Chapter 1: A Book, a Myrath, and a New Life

Chapter 1: A Book, a Myrath, and a New Life

A Chapter by Delania Recarter

Its Monday and so far my week has been everything but ordinary. Yesterday I went into the bookstore to browse through the new releases and pick up my requested books but my trip took a turn.


The bookstore is brown and small. There are several bookshelves lines across the room. Its always very dim because Jeffrey likes it dark but not exactly dark or exactly bright.The dim light gives it a mysterious feeling. I like it like that, but I always wonder if the other customers do. I find it kind of hard to read in there. But Jeffrey says “The bookstore is for shopping not reading. If you want to read then you can go to the library.” “ People read in bookstores, Jeffrey. I read in bookstores at least.” I always tell him. “Yeah, well not in my bookstore, you don’t!” he replies annoyingly. I guess he knows he doesn’t have to play the customer-is-always-right game with me.


When I got there the scent of cinnamon candles met me at the doorstep when I walked in. As always there were several candles burning. Jeffrey loves candles. Everyday there is a new scent burning. Last time I came in the scent was Almond.


“Hello Baynella!” Jeffrey greeted me. Jeffrey had just taken over the bookstore about a year ago. He is stout, has brownish black hair, and you could almost always catch in him in a pair of overalls. “Hey Jeffrey! I came to pick up those books I requested online and look at some of the new releases,” I told him.


“Oh ok! They are on the pick up shelf,” He responded. I looked through the stack of books I picked up off the shelf and noticed one I didn’t recognize. At least not from any of the pictures online. But, I didn’t recognize the title either.


“Jeffrey, I didn’t request this book,” I said. As I walked back over to the counter I stared at it. It was an old black book and gold around the perimeter of the front cover, binding, and back cover. In the center of the front cover there was a picture of a gold key. I felt strangely attracted to the book. “Oh, then that must have been my mistake,” he said in a is-that-so tone .


He put his hand out to take the book back but I decided to buy it. “No, that’s alright! I think I am going to buy this book along with the others.”Jeffrey rang me up and I left the bookstore.


When I got home I went straight to my bedroom. We lived in a small blue house since its just the 3 of us. My bedroom is yellow and has a computer and wall television. My parents weren’t home from work yet so I had plenty of time to do what I wanted. I opened my backpack and pulled out the books I had bought from the bookstore. After pulling them all out, the one that sat on top of the stack was named Myrath. I picked it up and opened it. On the front page, instead of a title there was a warning.


It read “If you are reading this then you are the keeper.” “The keeper?” I thought to myself as I continued to read. “As the keeper, you are to protect your Myrath and keep him/her as your own. You are also to protect this book and never lose it. You are the chosen one and your journey begins when you flip this page. Good Luck always.”


“Journey? What is Myrath? Ok all of this is insane!” My thoughts flew through my brain as I tried to think of answers and explanations. I turned the page to hopefully read about some mystery and that warning was just to shake me up.


Suddenly a purple bubble floated up from the page in the book and a chubby mini person less than 8 inches tall flew out. My eyes popped wide open. I felt like I wanted to scream but I was too shocked and wrapped up in the moment to actually let one out. I just sat there in surprise staring at whatever it is with my eyes wide open and with it staring at me with a wide smile. “Uh, hello? Aren't you going to say something?” It finally spoke up.


“IT SPEAKS!!!” I yelled in my head. My eyes popped even wider. I never thought they could get that wide. I began trying to back away when I realized I was already in the corner of my room. As I stared at the miniature being, I finally got the guts to say something. “What in the world are you? Are you even from this world?” “Did you not read the warning page? I know some humans don’t like to read, they just like to skip straight to the action. At least that’s what I heard from Lilah. Although, Lilah said that’s what her mother told her from her experiences in this world.” It began to ramble on and on.


“Ok, just answer the questions! First off what’s your name and what are you, because I am pretty sure you are not human.” I began to raise my voice at. “I am Moriah, your Myrath that you will protect and care for!” She said with a huge smile. “Okay, the warning page said I am to protect you and keep you as my own not care for you.” I said annoyed by the stuck up little know it all. She has black wavy and curly hair, dark brown eyes and is wearing a red princess dress.


“As the keeper you have a new life. A new life with secrets, creatures and beings like me who you never knew existed, and a new job as the keeper. Because you are one of the chosen ones you are destined for this job. which means there is no trying to get out of it. You care about almost any and every living thing. Which is why you are a chosen one. There are others along the way, but for now its just you and me. I am your guide along your journeys. ” Moriah explained.


As I tried to take all this in I could hardly help, but think about how my life is supposedly changed by a book, a so called Myrath and now I am given a new life to live that I am a destined chosen one.




© 2013 Delania Recarter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

99 Views
Added on February 18, 2013
Last Updated on February 18, 2013
Tags: Myrath, Destiny, Fantasy, Novel