The Golden Claw

The Golden Claw

A Chapter by warwithpaper

The most naturally talented warriors in Tamriel, the dark skinned, wiry haired Redguards of Hammerfell seem born to battle, though their pride and fierce independence of spirit makes them more suitable as scouts or skirmishers, or as free ranging heroes and adventurers, than as rank and file soldiers. In addition to their cultural affinities for many weapon and armor styles, Redguards are also blessed with hardy constitutions and quickness of foot.

 

Natives of the civilized, cosmopolitan province of Cyrodiil, the Imperials are well-educated, and well-spoken. Imperials are also known for the discipline, and training of their citizen armies. With this, the Imperials have dominated Tamriel for more then 2000 years.

 

 

 

 

  Firir is the name of the Redguard that had came across me during my time in the Reach, for all my gold, he promised to take me to Riverwood. I learned about Firir in those couple days. He was born in Hammerfell in the port city of Rihad, under a merchant and his wife. He told me about when he was of age; he joined the Alik’r, but left after two years after seeing the innocence that they take away from people. Firir had come to Skyrim to get away from them, and his life before. The story sounds like mine, but with so much difference, he told me he didn’t hate me personally, but my kind. Imperials made his life hard as a child, taking all that he and his family had. The Alik’r promised to take it back from the Imperials, but he only saw them take away from anyone�"not the more fortunate that took away from him.

 

  I, in turn, told him of me. That I was born to the Captain of the Guard, and to a Mage. They raised me to be a soldier like them for the Imperial army in the Imperial City. How I wanted none of that, but to live my own life. How I resented my parents for not loving me, but for selling me to be a future Imperial b*****d. I escaped when I was of age and now here, in Skyrim�"half dead from being careless�"but, in Skyrim.

 

  I threw away what I had received from the Forsworn, not wanting anything to do with them. Firir, in turn, gave me some fur “armor”, gloves, and some Imperial boots�"with an iron mace in case anything happened. He wore the same “armor”, with more fur stuff, of course�"his weapon being a battleaxe. The battleaxe was all black, with a blade coming out from one spot, but reaching down a quarter of the axe�"on the opposite side was one point reaching outwards for any back hits. He explained that he found it in an old tomb somewhere in Skyrim�"smiths and weapons experts told him it would what Ancient Nords used back before the Dragon Wars.

 

  A few days passed, and Firir had gotten me to Riverwood, and I kept up my side of the bargain. All the gold I had, and he left.

 

  By the village was a river that I went to refresh myself with. I watched my reflection in the water, my long black hair around my face�"along side my beard that covered the entire bottom part and reaching down that I had tied up�"three slash marks on my left cheek that must have been from the Forsworn incident. Above my red tattoo going on top of my eye and up down it like a double-hilted blade. I got myself ready, and asked around if anyone knew where Hadvar would be. The answers led me to the Blacksmiths house�"and by luck, or I’m too easy to figure out, they were expecting me any day now. They gave me a bed to rest on before anything else was decided. These people took care of me for a day, they could tell�"I went through Oblivion before today.

 

  Hadvar had waited until I got there so he could explain to them about what happened at Helgen, the Dragon�"everything. The Blacksmith was named Alvor, and wife Sigrid, they prepared food for us to listen to the tale.

 

  Alvor sighed over his food and look towards the two of us, studying our faces and demeanor, “Now, then, boys. What’s this big mystery? What are you two doing here�"both of you got here looking like you lost argument with cave bears.”

 

  I laughed at his example, “I wish it was that simple, oh by the gods, do I.”

 

  Hadvar did the same sigh that Alvor did before, “I don’t know where to start, and with Caius, by the nine, I agree. Let’s start from the beginning�"do you remember when I had told I’d be serving with General Tullius?” He began the story. “We were stopped in Helgen when we were attacked… by a Dragon.”

 

  Alvor’s eyes opened wide in astonishment, we could read on his face the disbelief�"but even he had to put the pieces together, “A Dragon? Are you boys drunk?”

 

  Without hesitation I remarked, “Would love to be, got any mead?” Sigrid jumped to it and got me some, not realizing my joke of the matter; even so, I was grateful. “Thank you, so much.”

