Flip Flops at 4am

Flip Flops at 4am

A Poem by Alex Hutchinson
"

A jealous boyfriend loses his temper over a suspicious phone call.

"

It’s amazing how peaceful our lives can be

The daily dull of nothing happening

We complain about it

We fight against it

 

It only takes one moment for that dull to blaze away

The strange phone call at 2am

Her voice on another man’s phone

Your heart sinking

 

She’s been drinking with friends

It’s no big deal she assures you

They have to eat themselves sober

She’ll be home soon

 

Two hours pass with no word

The restaurant is twenty minutes away

You buzz the strange cell number

His number

No answer

 

You call again and he picks up

Is she there?

Yes, close by her voice echoes

She says she’s buying new flips flops

At four in the morning

 

The anger rises again

His phone, his voice, she’s with him

She’s out at four in the morning

While your home alone

Feeling like a jealous boyfriend

 

It’s no win really

You can be angry or disappointed

Confused or feeling mislead

All of it bullshit

 

Tiny inferences lead you to conclusions

None of which might be true

She has a friend or a crush

It’s usually simple and brief

And harmless

 

Your actions can make it worse

But only worse

Nothing can make it better

Nothing but trust

 

Flip flops at four in the morning

If that’s what she says

Then you believe her

He’s just a friend

So you believe her

 

It’s a feeling of powerlessness

The waiting, the wondering

In the end she did come home to you

And that’s all that matters

 

Besides

She has the new flip flops

To prove it

 

 

www.suburbanfiction.com

 

© 2008 Alex Hutchinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like this way of writing about jealousy and the title is genius. It's a nicely flowing poem just carries you along with it's rhythm. However, the first 2 verses were the ones for me.... could have been the opening to many different scenarios and it is so true that we complain about boredom but it just takes that one single moment to change everything and make us realise there are worse things than being bored.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Bravo at tackingly something as intricate as one of those situations, you made it flow really well, like a story you want to keep reading. It also has an element of comedy, irony - I'm not sure what to call it. Nice work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Buying FLIP FLOPS MY A*S... This is a very good piece and realistic. I felt the realness of it I can recall a situation like that happened recently. This piece is very good but it pissed me off it struck nerve that's all.
Hats off to a very good piece... to it's realness.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Buying FLIP FLOPS MY A*S... This is a very good piece and realistic. I felt the realness of it I can recall a situation like that happened recently. This piece is very good but it pissed me off it struck nerve that's all.
Hats off to a very good piece... to it's realness.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LoL, oh man, this was really awesomely said! Yea, the feeling of suspicion...ugh, it's terrible when a person has to go thru it, i tell ya. Well, must've been a 24hr Walmarts nearby or somethin hehe. At least he tried to keep his cool lol. Wonderful job!

B.A.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have felt like that at times and in the end its nothing to worry about. You sure know how to put those kind of feelings in words.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I'm going to be direct here and say thank f**k I've just read this because I've trawling through so much under-average cack today!

Thank you, your repetitive use of flip-flops at four in the morning just works beautifully, I also really like knowing your thought process.

Jealousy is a nasty bird with a sharp peck and here we have a great work through sitting at home, listening to things and how you make up all this crap in your head, I'd say we've all been there, I don't anymore but I've definitely seen the pain.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I meant to write about this the first time I read it but I was pressed. Anyways, this is wonderfully written with such feeling. It's definitely something I can relate to. I think I love the overall view of it most. She has the flip flops to prove it. That is the most humbling line in the poem. It just shows how we can all get so worked up and worried for nothing. Excellent job of getting feeling across!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Flipping heck my friend this is really well done and I loved it. So very different and you had me well and truly hooked. No wonder that you have had many published. Wow! Anne.xxx

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this really heavy.....I been that same place before......just so well-worded, the feelings and events....another powerful introspective piece of work from you......I am going to have start expecting this kinda write from you, and I enjoy it very much....

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed this poem the part about a strange call from her on some guys phone. I like the positive ending that supports keeping a relation in tack as well. Plus flip flops are so darn sexy, how can anyone be mad at her for buying them at four am. Great stuff!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2252 Views
66 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

Alex Hutchinson
Alex Hutchinson

Englewood, FL



About
Alex Hutchinson is an award winning poet and novelist. His most recent book is Twisted Trails, a collection of inspiring short stories about mountain biking. It is available at Amazon.com more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain