Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by BriefAvenuePizza

Biting crisp winds caressed her arm.  It had already been three months since Frederick has came home.  He promised he would arrive by the month’s end but as each day grows dark, the promise grows bleak.  The wind sent a shiver down her back and her frail hands rubbed her belly, hopefully, he will make it before their child came.  Annamarie descended down the castle’s stone steps into her chambers and slept in wait of her child and husband.  


“Lady Annamarie!  Lady Annamarie!  Ms. Golen, she’s bleeding so much!” the young attendant was pale at the sight of her the crimson pool that held her master.  

“Hush Amelia!  Rush the queen into the birthing room and call the midwife!”

“Yes M’dam!”


Annamarie’s eyes fluttered open but she slipped in and out of consciousness.  The blinding castle lights made her eyes strain but she saw clearly.  Frederick was back just in time for the birth of their son and the baby was a healthy boy.  Their boy was the smartest, strongest prince the kingdom had ever seen and her and Frederick couldn’t be prouder.  Annamarie watched her son grow up and claim the throne.  He had fallen in love and suddenly she was a grandmother.  Her satin hands had grown old and wrinkled but they held Frederick’s tightly and the two were happier than they had ever been.  


“I see the head!”  Amelia was overwhelmed as she held the young queen in her arms.  
The midwife’s brow furrowed.  “I don’t think the queen will make it.” She shook her head in shame and let out a sigh.

“Don’t say such rubbish, King Frederick will have your head.  You must deliver Krona’s new crown prince.”


The cry of a baby broke the tension in the room.  The child’s head had already broken free but the weakened queen’s body couldn’t handle much more than that.  Amelia, Ms. Golen, and the midwife encouraged the young queen but things were starting to look bleak.


“You must push your majesty!”

“N-no, Frederick isn’t back yet, I ha-have to wait.”  Her words came in pants and beads of sweat rolled down her body.

“It’s now or never, you majesty!”

“N-no I- I can’t-AHH.”  The queen’s fingers dug into the covers as her body forced the child out.  The baby began to cry louder and the women smiled as they wrapped the child up.  Their smile dropped, the child was a girl.

“Your Majesty?”  Whatever energy that was left in the queen had left.  Forever.  The women slumped their shoulders and bowed their head in respect.  Amelia began to cry but behind her whimpers was a moment of silence for the queen.


A loud knock broke the silence and in came a maid.  “The King!! It’s a letter from the capital, King Frederick has died in bat-oh no…”  The maid fell to the floor at the sight of the queen’s body.


The midwife shook her head.  To have lost her mother and father, how cruel.  She held the child in her arms.  A girl too, how sad.


“I now present to you all Princess Veratrum.”
Ms. Golen stopped the midwife.  “No.  We can’t allow the kingdom of Krona to fall into other’s hands.  Veratrum cannot be a woman, she will have no rights to succeed to the throne.”

“But what can we do?  Sooner or later someone will find out Veratrum is a girl.”
“Amelia, you gave birth to a son just several nights ago right?”
“Why do you ask?”

“Does anyone know about your child yet?”

“I suppose not.  Since I was unsure if he would make it through his fits of coughs, I held back on the announcement.”
“Perfect.  We shall switch your child with Veratrum and betrothed them, that way Krona will still have its true ruler.”

“But-,”

“Amelia.  You are the queen’s lady-in-waiting.  She was there for you when Lord Kal died, it is time for you to give back to her.”
Amelia stopped.  She knew Ms.Golen was right, the queen had done so much for her.  

“Okay.  Please bring Lord Kai to me.”  The maid bowed and excused herself.  


The silence in the room was thick enough to fabricate into the material world.  Shortly after, the maid returned with the child.  


Amelia held her child.  She felt the tears brim at her eyes but she held it in.  She would not be where she was without the queen.  Ms.Golen kept her composure but the sorrow was hard to ignore, it's a terrible deed to separate a mother from her child but it had to be done for Krona.  The kingdom must continue to live.  Ms.Golen took Kai while Amelia cradled Veratrum before the two exited the queen’s chambers.  


“Gordo.”  A broad shouldered soldier appeared from those lined up outside the queen’s room.
“Yes, Ms.Golen?”

“Dispose of the midwife and the maid in the queen’s chambers.”  Amelia’s eyes widened.
“What-What are you doing?”

“Shut your mouth.”  Ms.Golen motioned for the soldier to leave and he hesitantly nodded before leaving to complete his duty.  

“We have to make sure this never gets out.  The less people that knows, the better.”
“But you’re killing innocent people!”
“The king and queen were good people too but they died.  This kingdom must continue to live Amelia, do not be so foolish.”

“Yes, Ms.Golen.”



© 2016 BriefAvenuePizza


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on March 6, 2016
Last Updated on March 6, 2016
Tags: love, death, victorian, royal