An Ode to Mr Lonely

An Ode to Mr Lonely

A Story by walkingdollhouse
"

A real story written in the form of fiction. The very beginning of a story.

"

“I wanna know your deepest darkest vice,” he said, in a drunken slur with the eyes of a madman.

“I’ll tell you mine… my worst vice is pride, second is gluttony. Whats yours?”

She looked away from his piercing eyes nervously: “I don’t know, that’s a pretty intense question. You shouldn’t ask me these questions Albert.” Albert was her mother’s friend. Her mother and him went on a date once. He came back to the house after and anxiously went through an entire pack of cigarettes, proceeding to squeeze the 3 cans of beer he drank. They were so crushed after he drank them you could have used them as coasters. After the date, Jasmine remembers her mother saying "next time he'll crush me!" That was the last time they saw him, until that night ofcourse.

The whole scene was just like it was presented in the movies. It was dark and lit with a blue light that gave it that trashy edge. There wasn’t one person in the bar you would want to associate with beyond that very moment. They were all either drug dealers, traffickers or prostitutes. And of course “the lonely white male.” He serves as the basis of this whole operation. That keeps this whole thing moving.

Albert fits precisely into this category. There was something deeply tragic about him as he sat there drunk and probably high at 4 in the morning on a Tuesday. Talking about his “vices” in this very guilt ridden Christian way. His perversion both fascinated and repulsed Jasmine simultaneously.

She thought about possible childhood traumas that could have lead him to this stage. Maybe he was touched up by a priest? Sexually molested by his father? Perhaps his father was an alcoholic who beat him and then proceeded to molestation? “Why do I keep returning to molestation?!” She shook her head, in an attempt to rid herself of silly thoughts.

Ironically, the exploiter of the “lonely white male,” and of global inequality, eg. the Trafficker (let’s just call him that for the rest of this story), seemed more trustworthy and kinder than Albert.

© 2015 walkingdollhouse


Author's Note

walkingdollhouse
This beginning is non-fiction, but I want to turn it into a short story and add fictional elements. Just wanted to get some initial feedback from this introduction. Also since this is the first time I have written in the format of fiction.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed this and wanted to know more.
There is a nice atmosphere of foreboding and dread.
However the atmosphere is punctured in a couple of places with 'ill judged word use'. I'm not sure the thoughts were 'silly'. I think you need to find something a bit darker to maintain the darkness and foreboding.
But having said that keep on going, this is good.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

walkingdollhouse

8 Years Ago

yeah, i agree! that was the one part i was unsure about, because of the shift in tone. finishing ano.. read more



Reviews

I enjoyed this and wanted to know more.
There is a nice atmosphere of foreboding and dread.
However the atmosphere is punctured in a couple of places with 'ill judged word use'. I'm not sure the thoughts were 'silly'. I think you need to find something a bit darker to maintain the darkness and foreboding.
But having said that keep on going, this is good.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

walkingdollhouse

8 Years Ago

yeah, i agree! that was the one part i was unsure about, because of the shift in tone. finishing ano.. read more
I really enjoyed this piece and I do believe you can make it into a really good short story if you used more literary tools like you said. =D
I, myself, really never liked writing stories till I took a class on Creative Nonfiction and I fell in love with the idea of writing true stories with fictional tools and many others. There are no real rules when writing in this style. Put aside the fact that the stories have to be true...
Keep writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

walkingdollhouse

8 Years Ago

thanks for the review! will take into consideration your points and keep writing it :)
It's pretty good, but I think it could be better. It's your baby, so look it over and see if you can smooth out some of the wording. "madmen"--should be "madman".

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

walkingdollhouse

8 Years Ago

Thanks alot, and will do so!
Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

I should've said more. This being your first time to write fiction, I'd say you're way ahead of the .. read more
walkingdollhouse

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, that would be really helpful. I will contact you when I finish writing it

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 8, 2015
Last Updated on June 12, 2015
Tags: prostitution, trafficking, fiction/memoir

Author

walkingdollhouse
walkingdollhouse

Amsterdam/London



About
Current MA student in American Studies. A Londoner residing in Amsterdam. Interested in writing, popular culture, comedy, film and literature. Feedback and criticism appreciated! more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..