Chapter 5 Dying wish

Chapter 5 Dying wish

A Chapter by A.L.Exley

We got there too late. The only sound that echoed off the rocks of the fjord were the clomps of our horses hooves as we approached the village. The hilt of my blade weighs heavily in my hand. Drengr walk slowly around, picking up weapons, aiding wounded, and putting out fires. I slowly get off Fagr, taking in the horrid scene around me. Jerrik and Kari rush past me, no doubt towards their own house. 

I smell burning hay and metallic blood. I am use to this, having smelled them before. The real cause of the stone in my gut comes from smelling this scent in my own home. 

"Where have you been?" Calder grumbles at me as he walks past. He's dragging a bunch of logs from out border fence. It must have been knocked down in the attack. 

Calder's tone sends needles through my skin. As if I was not suffering enough. 

"Why should you care? You always boast about being the best warrior. Holding our village should have been no problem for you. I must say you have done a terrific job."

Calder's dark eyes burn at me as I walk past. 

I am caught between running and walking. I want to find out if my mother is okay, but I do not want to see if she isn't. It takes more and more effort to move my feet towards my hundr. A quiet, yet gruff sound makes me pause. 

"Eira," the voice chokes again. I run towards the sound. 

My heart leaps into my throat, blocking off my air. 

Bjarni is slouched against the wooden wheels of a hay-cart. Crimson blood coats his midsection, and stains the grey hairs of his bead. My knees drop onto the hard rocks. I grip his slack shoulder.

"Eira," he croaks. His voice gurgles as if he's speaking in water. More blood pours from his lips. 

"I am here, Uncle," I say softly. His eyes flicker across my face. I take a closer look at his wound, and recognize the clear cut of a sword. Panic washes over me when I realize how deep the wound is. 

"We have to get you to a healer." I wrap my hands around his arm and attempt to pull him up. Even though he was three times my size, I was ready to let him lean on my shoulder as I guided him to our healers house. But he grabs my arm in a weak fist.

"No, dyrr . It is too late. I am going to die." 

"You can walk away from this. We can get you help!" I plead. He can not give up on me. 

He shakes his head; a move so slight a barely catch it. "No time."

His hand shakes as he reaches around his neck. In one tug, he pulls off the string of his pendant, and hands it too me. I reluctantly accept his offering of the Chieftain's pendant. 

"It is up to you now. You must lead, you must take care of the people." 

My fingers tighten around the stone pendant. I want to argue, to refuse. But I knew Bjarni was dying. I could not argue with him now. 

He coughs again. Droplets of blood fly from his mouth and splatter the grass. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a tiny grey stone. He thrusts the stone into my hand. His fingers are pale and clammy. 

"Eira, you must promise me to do something. As soon as you can, you must go to Vølva Helka. Do you know how to get there?"

I nod vigorously.

"Good. Tell her everything that has happened, and no one else. She will be able to explain what you must do better than I." 

I desperately try to fight back tears. "I am sorry. I do not understand." 

His breath turns ragged and slow. "No time to . . . explain. Give her the runestone. You have a . . . difficult journey . . . ahead of you."  

With that, he closes his eyes and lets out a long breath. 

"Bjarni!" I shake his shoulder in a vain attempt to wake him, but he is gone. 

I want to cry and scream. To run into the woods, fling myself onto the forest floor and solve. But the weight of the Chieftain's pendant anchors. I force myself to stand.  A small crowd has gathered, awaiting word from their hilmir. Faces twist to confusion when they spot me holding the pendant. 

"I want the border guarded at all times while the village is being fixed and the wounded healed. I will be back shortly." I force power into my voice as I address the villagers. 

"Your first move as Chieftain is to leave us?" I should not have been surprised when Calder spoke up in his criticizing tone. 

I take a slow, deadly step towards him. 

"I am fulfilling our Chieftain's final wish. If my simple instructions are too difficult for you to follow, I cannot help you. Now, if you want to be of any use of me, you will tell me where my mother is."

"Eira!" Relief floods me as my mother runs towards me. Her face is dirty, and I spot a few scratches on her arms and legs, but other than that, she is okay. She throws down the wooden shield strapped to her and hugs me. My mother had retired from battle when she had me. If she had offered to serve as a shieldmaiden, even for a short amount of time, it meant the battle was serious. Serious for us was seconds away from being overthrown. 

She holds me in a tight embrace. 

"My dyrr, I thought I was going to die before seeing you again!" 

"'Tis alright. I am alright," I say against her shoulder. I step back at to really look at her. 

"I have to go see the Vølva. That was Bjarni's last request." 

Worry flickers in her eyes. "May I ask why?"

"I wish I could tell you but I can't. I promise I will be back soon." 

I ride through the dark forest with Kari and Jerrik at my side. I have not told them about the runestone, after what Bjarni warned. But I could not go alone. 

This part of the woods was unfamiliar to me, and I have been too much of the woods. I have only seen the Vølva once, when I was very young, back when my father was alive. I remember a warm feeling around her, of comfort, and wisdom. She traveled through the villages, spreading her wisdom, healing, and telling stories. Everywhere she went she was honored and welcomed, even to the viscous Skalaviks. 

But the blackness of trees makes me feel anything but welcomed. It was Bjarni who had told me how to reach the witches cottage. He said to only bother her in case of an emergency, such as a severe illness or wound. She was very busy practicing her magic, which must be respected. 

By the light of the moon, the little cottage comes into view. Jerrik and Kari hesitate but continue to follow me. They have no idea where I am leading them, or what the purpose of our mission is, but they follow me anyway. 

I dismount my horse, and walk up to the cottage. The wood of the door is black and makes a hollow sound when my fist knocks against it. A heavy moment of silence passes. Finally, I hear movement behind the door. The woods creaks as it opens. On the other side, a short old woman smiles up at me. 

I stand face to face with the most powerful women in Norge. 



© 2018 A.L.Exley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on October 2, 2016
Last Updated on December 18, 2018


Author

A.L.Exley
A.L.Exley

MN



About
I believe stories are one of the most important things in life, whether they take the form of books, movies, or pictures. A story is in insight into someone else's mind, offering an escape from our ow.. more..

Writing
Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by A.L.Exley