(100) A Flame Now Extinquished

(100) A Flame Now Extinquished

A Poem by Chris Smith Welshpoetcs

I can see the setting of the Sun
I watch a sky turning red
A romantic meal where candles burn
Poetry and beautiful words said

But then I look further at this World
There is a horror I wish I never saw
The terror I can see being hurled
The waste of life in a terrible war

Look at the young couples holding hands
Because now all I see is the colour black
Their love is one everybody understands
What of those young soldiers not coming back ?

Countless graves mark heroes who were not long, boys
Now they are gone, killed by a bomb or a gun
I shake my head at these lives now destroyed
Too many graves are here of men who were young

Show a salute for a man who once was a young lover
Who became a soldier to do what he believed to be right
Now these many young men lay buried next to each other
A flame now extinguished that once burned bright



copyright Chris Smith 2009

© 2011 Chris Smith Welshpoetcs


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beauty and Ugliness side by side here in our world. It is all here for the viewing and what we choose to see and feel are up to us. I choose to feel and see it all and try to be optimistic. We can lose ourselves in just beauty and lose touch with reality or we can lose ourselves in the ugliness of our world and lose sight of all beauty. This is where balance comes in.........A wonderful piece my sweet friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Death is a pain which can never be cured. So very sad and dark. But wonderfully written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


We are taught that it is duty, it is for the love our country. I know we must have armies to defend us, but do we really question how we chose to use our armies and are the lives who are bravely given, given for the best cause that we chose to waste them on. During these times of war we get to sit back and enjoy life like nothing is going on beyond our boarders. So goes the fight for "freedom" and yet we all know the wars are never about that.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
sad write - the plight of the soldier - giving lives for country - the bells of war and all that comes with it - very well expressed piece with a strong consistent rhyme too!! very nice!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, what a sad, yet beautiful poem.
Very nice writing for those who are in harms way and never make it back ..
I really like this and your spirit in this poem.

Chloe

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stunningly beautiful in a haunting kind of way... great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Our world and life is cruel by nature. Never ending wars cover our existence. Nothing more than mere animals that will never understand one another in this big game of life. This brought a tear to my eye my friend! A truthful reading.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sorry ; i had thoughts running and wasnt typing fast enough. I forgot to put in my opinion on the soldiers.
Im glad you picked this fact and these scenarios to portray the waste of life. The image i get is a couple drinking wine and eating salmon watching a sunset sky and the same couple separated by death. oh why cant it all just stop.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such an excellent concept. I love the way you use the first verse to show the lovely things in life and then pull no punches introducing us to the fact that its not all red wine and roses at all. It was excelllently done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And what a waste of life :( Another poignant write Chris, love! Tear inducingly so! xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a wonderful write chris. excellent.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

510 Views
38 Reviews
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 5, 2011
Last Updated on May 5, 2011
Tags: war

Author

Chris Smith Welshpoetcs
Chris Smith Welshpoetcs

Cardiff until 2004, then Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom



About
Started writing in 1997 after a horrible attack, I found it theraputic and wrote a range of poems and short horror stories. Started sharing on the Web firstly with Yahoo 360 in 2005, then sites on .. more..

Writing