Blessings Of Thanksgiving

Blessings Of Thanksgiving

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

Joey pulled a package out of his jacket pocket offering some of the crumbled mess to Janet, who took a handful and put it in her mouth.“Hmm, it's good. What is it?” she said.

"


Janet sat under the maple tree watching the other kids as they played, feeling too shy to join in the fun. Her clothes, gleaned from a pile of donations, weren't in style, and a bit too big. Mrs. Thomas, who was in charge at Arcadia Home For Fosters, advised, “It's better to get your clothes too big, so you can grow into them.”


Janet watched Cindy and Sarah as they swung, almost reaching the sky. Blue-eyed Cindy, with her long blond hair, and Sarah, who had large brown eyes and dark brown shoulder length hair, were best friends. Janet had never had a best friend. Being in foster care meant moving from house to house, never staying in one spot long enough to make friends.


Picking up her book, Janet pretended to read, hoping no one would wonder why she was sitting there alone. The wind blew, tossing her short auburn curls. Tears in the corners of her green eyes, threatening to fall, as she thought about the upcoming holiday. Thanksgiving was supposed to be about family, but she didn't have any. Oh, there would be a big turkey dinner, with all the fixings, even pumpkin pie, at the foster home. The workers there were nice enough, but they weren't a real family.


Janet closed her eye and tried to remember her mother. It had been so long...she couldn't remember the sound of her own mother's voice anymore, and the images were starting to fade, too. Sometimes, Janet would stand in front of the mirror and pretend she was looking at her mother, who also had green eyes and auburn hair.


“Whatcha doing?”


Janet looked up startled, right into the warm hazel eyes of Joey Tate. His crooked smile beamed down at her.


“Just...reading,” she managed to stammer.


“You want to come play with us?” Joey asked, “We are gonna start a game of baseball, and we could use another on our team.


“I've never played baseball before,” Janet answered.


“That's OK, we'll show you what to do,” Joey said starting to walk away. “You comin'?”


“Sure!” Janet called, picking up her books and rushing to join him.


Janet had more fun that day than she could ever remember having. Joey had patiently shown her how to swing the bat. She even hit the ball and made it to first base. When Joey hit a home run, Janet was able to run all the way to home plate. Their team won the game 4 to 1! Afterwards, Joey shared some brownies, that his mom had made. They were so delicious.


As they left the playground, Joey yelled, “See ya tomorrow!”


Janet had her head in the clouds as she walked back to Arcadia.


“I have a friend!” she shouted, as she skipped along.


The next day was a Monday, that meant Janet had to endure hours of Math, English, and History before she could meet Joey at the playground. Miss Thompson had to reprimand her, for not paying attention during Math. Finally, both hands on the clock pointed to three, it was time to go home!


Janet ran all the way to the playground. She didn't see Joey anywhere. Disappointed, she turned to go home to Arcadia.


“Janet, over here!” a voice called.


Turning, she saw towheaded Joey waving to her from the monkey bars. A smile brightened her face as she hurried over to meet him.


Hanging by one arm he asked, “Are you a monkey, too?”


“Yeah,” Janet answered.


Holding out her callused and blistered hands as proof, she clamored up to join him. She skipped every other rung to show off her skills. After a few minutes of swinging like monkeys, they took a break, sitting on the ground, legs crisscrossed.


“Is your mom fixing a big Thanksgiving dinner, or are you going to grandma's house?'' Joey asked.


“There will be a turkey dinner, but neither my mom or grandma will be making it...I live at Arcadia Home For Fosters,” Janet admitted with a blush.


“Gee, I'm sorry. I had no idea, didn't mean to hurt your feelings,” Joey replied, his voice somber and remorseful.


“That's OK, you didn't know. I'm used to it anyway...I've been in foster care for six years.” Janet said, the catch in her voice betraying that she wasn't really “use to it”.


Joey seemed to be thinking, his face screwed up in a funny way.


“Say, I've got an idea, but I better check with my mom first.” He said as he bid her goodbye and hurried off for home.


The next day was torture for Janet, wondering what Joey would have to tell her. She raced to the playground after school, beating Joey there. Swinging furiously, she waited for Joey to arrive. Joey, having spied her, sat down on an adjoining swing. They tried to see who could swing the highest, Janet won. Then Joey jumped out of his swing, nearly breaking a leg as he landed. Janet slowed her swing down, then exited it normally. Racing to the willow tree, Joey winning this time, they climbed up, sitting side by side on a limb. Joey pulled a package out of his jacket pocket offering some of the crumbled mess to Janet, who took a handful and put it in her mouth.


“Hmm, it's good. What is it?” she said with a mouthful of the spicy stuff.


“It's pumpkin bread. Mom made it for Thanksgiving dinner. She made a little extra, cause she knows how much I like it.” Joey answered, his love for his mom quite obvious. “You want to come for Thanksgiving dinner? Mom says it's OK. She is the best cook. We are having turkey, with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, butternut squash, green bean casserole, grandma's strawberry jello, and pumpkin bread. And for dessert, the best pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie you ever ate!” Joey gushed.


Janet couldn't believe her luck, not only did she have a friend, but she was invited to spend Thanksgiving dinner with his family.


“Sure, that would be great. Thanks for inviting me. Where do you live, and what time should I be there?” Janet replied, wanting to give Joey a hug.


“My dad will pick you up at Arcadia, he has already called ahead and arranged it with Mrs. Thomas,” he said proudly.


Janet felt sure she was the luckiest girl in the world. This would be the best Thanksgiving Day ever!

Pumpkin Bread


1 ½ cups Sugar ½ teaspoon Cinnamon

1 2/3 cups Flour 1 cup Pumpkin

1 teaspoon Baking Soda 2 Eggs Beaten

¾ teaspoon Salt ½ cup Oil

¼ teaspoon Baking Powder ¼ cup Milk

½ teaspoon Cloves ½ cup Nuts Chopped


Mix together all the ingredients and pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.







© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wendy Garner enough with unfinished work. hahah. I want to know what happens next. Maybe you will have some time to write a second part tomorrow?

Anywho, I love how well the story flows and the kids are just perfect! I can see them in my head as I was reading.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Diane, sorry to leave you in suspense!



Reviews

Wendy Garner enough with unfinished work. hahah. I want to know what happens next. Maybe you will have some time to write a second part tomorrow?

Anywho, I love how well the story flows and the kids are just perfect! I can see them in my head as I was reading.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Diane, sorry to leave you in suspense!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Added on November 21, 2017
Last Updated on November 26, 2017
Tags: Copy Right Wendy Seames Garner 2, Cooking, Recipe, Pumpkin Bread, Thanksgiving, Orphan


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing