Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Torrey

My eyes strained as I tried to peer into the endless darkness that surrounded me. My heart pounded in my chest, breaking the eerie silence. Every step I took sounded like a cannon going off in the silent dark, but I kept walking, trying to listen over my incessant heart beats. I could feel the adrenaline run through my veins, causing me to shake, or maybe I was afraid, but that was something I would never ever admit too.

 

I had an interesting hobby, if you wanted to call it that. My family is from a long line of vampire slayers, which sounds really badass and incredibly cheesy, but its what we are. My dad's the leader of this family, the head slayer, making me the future leader, even though I really don't want to be. It's not like I have a choice though. I actually really suck at vampire slaying and to tell you the truth, I've never even killed a vampire. I've hurt a couple but never actually killed any. I don't know why I can't, it's just incredibly hard for me to do. They were people once, well most of them, some were born vampires...but, still, I can't do it, they're still people, kinda, they're just...different. A girl has never been the leader of a vampire slayer group, so my Dad's now pressuring me to get married as soon as possible. They want me to get married to some amazing vampire slayer from another group, so that we can be lead by some phenomenal vampire killer who is completely committed to our duty. Aka, a concited a*s who thinks he's better than everyone else. Ugh. I'm only 18. I'm not ready for a husband and I really don't want one at the moment.

 

There was a sound behind me and I instantly froze. We were on a "job". We had received an anonymous tip that there was an abandoned building on the outskirts of Los Angeles with a coven of vampires living and feeding there. As soon as my Dad had heard about it we were on the move. It's our duty to exterminate vampires, without revealing that vampire's actually exist.

 

We've been having some problems with a huge coven of vampires that has just recently come to California, near where we live. We've been running into them lately, and they are really becoming a huge problem. They're constantly killing people in the area, bringing way to much unwanted attention. It was decided a long time ago that vampires should stay a secret. It would cause panic throughout the human population if people found out that the thing they thought fictional for so long actually existed. Most vampires agree with the idea of staying hidden and obey certain laws but lately the coven in the area have been going against almost all of those laws. It was rumored that the coven is actually led by a pureblood, the strongest type of vampire in existance, the type where if they bite you, you're changed into a vampire. They're the only type of vampire that can change you and a said to be direct desendents of the first vampires. The Originals. That probably explains why so many newborn vampires have been appearing, causing more problems. The pureblood.

 

Newborn vampires have the least control and will completely lose themselves to blood lust, killing every person they come across, forgetting who they are and who they care about, which can cause many many problems in a very populated city like LA.

My dad really wants to get rid of the coven, they've been here for about six months, making us look increasingly bad. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find the leader, the pureblood. My dad hopes to find and kill the head vampire tonight.

I took a deep breath, the noise was getting closer and closer. I slowly grabbed for my gun out of my pocket. I hated the coldness of the handle, I really just hated the whole thing all together.

 

I spun around pointing the gun blindly into the darkness. A small flashlight went on and Connor was standing there, looking more scared than I was, "Jesus Christ Abigail. What the hell are you doing?"

 

I instantly put the gun down and sighed in relief, "I thought you were a vampire. Jesus. Why in the hell are you sneaking up on me like that?"

 

He smiled, "I didn't mean to scare you. You're dad wanted me to come and make sure that you're alright. You got separated from the group. Again."

 

"Yeah. I noticed that," I murmered, "This place is like a freaking maze. It's super easy to get lost in here."

 

"Exactly." Connor smiled, "Which means it would be a great place for the pureblood to be hiding."

 

I could never understand Connor's love for hunting vampires. We were related somehow, in our impressive family tree of vampire slayers but I was never able to understand his excitement. He was a year or so younger than me but he was much better at vampire slaying.

 

"Did anyone find the coven of vampires yet?" I asked, worrying about my dad.

"Nope. Not a huge group but they have ran into a couple other vampires that were alone." His grin widened. Why is he so happy? "Have you ran into any vamps?" He questioned even though he already knew the answer.

 

"Nope. Zero."