 

  She nodded and told Alvor to let us finish, and to stop accusing us of things. Hadvar and I laughed. “Not much more to tell, I’m afraid�"“ I started, “It came and wrecked everything, caused mass confusion all over. Few were lucky to survive.” Alvor’s eyes again could tell he believed every word, not that he wanted to, though.

 

  Hadvar smiled at me, and back at Alvor, “I wouldn’t have made it out alive, if not thanks for my friend here. He risked his life to save mine, though my guard was going to take his.” Hadvar said, trying to honor me, “I need to get back to Solitude, and let everyone know what happened. He needs equipment.”

 

  I shrugged. “Guilty as charged.”

 

  Hadvar’s mood jumped up, “Of course! Any friend of Hadvar is a friend of mine, Caius! I’m to glad to help any way I can, but I will need your help�"we will need your help.”

 

  I nodded in acceptance, “Any way I can, I will. Just let me know.”

 

  “The Jarl of Whiterun needs to know of this Dragon attack�"“he started, “Riverwood, and every other village is defenseless against any attack from that�"“he continued, “We need to get word to Jarl Balgruuf in Whiterun to send whatever help he can, if you do this, I’ll be in your debt, Caius.”

 

  “As I said before, anything to help�"when the sun rises, I will be on my way, by my word.”

 

  “Good, I thank you, for everything.”

 

  “As do I, to you.” I answered to his request and thanks. I made my way to bed, for my adventure tomorrow.

 

  The next morning, I make my way out after receiving a few coin from Alvor for my journey, I give him my proper thanks and make my way out. One of the houses on the way out of town, the Riverwood Trader, I hear commotion inside�"worried that a thief may be the cause, I go in to look to see the store owner arguing with what appears to be his younger sister.

 

  “I said no!” the store owner declares loud enough for the entire town to hear.

 

  “Someone has to do something!” his sister snaps back in a fit of anger.

 

  “I said no, no thief-chasing theatrical adventures over that thing!”

 

  “Well, what are you going to do, then? Huh? Let’s hear it?”

 

  The owner looks a little angrier at her, trying to keep it bottled so he won’t explode at his own sister, “We are done talking about this!” he snaps, ignoring her question. “Oh, a customer is here. I’m so sorry you had to hear this.” He said as he looked over at me, finally realizing my presence, “I don’t what you heard, but the Riverwood Trader is still open for business!”

 

  In anger, his sister storms up the stairs to her room, trying to get away without actually leaving. “I hope you don’t mind me asking�"“I begin, “But did something happen? I could help you, if you need it.”

 

  He looks down, in a pit of sadness, “Uh… Yeah. We did kind of have a�"“he begun to explain the argument, “break-in, but we still have plenty to sell. Robber only came after one thing, I’ve noticed.”

 

  “And that one thing would be?” I questioned.

 

  “An ornament, sold gold ornament. In the shape of a Dragon’s Claw. An heirloom, for say.” He said quietly, with sadness in his voice.

 

  “From the looks of both you, and the young woman, you want it back. I can get it back for you, if you really want it.” I offer, hoping to get some recognition or something.

 

  “You could?! That’d be great! I have some coin coming in from my last shipment! It’s all yours, just please, get the claw back?” He asked sincerely, almost pleading for my help now. I agreed and he continued to tell me where the thieves would be, an area the town named “Bleaks Fall Barrow”, up north of the town. An old shrine used by the Ancient Nords during the Dragon Wars. I left, promising to return.

 

  As I left, I heard the sister asking her brother if that was the whole plan, only hiring help. I made my way out of town, with the eyes of the girl and store owner on my back, their prayers to the nine for my return. From out-skirts of town, there was two paths�"one leading to Whiterun, and the other, leading to the Barrow. The path was littered with wolves feeding, if either the girl or man went, they would’ve been torn alive by them. Each came at me, and fell to me, as I bashed each one with my mace from Firir.

