Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Joaquina

"Nothing could help him now", Maggie sighed and took a bite of her sandwich, "the tumor has spread too quickly." I sighed and looked at the half-eaten apple in front of me, wishing I could do something to save him or to slow down the process because maybe if there's even the slightest chance for him then maybe there's a slight chance for Oliva too. "Turn on the news" Magie asked in between bites. "Why?" The news just updates these days, are short because "We know everything they're going to say. Neo-zombies spotted, America is in a state of panic: neo-zombies have yet to be spotted, neo-zombies have reached central Mexico." I stood up and walked towards the door to leave. Almost like a whisper, she said, "maybe if you stayed on the team you could have found the cure". I stopped and looked at the white tile floor of the hospital "you know why I left".

For the past 4 years, the United States has been at war with neo-zombies. They're considered neo because they are not like the zombies we grew up knowing about; the dead back to life but rot along, eating brains and mumbling-grumbling everything. These starred in a small town in Washington and it spread quickly through the states until the president decided to keep all non-infected Americans to the right of the U.S and they kept the others to the left― or so they've been trying. I was part of the research team to examine them to try to figure out how to stop the virus or even better: cure and reverse it. We yet to have reached our primary goal but they have discovered they don't run any faster than a regular human and they act like any other animal in the world― when hungry, all the focus goes towards food and with that one single motive they develop elaborate plans to get what they want.

I was chosen to be part of the team. I didn't choose it but I didn't mind because in the current economy we live in, ten dollars wasn't enough to even buy a bag of cookies (cookies are very rare these days). The rich fled to safe islands and the important officials were taken care of enough to take care of the rest: the middle and low class. But with so much money taken aboard and even more being spent on research for the neo-zombies and other diseases, so little was left for the civilians. With my husband missing and Oliva in treatment for cancer, I took the job to pay the bills.

When I enter Mr. Jackson's room, he is staring out the window and humming "it's a small world" again. That's all he seems to remember these days but the just melody, the lyrics were forgotten. I take a seat next to him and wait until he's done. We sit in silence for a few more minutes, as our daily routine for the past 3 months he's been under my care, I then helped him into his bed and brought him a yogurt and apple juice. As I watched him eat I thought of what kind of person he was before he ended up here before he was diagnosed with cancer. I caught myself wondering about the family he must have had or the things he might have enjoyed. I wondered a lot about the things he does now: the humming of "it's a small world" and why that specific nursery rhyme, what's inside the locket around his neck, and the scar on his left calf.

Seconds after changing his hospital gown screams were heard from outside. I ran towards the window and watched as neo-zombies raced towards the entrance, some attempting to climb. My eyes scan the walls protecting our province― nothing. Just about 3 feet from the right side a dozen holes can be seen. "They tunneled their way in" I gritted my teeth in anger "damn them". Someone must have pulled the emergency handle after the first scream because the door was locked and the window bars were dropped. I quickly made my way to Jay expecting him to be just as panicked as I but he was very calm like he was expecting it, we all were but he seemed more mentally prepared than the officials. Loud crashes were heard from the halls, they made it to the 4th floor― nobody reached the firing lever. I ran to the bathroom for the flamethrower I hid from. I hoped if I lived through this the officials would be able to look past this violation. A bang came from the room and a tear ran down my cheek. Jay.




© 2017 Joaquina


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

" I ran to the bathroom for the flamethrower I hid from." What does that mean? Interesting story. Where is the story going and how many more chapters are there?

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 14, 2017
Last Updated on July 14, 2017
Tags: zombies


Author

Joaquina
Joaquina

FL



Writing
NeoVita NeoVita

A Book by Joaquina