 

"They're probably not even hanging out in this side of building, since you haven't seen any yet. They're all probably on the other side, so I think we should probably go back. That's where your dad and the rest are heading." he said, silently contemplating, his shaggy brown hair getting in his deep green eyes. We really looked nothing alike. At all. The building was a long oval shape, with many floors. All the other vampire slayers were on the North side, and I was on the South. Damn. I have a horrible sense of direction. I felt incredibly stupid for going the wrong way.

 

"Why wouldn't they be on this side?" I asked, trying to make it sound like I was purposely going this way.

 

"Well, you haven't ran into any vampires and there really isn't much more of the Southern building left from here. It ends right up there." He said, pointing. "We've ran into vamps on the other side, so they've probably all congregated on the other side." he smiled smugly.

 

I glared at him, "Ugh. Fine."

 

I replaced the regular bullets in my gun with bullets filled with cannatopie, a poison that was seriously deadly to vampires. I felt like I needed it for some reason. When a vampire is shot with these type of bullets the poison spreads through their system, which will slowly kill them in a matter of days. The poison is curable but you need a special antidote which only slayers possess. I put my gun back into my pocket and sighed. Connor didn't seem to notice. He was too excited for the upcoming fight.

 

"You know Connor," I said, "No one has ever even seen the pureblood, there might not be one."

 

"Yeah, I know that, but there's so many newborns around lately..."

 

"Well, yeah, but don't you think we would have seen it by now? Purebloods are supposed to be impossibly strong, so why in the hell would it be hiding? I guess I just don't understand."

 

He shrugged, "I don't know. But, come on, we're going to miss all the fighting and that's the best part!"

 

I rolled my eyes.

 

All of the sudden the most horrible sound I've ever heard screeched out from down the hallway, causing Connor and I to have mini heart attacks. The noise hurt our ears really bad and was incredibly loud. It almost sounded like screaming... It had come from the way I had been walking toward before Connor showed up, South.

 

The screaming stopped and Connor and I glanced at each other still looking around warily, the fear showing on both our faces. Connor pointed the flashlight down the hallway but nothing was there. Debris was scattered everywhere and graffiti covered the walls but that was pretty much it. The hallway was really long so the dinky flashlight only lit up part of it and the rest was pitch black.

 

"Maybe there's something down the hall further," Connor said, his voice unsteady, "Should we go find out?"

 

We walked slowly, quietly. We eventually came to pool of red spread across the floor.

"Is that what I think it is?" I whispered.

 

It was so dark so it was hard to tell and the stupid flashlight was dimming, it eventually flickered and shut off altogether. We were left in the pitch black.

 

"Connor, are you f*****g serious?" I said, pissed off and scared at the same time.

"I--I guess I forgot to put new batteries in. Don't you have a flashlight?" He asked desperately.

 

I checked my pockets frantically. "S**t, I forgot mine.." I was seriously going to cry. This is like one of those really bad horror movies..

 

There was another noise down the hallway, the sound of walking. My heart pretty much leaped out of my throat. Oh my good god. We are going to die. Connor went completely silent. Rare for him, actually. Then I heard him cuss a couple times and hit something, then the flashlight turned on. He was shaking it, trying to keep it working. The dim light shone on the body of a vampire. Was that what was screaming?

 

Connor walked slowly over to it and looked at its face. It was covered in blood.

"It's a newborn vampire." Connor said, his voice was shaky.

 

He shined the light ahead of us and you could see the faint outline of something. My heart beat started to accelerate. The thing moved, as if getting ready to attack and then there was another god awful noise, not as bad as the first, but it was actually somewhat recognizable. It was the sound of a incredibly pissed off, blood thirsty, newborn vampire. It didn't come from the siloutte in front of us though, it came from directly behind us. I whipped myself around as fast as I could and found myself staring into the blood red eyes of a newborn vampire. A woman.

