Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Angel

Snap. The sound of the twig snapping seemed to echo throughout the otherwise silent forest, alerting everything to the intruder. The dark figure blended back into the shadows, cursing her stupidity for her mistake. She was a trained huntress, but here she was making the same foolish mistakes as the prey. Stealing through the shadows, the figure made her way through the unfriendly woods. Every now and then, a pair of yellow eyes would gleam through the bushes at her side, but the figure kept going, she would not allow herself to become distracted. She had to keep going, for the sake of the bundle in her arms, which hindered a swifter journey. Without stopping to rest, the hooded figure continued on her path through the lonesome woods, no moon lighting the way, but she knew by heart the way to her destination. She had just reached the edge of the forest, when another hooded figure appeared form behind a tree.

 

“Hello, Diana.” The voice was as cold as ice, as hard as steel, but she could feel the magic that had seduced her before. “Lanthos,” she acknowledged, her own voice as light and sharp as a dagger. The other figure laughed, a hideous and mocking sound. “Diana,” he continued with his grey eyes gleaming like a wolf, “You’ve misbehaved, my dear. You must be punished.” But the figure called Diana held her ground, bringing the bundle closer inside the folds of her cloak. “You know me better than that, Lanthos,” she replied crisply, “No more of you and your twisted games.” As she stood there, she could see the venom dripping in Lanthos’ eyes, which burned like a grey fire. It was those very exotic eyes that had drawn Diana to him, but now she hated those eyes with every fiber of her being. “I’m not about to let you go, Diana,” Lanthos hissed through clenched teeth. “Oh, did I strike a nerve?” Diana taunted. She had known him to always be so deadly calm, even when he was performing his evil deeds on others, but now she could see the rage he was now struggling to control. Something filled Diana with a raw courage that had never been hers before. The bundle at her side was giving her renewed strength to not only face her tormentor, but to torment him. It felt oddly…good. “One shouldn’t play with fire, young Diana, unless you can accept being burned,” Lanthos replied, the hidden threat in his words quite obvious to Diana, but she no longer cared, she had accepted her fate. “Don’t preach to me, you miserable little prick,” she replied calmly. She could tell her words were aggravating him beyond compare. The only thing keeping her strangely calm and not prone to attack was the bundle still in her arms, well hidden beneath her cloak. She stared at Lanthos, daring him to harm her again. But he was no fool; he never attacked out right unless he had full control of the situation. “You’ve been warned, Diana love,” he stated, and then with a wave of his arm, he disappeared in a wisp of smoke.

 

Diana breathed a sigh of relief, but her joy was short-lived. She knew him well enough to know that he was plotting something deadly, and she had to finish her journey. She quickly stepped from the forest’s edge, and walked swiftly on the cool sand that was now beneath her slim feet. A mighty roar was heard, and Diana’s heart quickened. She had reached the sea. The inky black waters seemed to melt into the darkness around her, but the icy feeling on her feet and legs alerted her that she had made it to the shore’s edge. With a sigh of regret, Diana removed the bundle from her cloak. Carefully so as to not disturb the contents, she stripped off the dark cloth surrounding the bundle, revealing a home-crafted basket that was intricately made to keep out the water. She set the basket on the ground, and soundlessly removed the top. “Keep sleeping, little one,” she whispered tenderly to the small figure lying inside. Her heart ached, but Diana had to part with the small child. She reached inside her cloak and removed the amulet from around her neck. She gently placed it in the basket beside the sleeping form. “One day, I pray you remember, little one. You are the only hope now. Be safe, my sweet princess,” she cooed as she replaced the lid on the basket. Then, Diana placed the basket in the water, and watched it glide away from sight. A tear formed and threatened to fall from her right eye, but Diana wiped it away. She prayed her daughter would be alright, that she would grow up strong and safe, and someday return to set things right.

 

After she was sure the basket was far from view, she dropped her head and turned around to return to the woods. However, as soon as Diana turned, a streak of blue light struck her square in the chest. Diana didn’t even have time to scream, she was completely frozen to where she stood. A hollow laughter filled the darkness, and she saw twin grey eyes appear before her. Lanthos she thought bitterly. “Yes, my fair Diana,” he mocked, having read her thoughts, “I told you I wouldn’t let you go.” He reached out a hand and stroked her cheek. Diana couldn’t flinch away from the repulsive hand due to the paralyzing spell, but she cursed him in her mind. “Oh, come now. That’s no way for a lady to behave,” he laughed devilishly. Her eyes shined in defiance, her honey-gold pools resisting his wolfish gleam. Lanthos’ hand moved from her cheek down her neck, and farther down towards her chest, but stopped when her eyes suddenly shined with silent laughter. It’s not there, Lanthos she thought smugly. “Where is it, you horrid suka?” he asked angrily. That amulet was the key to his success, and he wanted it. Sorry, but my lips are sealed, Diana replied, evidently enjoying the little pun. With a quick swipe of his finger, and a burst of yellow light, Lanthos removed the paralyzing spell from her lips and vocal cords. “Where is the amulet? Tell me, you nasty little suka!” he demanded, but Diana smiled contently. “You shall search, but you will never find it. The rightful owner has it now.” With that, Diana laughed. A long, wild, uncontrollable, haunting laugh, like one gone mad. Even when Lanthos struck her across the face, she kept laughing. After he silenced her with the green light of death, and watched her fall to the ground, its bottom half enveloped by the dark waves, the laughing still rang in Lanthos’ ears. “Oh, Diana. You silly, silly girl.” He muttered, annoyed by the glitch in his plan. He swore he would search the world until he found the amulet, and he would kill whoever got in his way, even the little girl he had sired. “I will find her,” he vowed solemnly, the darkness seeming to add weight to his statement. With a flash, he disappeared again in a wisp of smoke, leaving behind Diana in her cold, watery grave.



© 2011 Angel


Author's Note

Angel
Please...any comments, questions, concerns, criticisms will be greatly appreciated. And I don't mind if you're blunt...I love honesty.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on May 13, 2011
Last Updated on May 13, 2011


Author

Angel
Angel

Statesville, NC



About
I am a 19 year-old girl who's firey and outspoked. I say almost anything that's on my mind and I'm not afraid to defend myself, others, or what I believe is right. I am cool, calm, and collected. I en.. more..

Writing
Moonlit Tears Moonlit Tears

A Poem by Angel


Hello Stranger Hello Stranger

A Poem by Angel