The Route

The Route

A Story by Aberrant
"

Start of a book I tried to write one day, didn't get too far with it and I've changed it a bit since then. Please review and tell me if I need to change anything or if it's good for starting a book.

"
Cars rush over as I lay in my bed. The mud drying on my face and my arms shiver. The card board I lay on is hard and wrinkled. I grab my newspaper and hold it over me, shivering violently. Shutting my eyes tight, my tears roll slowly down my face. I curl into a ball and wish this had never happen. I wish I was never born. 
After a while I sit up, scratching my scruffy face, and look around. The mud beneath me is cold and damp, the pillars around me are slathered in graffiti, and the cars above me slowly move along, the people in them just starting their day. This overpass had been my home ever since I was forced from the streets in Jemply, the run down, degenerate filled, and unlawful place in which I grew up in. It wasn't always like that. Jemply use to be a quiet town filled with lots of smiling people, clean streets, and little shops here and there, but when the economy broke and the syndicate took over, the city's population went down, the shops closed, and the streets were filled with the homeless and pack of syndicate members, waiting for opportunities. So, now the only reason to go to Jemply is for drugs, alcohol, or anything else that can ruin a persons' life. While this city may be dangerous, the road goes two ways, from Jemply to Suno and back again.
Suno is a complete 180 turn from Jemply, with their huge population, their super malls, and their police force built like a military. But, this doesn't mean there is no corruption. The reason everything is so nice and perfect in Suno is because when the economy broke in Jemply, the economy rose in Suno. The buildings were then lit up like firework exploding through out the city, the people cheered, and the executives grinned at all the incoming customers. With the city in such a boom, the people no longer needed to leave, yet they enjoy driving around so much in their fancy cars that they get bored in one city. Like flies to fly paper, the citizens of Suno would go straight into the heart of Jemply and drive around, getting excited over the fear they felt. I would see some of those cars drive past and I would hear the clicks of their doors locking as they drove past me. 

When I think back on the time I spent in Jemply, I think of my mother. She worked so hard to keep our family together, even though she foresaw this downfall in the economy. When we were pushed out on the streets, she would do anything to keep me safe from harm. One day there was a group of kids, not much older than I was, who were harassing me for my shoes. At this time my mother was in a convenience store trying to bargain for a quart of milk. When she saw that I was in trouble, she rushed through the boys and pushed them all away. There were about 4 or 5 of them and they all tackled her down, grabbing at her and biting. She scratched one of their faces, leaving a deep scar on his cheek. The boy then reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, but sharp, knife and cut her throat slowly. She fell to the floor gasping and grabbing at her throat, which was  spewing blood everywhere. The kids stole what little money she had and ran away. I went over to her, clenching my teeth and holding my mothers hand til the end. I left her there, knowing it wouldn't matter where I took her, but the boys missed her wedding ring and I have it now. I wear it in reminder of that day and in reminder of the faces those thugs.

© 2014 Aberrant


Author's Note

Aberrant
Picture found at: http://www.davidsongalleries.com/artists/robinson/robinson.php
It may not make much sense now, but it's just parts I'd like to be in the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on January 27, 2014
Last Updated on January 27, 2014
Tags: story, road, roads, route