 

  As I got over the hill, I could see it�"Bleaks Fall Barrow. The area was huge, steps leading up to the entrance with columns and archways streaming over top of it. From the distance, I could make out thieves posting out front so no adventurers or guards could bother the leaders inside. The closer I got to it, the colder it got, snow even started to cover the ground�"this was southern Skyrim, and snow still littered the area in patches. Once I was there, I was covered by a harsh blizzard, hard to even see in front of me�"but, I kept on.

 

  It didn’t take long for the bandits to spot, two archers and a man with a war hammer and axe on his back. The man with the hammer charged me, and after a few swings at me, I clubbed him down with my mace�"grabbing his axe in the process (leaving the mace, as well, not very fond of blunt weapons) I charged at the first archer, breaking through his bow and slamming the blade into his face. The second archer fired his arrow, landing on hit on me�"unlucky for him, it didn’t go all the way through the fur. I quickly faced him, and shot a bolt of ice at him, freezing him solid. The now-iced archer stood by a small raise, which I then pushed him off of�"the collision with the ground shattered him to no more.

 

  I went to the first bandit that had rushed me, and switched armor with him. The armor he wore was a sleeveless branded armor, iron boots, and an iron helm that horns sticking out the sides curving to the front. It may not be warmer, but it certainly will protect me better, of course.

 

  I approached the door of the Temple, the height of it towered over me, the design on the door looked as if two dragon’s necks were curving out�"facing opposite ways. I opened the door, and began my search for the Golden Claw.

 

  Not even five steps in, and more bandits attack. Two of them this time-- one with an iron long sword, the other with a mace. The first with the sword rushes, doing sloppy slashes�"as if he could barely hold the sword in mid-swing. After one swipe down, I stepped on the blade so he couldn’t raise back up, and quickly swung my axe across his neck, beheading him. The second guard trembled; he must’ve been a sideline kind of guy, not prepared for someone who had skill.

 

  “Get…Get out!” he choked up, trying to intimidate me with a stutter. Before he could react, I rushed him, swinging the axe downward into his head. His eyes looked up at the new placement inside his head, and he fell�"dead.

 

  The path they protected led down into the temple�"it was covered in webs. I swear by the nine, if giant spiders are here, I am going to flip. I tried to be quiet as I made my way down, fearing what may be lurking around. Through multiple hallways, multiple dead ends�"I finally came to the right path leading out somewhere. From a distance I see a man standing in front of a gate�"about to pull a switch (to open it, I assume). I try to keep silent so he won’t undo whatever he did, if I can get through with, take it he actually gets it open, than score one for me. He puts his hand around the lever, and with all his might, pulls his towards himself. In the same second he lets go of the lever, thousands of darts shoot out from the ceiling, floor, and walls�"covering him in them, and blood. Whatever he did �" was wrong and he paid it with his life. I walked forward, and examined his body�"there was a poison on the darts as well, he would have never of survived. I take his sword, and continue to examine the rest of the room.

 

  Up top there sits two faces, maybe three but the third has been destroyed. The face on the left has a picture of a snake in its mouth, while the right one has a picture of a whale in its mouth. By the lever, another picture in the rocks�"another snake. To the left of me sits three three-sided pillars, able to be rotated. I guess the ole Nords had a puzzle for anyone to visit. The previous bandit must’ve tried “Eagle, Whale, Eagle” since that’s what is there. I go over and change the first two to Snake, and the final one to Whale. I wrapped my hand around the lever, prepared to push forward�"I was scared. By the Nine, I hope I’m right. As it hit the other side, the gate in front of me rose�"allowing me to move on. I take the bandits body to the side, allowing a little peace for his passing.

 

  In the next room sat a winding wooden staircase leading further down, on it was three Skeevers. A Skeever is a rat-like creature, much bigger in size than one, which will usually lurk in Dungeons, Caves, and such trying to get its next meal. They are filled with diseases, and will attack everything that moves�"which, in this case, means me. Each rush me, and I slash down each one that tries as I adventure further down. The room it leads to was covered in nothing but webs�"I don’t like where this is going. A tunnel leading even further down with someone yelling further in.

