The Golden Acorn

The Golden Acorn

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

The golden acorn was so like the pendant grandma had given me years ago. Sending me messages again grandma?

"

I was walking down a dusty road, hardly noticing the brilliant fall leaves as I lost myself in my thoughts. Then a golden oak leaf fell quietly to the earth, landing on the road at my feet with a heavy metallic clink...


Funny, I wonder what that noise is? 


Kicking the colorful leaves aside with the toe of my shoe, I spied a golden acorn. 


Where did you come from? 


Picking it up, I had to smile. The golden acorn was so like the pendant grandma had given me years ago. 


Sending me messages again grandma? 


 My grandmother had passed on more than 20 years ago. We had been very close during our time together. We shared a secret...we could talk to each other, without actually speaking.


My life had been in an uproar lately, nothing seemed to be going right. My husband had been having an affair, with someone I thought was my best friend. I asked him to leave, give me some space to think. That is what I was doing out walking down this dusty road today. I had four boys to support and no skills to do it with. Tears streamed down my face. 


How can I possibly get a job that would pay enough to support us? And what about the boys, don't they need their father? I was so torn. What did I do to deserve this? Was I a bad wife, mother, or maybe a bad cook? I know I'm not that pretty, and I'm too shy. Oh if only grandma were here now!


That is when I heard the metallic clink and found the acorn. 


Grandma, are you telling me something? 


I rolled the acorn around in my hand, contemplating it. 


Maybe it wasn't my fault, maybe it would have happened no matter what I had done. 


I was feeling better about myself.


Perhaps the fault was in them?


The next day I applied for a job at McDonald's. I was so nervous, perspiration beaded my forehead. I looked directly into the manager's eyes as I answered his questions, all the time pretending to be self-assured. The benefits included help with college! 


Can you see in my eyes how badly I need this job?


“You will get a call, within a week,” the manager said, betraying no sign of how the interview had gone.


I waited at home on pins and needles, wondering when the call would come. Two days later, the phone rang, caller ID said it was McDonald's. I was afraid to pick it up, for fear it was a rejection.


“May I speak with Cathy Johnson?” the caller asked.


“Speaking,” I managed to say.


“This is Alicia at McDonald's calling to let you know you got the job. Can you start tomorrow at 7:00 am?” she asked.


“I sure can, Alicia, thank you!” I nearly dropped the phone I was so excited.


So I started work...it was challenging, work, the boys, and college. The boys and I moved into a small apartment, it was cramped, but it wouldn't be forever. I still have that golden acorn, it reminds me that I can do anything I put my mind to.   



© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very uplifting story, Wendy. I just read it where you posted on Facebook. It's good to see you stretching your storytelling, each time I read something new from you.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Debbie! I had another story written, but it just didn't feel right, so I started all over t.. read more
Debbie Barry

6 Years Ago

I understand. That happens, some times.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
1 Review
Added on November 4, 2017
Last Updated on November 26, 2017
Tags: Separation, Divorce, Sadness, Psychic, Copyright Wendy Seames Garner 20


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing