Reflection of truth

Reflection of truth

A Poem by saoirse
"

A poetic description of mental health issues , portraying the daily struggles and mindset from a personal point of view.

"
Sometimes we all lose track of our minds, our abilities , our strengths.
It's like having a tormentor , who's constantly glued to your every move, they are not a friend , but a good escape from the reality your scared to face.
Sometimes,
Stopping, Standing , Staring around at the society we live in,
When you have your black cloud weighing heavily down on your shoulders,
Can make the next step , engaging with the world that one push harder to accomplish .
Depression isn't a sign for weakness or an act of attention. Ironically it's attention they need in their desperate state.
Although sadly it's usually the opposite that happens, 
It's kept a secret , until that moment ,the moment were you realise that the darkness building inside you finally starts to seep through your emotionally fragile cracks .
 Your secret is out.
Your bed becomes your best friend.
Solitude becomes a regular companion.
You don't want anyone, but at the same time you don't want to feel the emptiness of being alone .
Your defence walls start to break down, you don't care any more.
Your legs feel like blocks of cement ,one step at a time seems like walking through quicksand .
Your throat becomes raw with the gasps for breaths in between crying episodes .Your eyes a swollen by the tears flooding down your blotched cheeks late at night.
Your self esteem chips slowly away, piece by piece , floating away into oblivion , impossible to grasp .
Sitting in complete darkness is more comforting than the agonising expectations of light.
Black storms cloud your mind and logic,
Your emotions rule you now,
They detest positive, 
Crave destruction,
Bad decisions contradict the outcomes ,
You want to be destroyed, utterly at the mercy of chance.
You feel like a monster , a mess, a ticking time bomb,waiting for that torturous final blast.
Depression isn't that different from a broken leg,
You can't run on a broken leg that isn't healed,
You can't win a fight with depression unless your in the process of healing yourself .
It's a silent battle.
Everyone has their own personal demons ,
It doesn't make it easier to accept or acknowledge ,
But a step to know your not alone in the world.
I have a story,
I'm sure you do , 
Own it . 

© 2015 saoirse


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I felt this. Every word. There is no thing worse than that incomprehensible feeling, your dark loud.
Sharing this harrowing, yet beautifully spoken piece, will help someone. I hope that is a help to you too.
Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 8 Years Ago


A very good poem describing the troubles and struggle of having depression and even battling with one's own inner dæmons. Really hit home.

A few small notes:
_______________________
First stanza: "but a good escape from the reality your scared to face." I think you meant to put "you're".
"shoulders, / Can make the next step " perhaps add a "it" on either side of the '/' mark (it would work either way).
Half-way through: "Your eyes a swollen " methinks you meant to put "are" rather than "a".
"Your self esteem chips slowly away" maybe switch the works "away" and "slowly", I feel like it would flow better.
"You can't win a fight with depression unless your in the process" just another "you're" mistake.
I notice at times your spacing around commas and the occasional period are a little off.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 30, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015
Tags: descriptive, poetic, article, expression

Author

saoirse
saoirse

Dublin, Ireland, Ireland



About
Hi. Im saoirse. Im 17. Just anti social teen . Writing junkie To escape reality. Geek and self confessed hippie. nature . Darkness. Ranter. Please read. more..

Writing
Consumed Consumed

A Poem by saoirse


The walk The walk

A Story by saoirse



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..