Untitled

Untitled

A Chapter by The Last Ronin
"

I was at work when I decided to put the first paragraph or so of a book together for ideas, critiques, and to see if there is interest in seeing more. The gist of the book is this. A dark figure appears to the inhabitants of a small town in reflective s

"

 

The sharp sliver of the moon hangs like a golden scimitar blade over the dark silhouettes of the trees of North Swamp.  The pulsing buzz of the cicadas and creaking chirps of the crickets is broken by the occasional mournful cry of an owl.

A blanket of almost stifling humidity covers the sleepy town of __________, as it slumbers through the night.  Its streets are deserted, except for a few cars, parked in gutters or driveways.  The town is largely dark, illuminated only sporadically by the odd streetlamp or the lonely glow from the window of some poor insomniac's lonely stand against sleep.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! An owl cries from the depths of North Swamp.  The cicadas and crickets fall silent, as if pondering the question.  In the distance comes a lower, somehow more sinister, response: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  The crickets and cicadas, seemingly satisfied with the answer, resume their serenade.

 

 



© 2009 The Last Ronin


Author's Note

The Last Ronin
How is the mood and imagery? any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A good take on it was a dark and dreary night. I story kep my attention. Being from Texas the imagery of all the woodsy creature got me to thinking "can they all be together at once?". The other tought is cicadas make noise based on temperature and time of day. I did not do research as if they make noise at night? My memory was that they only did so during the day or evening. The devil is in the details. I liked the paragraph.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
1 Review
Added on March 3, 2009
Last Updated on March 3, 2009


Author

The Last Ronin
The Last Ronin

Not to far out in the sticks, but deep in an everpresent gloominess, GA



About
The Last Ronin has been writing short fiction off and on, mostly off, for the last decade. He grew up all over the united states first as a military brat, then as a military officer himself. He ha.. more..

Writing