Eradicating Gender Roles

Eradicating Gender Roles

A Story by Ed Ward
"

I wrote this to convince people that getting rid of gender role is important and is a priority. So its a persuasive and argumentative piece.

"

The question you ask is “Is it the truth?”.  But when it comes to gender roles, really you should be asking if there is any truth. Who's to say that one needs to dress,  behave or act in one way or the other because of their gender. Unfortunately, people don't ask why they should follow a certain gender role. Instead, they bend to society's rules and accept these norms on how they must live as the “truth”.


The next question is”Is this fair?”. Is it fair to encourage boys to fish, hunt, mow and chop wood instead of doing inside activities? Is it fair to encourage girls to bake, cook, babysit, garden and quilt instead of outdoor activities? No gender roles are the oppression hiding in modern day society and media. But getting rid of gender role on the other hand would be fair to all. It would be fair to girls and women allowing them to do the things their mothers had taught them they couldn't do because that's how it was taught to them. It would also be fair to men not limiting boys to not having feelings and doing anything stereotypically feminine.  


If gender roles were to be taken out of society, people would do things out of the goodness of their hearts without filtering the action through a gender glass. It would build friendships, because almost everybody would have the same concept of each other. No one would think of themselves as better than or less than another person because there would not  be a predestined “assigned role” to a gender. No one would have reason to think it strange that men go to book club and knitting class; or that  women are in the engineering and other scientific fields because they enjoy it. Men, women and children would just see people willing to work together; enjoying their lives.  


It would be very beneficial to society if we start teaching our new generations not to label roles as male or female. Teaching young children that housecleaning is a role for anyone. Teaching children that reading a book is fun for any person. Teaching children that boys can knit or dance, they are interests that shouldn’t shame them. Teaching girls that climbing trees or playing Legos doesn’t make them “Tomboys” but just a child that wants to learn and have fun. If you think about it, getting rid of “gender labels” would make people more creative and tolerant and accepting of diversity. Eradicating gender roles would just be diversifying one's mind, opening it up to so many opportunities that usually one couldn't take or one would be too afraid to dare. If everyone was on the same level from the beginning; being able to choose the activities they like and dream of career paths, every field would be diverse beyond reason. Minds from all walks of life could advance together, making life in a society easier; and also potentially advancing in technology, agriculture, literature and art.


In conclusion,  eradicating gender roles would be fair and it would improve everybody's life. From the freedom of allowing anyone to pursue anything to the reassurance of not being judged or ridiculed for one’s dreams. I’d dare to say reducing bullying and opening the chances of people making friends; tolerating and understanding what is valuable and interesting of each other’s lives with the idea of joining our minds, interests and talents to advance as one single unit towards a better society, regardless our gender.  

© 2017 Ed Ward


Author's Note

Ed Ward
For my final in english i have to share my writing and writing skills to an audience that is not the class and then receive feedback from it. so i would love to hear what people think. PLEASE comment

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on May 4, 2017
Last Updated on May 4, 2017
Tags: gender roles