 

The flashlight gave off just enough light for me to see her. The awful screeching noise came from her dry, pale lips. Newborns were usually surprizingly strong. Connor was frozen in place, not sure what to do. I reached for my gun as fast as I could but it was no use. The woman hit my stomach, flinging me backward, into the dark hallway, I tried to scream but there was no air left in my lungs. I hit the wall and slid to the ground. Hard. I attempted to get up but she was way too fast. On instinct, she instantly grabbed my arm and bit into my wrist, gulping down as much of my blood as she possibly could. It hurt like a b***h. Newborn vampires, luckily for me, don't have the venom to transform a human into a vampire. Thank God. I tried to twist away but she had an strong grip on my arm.

The flashlight went out again, sinking us into darkness.

 

Something grabbed onto her and for a second I thought it was Connor but I then remembered he had been holding the light, which had been really far away a few seconds ago.

 

She grabbed onto my shoulder, digging her nails into my skin. I managed to scream this time, loud and clear. It hurt like hell. She tightened her grip and I was fairly sure my arm was going to break. She let go of my wrist with her fangs and screamed, the horrible sound echoing throughout the hallway. Something pulled her off of me and there was a horrible cracking sound. Then silence.

 

I sat there against the wall, holding completely still. My arm and shoulder both gushing blood, which was never a good thing when you were hunting vamps, especially when you're a woman. For some reason, a female's blood tastes better to a vampire than a male's.

 

I stared into the darkness, trying to make out shapes, but it was no use, it was so dark.

I heard a low laugh from across the hall, "It seems like your friend left you. How nice of him."

 

It was a male's voice. His voice was smooth and hypnotic. I started to panic, my heart beating faster than it already was.

 

"He...uh..He left?" My voice cracked, making me sound really pathetic.

He laughed even louder, "Yep, ran like a bat out of hell."

 

I sat there for a moment. Ridiculous tears running down my face, "Aren't you going to kill me or something?"

 

It was quiet for a moment and then he answered, "I don't think so." He paused. "No, not yet."

 

I could hear the grin in his voice, which bothered the hell out of me, "Why?"

He chose not to answer, instead he grabbed my foot and pulled me away from the wall I was slumped against. He felt me up and down and then grabbed the gun out of my pocket and all of the other small weapons I had strapped on me. I assumed he put it all in his pocket. He made sure everything I could have used as a weapon was off of me and then picked me up by the waist, flipping me around so I was cradled in his arms.

 

I briefly considered hitting him but then decided it would most likely be useless. He continued to hold me bridal style and I could feel him licking the blood dripping down my arm. He didn't lick anywhere near where she had bit though, which I thought was weird.

He began to walk swiftly down the hallway and I heard a door open and then another and then another. He carried me down a flight of stairs and into another hallway. This place really was just like a maze. At the end of the hallway, I could see light coming from underneath a door. My mysterious, blood thirsty rescuer walked over to the doorway. He reached down, turned the doorknob and opened the door.

 

The light was freaking blinding. It was so bright after being in the dark for so long. The guy that was holding me dropped me hard and I landed on the cold floor. I tried to jump up and run for the door but the annoying asshat who had carried me in pushed me back down, making me collide with the floor. Someone closed the door and locked it. Dread filled my stomach.

 

"I'm just curious princess but what were you planning on doing after you got out of the door?" He smirked. Now, I could see his face. My mouth fell open. I had definately never seen him before. He was probably the sexiest guy on the face of the planet. Hell, probably the entire universe. Kind of cliche for vampires. He looked like he was in his early twenties or late teens. His messy, long black hair was in his eyes, making the deep red color of his eyes shine. His face was angular and seemingly perfect. His eyes showed he was amused. He was tall with a muscular build and had on regular old jeans with a tight black t-shirt, which looked good except for the blood spattered on it. He was pale but not a really sickly pale like most other vampires. He checked me out as I checked him out. I instantly felt self conscience. My dark auburn hair was probably a mess and my clothes were now covered in blood.

 

"Where in the hell did you find her?" I looked over to see a guy with brown hair, his arms were crossed and a smile played on the edges of his lips. I recongnized him, I'd definately seen him before so this must be the coven that had been hanging around.

