I. Preludes

I. Preludes

A Chapter by Ruby

“There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

- Douglas Adams

 

I suddenly realised it’d happened again. I wasn’t me. I was standing in what was clearly my room, the purple walls, the ceiling fan, the familiar piles of junk, but only a small portion of my mind was registering this. Majority of me was thinking, ‘Where am I? Why am I here of all places? Whose hands are these?’

 

In rebellion, or maybe fear, I turned all mirrors to the wall. Now everything was refined to the four walls surrounding me. My window was, as always, blocked off from the sunlight that dared attempt to wake me. My door was closed.

I realised I had forgotten the time – How much light should there be? I went to open the door, but when I placed my hand on the doorhandle my body reacted as if it had burnt away my skin. ‘I don’t know what’s behind the door’ said most of me – my sanity stated that it was simply my loungeroom – ‘Anything could be behind there.’

 

I turned back into the middle of the room and watched the ceiling fan revolve. I felt a grin appear on my face. The possibilities were building up. ‘Perhaps we aren’t in Kansas anymore.’ I giggled, a strange laugh that built up from my stomach, and then outburst into sound – breaking the silence. I went back to my doorhandle, and turned it, but my laugh turned into a painful frustrated sob and I backed away. If there was my loungeroom behind that door I wouldn’t be able to take it. This voice in the back of my mind was not allowed to be correct. I clawed at my hair, my face, as if there was something beneath the surface.

Again I tried the door, this time opening it. I stepped forward onto oak floorboards, a plain white room. There were no windows. It was totally empty but for a grandfather clock. My grin, and the state of mind that provoked my imagination to surprise me, was replaced with a look of shock. This was an actual surprise. This was not my loungeroom.

 

I stepped into the room, regaining my smile as I noticed the white walls were erasing everything in my peripheral vision.  By the time I reached the clock there was no longer a floor, and no longer a clear definition of where one wall ended and where the other began. I briefly looked behind me at the emptiness I was leaving behind. Thinking about my ability to blank out everything but this ticking that was echoeing around the infinite space, I opened the door to the clock, and walked through it. 

 



© 2008 Ruby


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i freakin love the douglas adam quote at the beginning... and strangely it ties in with the prelude.. it's a catchy beginning because it's disturbingly creepy and kinda confusing.. but i am hooked ^^
-reading on-
-ST

p.s. I love hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and the novel which follow it ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 6, 2008
Last Updated on December 8, 2008


Author

Ruby
Ruby

Australia



About
Hello! I am. I have been. I might continue to be. You possibly are. You might possibly continue to be. When asked what you want to do and have, say do nothing and have some rest. I think those are th.. more..

Writing
Seven Seven

A Book by Ruby


II. The Void II. The Void

A Chapter by Ruby