From the Wedding

From the Wedding

A Story by Willy Blake
"

A dad at his son's wedding....what's going on inside his head?

"

 

I could feel the sweat and sorrow, frustration pounding the kitchen table when bills could not be paid, when loved ones were gone, when best friends turned away, when she was in bed with another. Laying in the grass, in the dark, alone, gasping for air. I shivered in July’s sultry night heat.
 
“Dad, you made a great speech. They loved you. You were so funny, but did you have to tell them about the diaper thing. It was a little embarrassing. Jennifer didn’t know. Now she’s going to be kidding me the rest of my life,” Aaron rolled his eyes.
 
“Hey, you’re a tough kid. You can take it.” I gave my boy a big hug.
 
The new bride strolled over. “A little male bonding, I see.” She laid a hand on both our backs and then joined the embrace.
 
I turned to her, held her shoulders and looked her in the eyes. “Welcome to the family, Jenny.” She was beautiful and charming. Aaron had made a fine choice.
 
But then Jenny said, “What’s wrong?
 
“Everything’s great. Come on.” I brushed away a tear, but felt like a bit of a suck. “I guess I’m just feeling sentimental.” I said. Then I really shmaltzed it up, “After all, you’ve got my son now.”
 
“Don’t worry, we can share him? And I was wondering?” she hesitated.
 
“Yes?”…… I waited.
 
“Can I…this is stupid. Never mind,” She looked like a puppy dog.
 
“What, what is it?”
 
“Well, can I call you Dad. Seeing as …”
 
I interrupted, “Seeing as nothing. Of course, little darling. Just don’t call me late for dinner. Bad joke, I know. Actually, you had me scared for a minute. I thought you were going to ask me for money. This wedding cost me enough. But it would be an honor to have you call me Dad. Now you brats go off and party. Don’t get too high. And don’t forget to sing, dance and be merry. This is your wedding night, god-damn it! Party on!”
 
“I love you, Dad,” she said.
 
“Me too,” Aaron added. I smiled. I felt a bit corny, but it was a good corny. They disappeared among their friends. I had a couple more drinks, joked with my buddies.
 
My mind wandered on the way home. I thought about my wedding night. Counting a pile of checks and cash we molded into a mountain on our hotel bed. Falling on it together in embrace, paper scattering, some of it sticking to our naked skin. Giggling and rolling around. Making love in the heat in a way that only blind youthful lovers can deliver. Sleeping in, eating late, laughing a lot and dreaming dreams, together.
 
 
Still in my rented tuxedo I threw off my jacket and tie and flopped on to the couch, locking into the TV. Always had the weather channel on. Always hoped for rain. I loved the anticipation. Will it or won’t it? For me, it could rain everyday and never stop. It gave me an excuse to do nothing but watch. If I could, I’d sit on my front porch forever and admire the trees swaying and sauntering as they showered. They look happy. And for me, each sheet of rain, a blanket I can cuddle in. Each raindrop, a little finger massaging my soul. The earth getting what it needs. Me, getting time. Then the sun comes out. Everything fresh and new and full of hope again.

© 2008 Willy Blake


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this story. I feel the same way about the rain. Loved how you ended it ...

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
1 Review
Added on July 29, 2008
Last Updated on August 1, 2008

Author

Willy Blake
Willy Blake

Toronto, Canada



About
What is truth? Sure, stick your head in the blender and you�ll likely become part smoothie, but essentially human experience is fiction. One person in a wheel chair sees the morning with j.. more..

Writing
To the Sea To the Sea

A Story by Willy Blake