The sexy guy answered, "She was sitting in the hall by herself. It was really quite pathetic. I took pity on her."

 

"I wasn't by myself!" I snapped.

 

He smiled, he knew he was bothering me and was thoroughly enjoying it, "She's right. There was another slayer but he ran." The group of vampires erupted in laughter but I didn't really think it was that funny. There was about twenty vampires in the room, none of them were newborns but none seemed to be purebloods either, except maybe the hot guy.

 

I stared at the guy with the messy black hair. He did seem to be the leader here. Does that means he's the pureblood? Is that why he didn't directly lick where the woman bit me? So that the venom that changes you wouldn't get into my bloodstream? I had never really seen a pureblood before so I wasn't sure, but he did seem really different from all the others.

 

He noticed I was staring at him, "What's the matter, princess?"

 

"Don't call me that!" I grumbled, glaring at him. Everyone went silent.

 

He smirked, "Sorry, princess."

 

He was really trying to piss me off and boy it was working. I glared at him but he just smiled smugly back. I wanted to slap that smug smile off his face but I knew if I tried I would be dead in a matter a seconds.

 

"What attacked her?" one of the vampires asked. A blonde.

 

His smile faded quickly, "Take a wild guess. Yep. Another f*****g newborn."

 

I was pretty shocked, "I thought you were the one making all the newborns."

 

He stared back at me, anger evident in his red eyes, "Why the f**k would I want to make newborn vampires?"

 

I thought for a second, "I don't know....to take over the world..?"

 

Everyone burst out laughing and I instantly blushed, "No princess. Newborns are nothing more than a piece of s**t. They're f*****g useless. They're at the bottom of the vampire world, everyone usually hates them."

 

"But you are a pureblood, right?"

 

"Yeah." he said and I felt the panic surge through me.

 

"Why haven't you killed me yet then? I'm the head vampire slayer's daughter," I could feel tears start to form in my eyes, "I'm the next generation of vampire hunters, don't you want me dead? Don't you want the satisfaction of killing me yourself?"

 

He stared at me for a second, "Yes, I do want you dead but I don't think I'll kill you yet. I promise I won't make you suffer when I do kill you though," he smiled, as if he liked the idea of killing me, "I know you're the f*****g a******s kid."

 

I opened my mouth to insult him somehow but there was a low sound that came from the door. I then realized why he had brought me here in the first place.

 

"I'm bait, aren't I? I'm f*****g bait." I said in a whisper but I knew they could all hear me.

 

The pureblood smirked, "You didn't think I was going to leave your dear old dad alive, did you? Ha, I knew there was no way in hell he would leave you here."

 

"You're going to try to kill him, aren't you?"

 

"Yes."

 

I leaped toward the pureblood pathetically trying to attack him. I knew it was a stupid idea, but I did it anyway. God, I hated him so much. As soon as I was near him he grabbed my wrist and twisted it behind my back. Hard. Needless to say, it hurt like a b***h but I wasn't going to scream. I refused. He grabbed my other arm and held it really close to my side. I could hear many footsteps coming up the stairs. S**t S**t S**t.

 

"Don't make this hard, princess." he whispered into my ear, his breath was warm and I felt the desire to lean into him and just give up. F*****g vampire. Everything about them makes you want them and then once you get too close, boom. You're dead.

 

I tried to twist away from him but he was way too strong. He twisted my arm back even further, causing pain to shoot through my body. He wanted me to scream, he wanted to let everyone know that he had me in this room. He dragged me towards a door in the back of the room, opposite of the one we came in. He pulled my arm once more, harder this time, but I still refused to scream.

 

He smirked, seeing that I wasn't planning on doing what he wanted. All the vampires were staring at him. He leaned down slowly. I could feel his lips on my neck, his warm breath brushed my skin, I felt his tongue run along my skin slowly, looking for the vein, and that was when I completely lost it.

 

I screamed and screamed and screamed.

 

He smiled as Antonio, my oldest cousin, and the biggest of the vampire slaying group, burst through the door. Vampire slayers entered the room with weapons drawn, including Connor and my dad The other vampires instantly started attacking them, relying on skill and instinct. They were swift and strong but the slayers were very well trained.