 

  I can’t tell exactly what he is saying, but it sounds like he is looking for someone, or wondering if someone is there. I try to tip toe forward, in case he may be hostile towards me. The further in I go, I make out something he says�"“I know I did wrong, but I need help.” Is what it sounds like he said? The room it sounds like it’s coming from has a thick web blocking the entrance�"I’m shaking. I take my sword and slash through to find a man stuck in a door way with webbing all around him�"he was a meal. In between him and me from the ceiling falls a spider�"bigger than the ones in the tunnel from Helgen. This one could be all three plus more, and it had its eyes on me. It shot a webbing forward that I shot a Firebolt through. I was trembling�"why did it have to be spiders? It jumped forward, and I ran forward and slid under it yelling: “You won’t take me, you ugly B*****d!”

 

  I kept dodging as much as I could away from this beast, but it was all in vein. The spider had cornered me�"with anger and hunger in its eyes�"I was going to die. It stepped forward towards me, and I turned my head closing my eyes. When I reopened them to look and see why I was still breathing�"the spider was dead.

 

  “Are you really that much of wuss?” asked Firir on top of the spider, his axe far into the head of it.

 

  “Only to spiders, only to spiders.” I answer with a smile, happy to see him. “What are you doing here? Did you follow me?”

 

  “Do you really think I don’t have anything better to do?” he answered back with annoyance.

 

  “Basically.”

 

  “You little�"No, I was already here when I heard some screams from a little Imperial girl, and that’s when I found you.”

 

 “Good come back, I applaud.” I clap my hands, humoring him.

 

  “That’s all fine and dandy, but can someone please release me?” asked the man, wanting to get down from his webbings. Curious to whom he was; I walk over to him, while Firir retrieves his axe and looks around the room for anything to take.

 

  “Who are you?” I ask, giving him the choice to answer that or stay in the web.

 

  “I’m Arvel the Swift, the leader of the bandits here. I was looking for the treasure here when that spider tried to make me dinner!” answered the man in fear of being left, “Please, hurry, get me down!”

 

  I release him from his bindings, and he falls flat onto his face. “Happy?” I asked, waiting for him to get up. I hear a faint laugh coming from him, as he tries to leap forward at me�"dagger in hand. As he does, another dagger flies by my head and into his face�"impaling him.

 

  “You really need to be more careful.” Firir pointed out, “He’s a bandit, should’ve killed him right away, they can never be trusted.”

 

  “Thanks, I think. I’ll keep it in mind.” I answer, as I search through Arvel to find just what I came for�"the Golden Claw.

 

  “What is that thing? Can I sell it?” asked Firir as he gawked over the gold of it.

 

  “No, I promised a small store I returned it, but we can split the gold he promised.” I answer back, prepared to fight if he comes to a disagreement.

 

  “Fine, but that claw it looks…familiar. Can we go a little further in; I think I know why he may have had it here.” Firir asked, with a look of curiosity on his face. I agreed, and we went down into the temple further.

 

  We come to a room of bodies that by the look of it�"have been here for hundreds of years. We both look around before moving on�"as we search through every urn in the room, a groaning is heard.

 

  “Please say you were helping yourself out.” I plead to Firir, hoping he was just being dirty.

 

  “Sorry to break it to you, the dead is not dead.” He answers back, drawing his axe. Three bodies are getting up�"facing us with weapons drawn.

  “What in the Oblivion?” I ask, hoping for an answer.

 

  “They’re called Draugr. Ancient Nord Embalming(s) that in death vowed to protect their temples.”

 

  “It can never be something cute, and cuddlely, can it?”

 

  The Draugr rush forward with impressive speed, slashing at the both of us. Firir with one clean swing splits one to two�"leaving me with the other two. I blocked the first attack, and use a Destruction: Shock blasting a lightning bolt clean through it. The second one I charge at, knocking its sword out of its hand, and with a swing of my blade, taking its head off with it.

 

  “We need to be more hesitant, and careful.” Firir warned, knowing the trouble Draugr can cause from previous encounters. We make our way further in, and follow a stream down with no more interruption from Draugr. The room we are lead to is a big iron door, with three interchangeable symbols�"being “Moth, Owl, and Bear” and in the center a claw mark�"which must be what the Golden Claw was for. We try multiple arrangements, and every time darts shoot out that just barely miss us.

