penelope’s hair returned to its natural red hue.

“What is your final wish?” asked Lenny

“Wish for a dragon! Or a shield!” said Patrick.

Penelope thought about her last wish for a long time.

“I wish I was a boy” said Penelope.

“What?” Patrick and the Leprechaun said at the same time.

“I hate being a princess. Being a girl is no fun. I want to play outside with you” she said to Patrick.

“Are you sure about your wish?” said Lenny.

Penelope hesitated. “What do girl Leprechauns do?” she asked Lenny.
            “Nothing” said Lenny. “Girl Leprechauns do not exist.”

Penelope considered this for a moment. The thought of a species without any girls made her incredibly sad.

“I wish I was a Leprechaun.”

Lenny grinned and promptly granted her wish.

To be continued...

© 2017 Claire Darrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
Added on August 12, 2016
Last Updated on March 17, 2017
Tags: St. Patrick's day, luck, green, leprechaun