As soon as my dad made eye contact with me a pang of sadness and guilt went through me. What if he died because of me? If I had payed better attention and stuck with the grouo we probably wouldn't be in this mess at all. His gray eyes, the same color as mine, were filled with worry and anger. His brown hair, streaked with gray, was a mess, the worry lines on his face more pronounced in all the chaos.

 

The pureblood pulled me through then nearest door and up some stairs. He knew my dad had seen me. I tried to pull away from me but he had me in an iron grip. We reached the top of the stairs and entered a humongous room. There wasn't a light on but there was a giant window shedding moonlight into the room, filling it with a dull color.

 

The vampire pulled me across the room as my dad reached the top of the stairs.

 

"Don't dad!" I cried, " Just go! Please! Go away! He wants to kill you! Please dad! Run! Now!"

 

He simply ignored me and just stared at the pureblood who stared right back.

My dad yanked his gun out of his belt and the pureblood threw me to the side, lunging toward my dad. I hit the wall and I could feel a rib snap. I screamed into my arm. It really hurt. I could hear my dad and the pureblood fighting and I tried to sit up. I really wish I hadn't looked up. My dad was bleeding across his chest. My dad was an incredible vampire slayer but the pureblood was too fast and too strong. The vampire hit my dad's arm, causing his gun to fly across the room. He reached for another weapon but I knew the pureblood was too fast. I got up, using every bit of strength I could muster and jumped on his back, causing my rib to scream in protest.

 

He growled and flung me off. I hit the wall for the second time and more pain shot through my chest. There was a loud thud next to where I had fallen. My gun had fallen out of the purebloods pocket. I glanced back up at them and my dad had been able to grab a rather large knife from his belt, managing to rip the vampire's shirt a little.

My dad was incredibly weak. I could see it as they fought. There was no way he would last much longer. The pureblood hit his arm, hurling the knife away. I used the rest of my strength to get closer to the gun. I grabbed it and aimed. I pulled the trigger right as the pureblood was about kill my dad with his bare hands. The pureblood screamed in pain, not like a normal scream though, like the scream of a monster. He grabbed his side in pain and agony and fell back against the wall, he glared at me with intense hatred. I blinked.

 

I stared at him bewildered. It couldn't have hurt him that bad, it was just a bullet, but I then remembered that I had changed the bullets. The bullet I had hit him with had cannatopie poison in it. Oh my good god, I thought to myself, I just f*****g killed him. I started to feel guilty instantly.

 

My dad stood frozen in place, taking in what happened. He then ran over to me as I lay on the floor bleeding, "Abigail? Are you okay?" he said frantically. I fought back the urge to push him away.

 

I nodded my head, black spots were all over the room, dancing around, covering everything. I could see the pureblood stumble out of the room, through another door I hadn't noticed before.

 

The black spots began to get bigger and bigger, and then everything went black.



© 2012 Torrey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey, I thought this was a nice vamp slaying story. I like the character Connor the most, I think because he didn't act so cliche. Despite the exposition in the beginning, you have a good hand with dialogue and the back and forth between Connor and Abigail was amusing. However, when you introduce your pureblood, the story loses its focus. You describe how gorgeous he is yet he is a terrible person. I was glad that your main character shot him but regretting saving her father? Give me a break. The dialogue with the pureblood was a okay but Abigail regretted killing someone who belittled her, threatened her, and tried to kill her father? I'm sorry but your heroine loses credibility as she falls for an abusive a*****e. I can only hope things change; you have a good start here :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


"add to favorites"! Good job! I enjoyed the first chapter! Can't wait to read the second!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 16, 2012
Last Updated on July 16, 2012
Tags: vampire, love, lust, teen, blood, supernatural, young, adult, hate, romance, stake, posion


Author

Torrey
Torrey

About
I love writing and getting opinions on my stories. I'm a college freahman and I'm almost 18. I love music, anything from Green Day to One Direction. :) more..

Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Torrey