 

  “What can it be?” Firir questions as I eye down the claw. I notice the underline of the claw, three small pictures in the same order as the door�"“Firir, put in top Bear, middle Moth, and bottom Owl.” I ask.

 

  Firir doesn’t question me, and does it. As he finishes, I place the claw inside and turn it. The three panels turn to Owl and the door lowers�"opening to the next room.

 

  The room is huge�"a giant panel wall at the back, and burial tomb in front. We, of course, look for some treasure. I approach the back wall, these letters glowing and speaking to me, “What the�"“I mutter allowed. Firir turns to me, wondering what I did now. He sees the letter glow, and some kind of aura blowing at me. My eyes go dark for a second and it all just stops.

 

  “What did you just--?” starts Firir.

 

  I interrupt, “I don’t even know, but I can understand what this wall says.”

 

  “That’s impossible. It’s an old dead language. Not even scholars understand it.” Firir answers in disbelief.

 

  “HET NOK FaaL VahLOK DeiNMaaR DO DOVahGOLZ ahRK aaN FUS DO UNSLaaD RahGOL ahRK VULOM. Here lies the Guardian, Keeper of the Dragonstone, And a force of unending rage and darkness.” I read aloud from the wall.

 

  “No way�"it might be dragon tongue, but how can you read it?” asked Firir, still in disbelief.   

 

  “I don’t know.” I answer, in disbelief of myself, “It just… spoke to me.”

 

  “Uh, I don’t even�"let’s just get out of here, okay?”

 

  “Yeah, let’s.”

 

  We turn to take whatever we can, when the tombs top flies off and a Draugr gets out.

 

  “It’s an Overlord!” yelled Firir, the fear in his voice. The Draugr stares at me, and only me. Firir rushes at it with his axe and swings, the Draugr avoids without trouble and let’s go a loud scream sending Firir flying into the wall, knocking him out.

 

  The Draugr turns its attention back onto me, observing me. I ready my sword for it, ready for whenever it strikes. Its lungs inflate again, ready for another scream. I move out the way, the blast blowing into the wall. Dust flying out; I rush into the Draugr�"impaling it with my sword, knocking it down the stairs with me. At the bottom, I try to get back up and catch my breath. The Draugr is trying to get my sword out of itself. I step on its face, and rip the sword from the side, ancient blood flying out�"the Draugr stops moving. On the chest of the Overlord sits a stone of some kind, with what appears to be drawings of Dragons all around it. Maybe this will help tell the Jarl about what’s been going with the Dragons? I rip it off its chest, and put inside a sack on my side. I rummage through leftover items, and remember�"Firir!

 

  After the blow to the wall, Firir is still out cold. I can’t take him all the way back through, that’d be way too difficult, especially if leftover Draugr come out. What am I going to do? I look around the walls for maybe a secret exit or something when I come to find a small switch made to look like a pedestal. I pull the lever and turn, releasing a false rock to the side of it that lowers to a hallway leading outside.

 

  Well, that’s convenient. I make camp outside, on the side of the mountain and take rest for the night. The next day with an awoken Firir, we revisit Riverwood to go see the shop again. The store owner thankful to see my return, and especially to the return of his claw, thanks me multiple times and give me four hundred gold that gets split with Firir.

 

  “We were a good team, do you want to maybe stick around a bit, it’d be good to have some company?” I ask Firir, hoping he’d say yes to join me.

 

  He smiled and agreed, “It’ll be good to finally have someone watch my back. Thanks, by the way.”

 

  That afternoon, the twelfth of Sun’s Dawn, we made our way to Whiterun, to get there before the storm. 



© 2012 warwithpaper


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I always play as a Female Imperial. I believe they are definitely the dominant race in Skyrim :) Redguards are nice :) Nice Chapter by the way! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
1 Review
Added on July 29, 2012
Last Updated on July 29, 2012
Tags: Skryim, Fan Fiction, Story, Original


Author

warwithpaper
warwithpaper

Kingsville, MD



About
Every bit that I could write could fill a book in it's own place-- if you're really interested in knowing me-- contact me. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by warwithpaper