The Question: Questions Unanswered

The Question: Questions Unanswered

A Story by Matthew Walker
"

Part 1 in my short story collection featuring the Question

"

“Hub City, April 11th 2014, I'm searching the streets for the link to the murder of a prostitute named Molly Jennings. I am already late for my date with Huntress at the local motorcycle bar but this case is vital to the safety of the country.” The back alley was covered in blood as the Question was taking samples of the victim's blood. He scans the ground like a bloodhound in a search party looking for any type of clue that could help him in his mission. As he continued to search the alley he didn't notice the cop coming up behind him.


“Freeze,” he yelled with his gun drawn “Hands up!” Question slowly turned around to see the gun pointed directly in his face. “Why should I? You people aren't doing anything about this murder, you're just tossing it aside to further your own fascist agenda,” Question interjected. “What the hell did you just call me...A FASCIST,” the cop screamed his face turning red with anger. “I called you...a fascist,” the Question said very calmly. The cop ran towards him and swung his fist which the Question easily avoided. Question knocked the cop out after a few minutes of fist fighting now it was back to the mission at hand.


There was no other evidence besides the blood at the scene so Question hurried home. He doesn't like the streets so he climbed a fire escape to the roof of one of the buildings in the alley and jumped from rooftop to rooftop till he made it to his apartment building. As he slid down the fire escape to his window he thought of all the things he still had to do that night, but for right now Huntress was his main focus. He quickly changed into another suit and swiftly walked to the stairs. Question avoided elevators because of the cameras the NSA used to watch people with in them. He left the lobby and jumped into his 1970 Dodge Charger parked right outside.


Madballs Bar was one of the roughest places in Hub City even during the day and it was already 9:30 in the evening. As Question got out of his Charger he seen Huntress walking towards the bar exit, she was walking out as he walked in. “I was beginning to think you weren't coming,” she said. “Sorry was really busy working on this murder case lost track of time. As soon as I dealt with an inconvenience I headed straight over.” Question replied. Let me guess another cop knocked out?” Huntress asked. “Yes. So are we going to have this date or not?” he asked. “How about drive through and I help you with your case?” “Works for me,” he replied. They got in the car and sped away.


It was getting late the other prostitutes would be out. It was time to start questioning. As Huntress and Question approached the red light district they started talking to people as they went buy after about an hour they found out that Molly Jennings was murdered by a member of the Black Flag motorcycle gang who hung out at a local club called The Drop. That was the bad news The Drop was a strip club in the Ice Pits which was the shadiest part of Hub City.


Huntress and Question parked around the corner from the club and cautiously approached the building. “Several guards outside the door,” Question said as he peaked around the corner. “Well then we take the back door,” Huntress said with a smile. The couple ran around to the back edge of the building. Question then kicked the door in so he and Huntress could sneak inside. They went past the dressing rooms and popped out next to the stage. “Hey what are you costumed freaks doing here?” a gang member yelled out. “We're here for information if that's fine with you,” Huntress replied back. “Well it's not girlie, but if you want I can take you in the back and show you my superhero,” another gang member said with a smirk. “He did not just say that,” she muttered. Huntress ran towards the guy and kicked him right in the groin. “FF--,” he started to yell as she knocked him out with swift punch to the face. “I guess we're doing it the hard way,” Question said as he took down a guy coming towards him. “All we want is a name which one of you jerkoffs murdered Molly Jennings, after that we will leave,” Question yelled out. “The only way you're leaving punk is in a freaking body bag!” the man who seemed to be the gang leader said. Huntress and Question took out all but one guy; Question then grabbed the guy by the shirt and whispered in his ear. “Are you going to tell us what we want to know or am I going to have to let her loose on you. She might even put a crossbow arrow in you,” “I don't know anything! The boss is the one who killed her I don't know why,” he said sobbing pointing to the large guy who was just waking up. “Time to talk big man,” Huntress said as she grabbed the guy. “Look I killed her cause I was sick of her. It was my ex there is no conspiracies just plain and simple. I took out the trash,” the guy said laughing. “I know there is no conspiracies. It is singular there is only the conspiracy,” Question responded. “We'll leave you for the police when they get here,” Question said as he handcuffed the guy to a pole.


As they exited the bar all the guys started to wake up. They heard a guy yell to get the heroes so they started running towards their car. They jumped in and started speeding down the road. A few seconds later you could hear the revving of motorcycle engines and yelling. Not long after the gang was racing after them. “Honey can I get a distraction,” Question asked Huntress. “Yeah give me a second,” she said with a smile. She unbuckled her seat belt and hung out the window. “Keep going straight I almost have a clean shot,” she said. Right at that moment she fired her crossbow right into the second in command's tire. His bike flew up in the air and came crashing down on another. Pretty soon half the bikers were on the ground. “Damn I'm good,” Huntress said with a laugh. They made it back to Huntress's apartment just before sunrise. They said their goodbyes and Question headed back to his apartment. He got home and went to sleep still pondering the questions of the night before. The evidence pointed to nothing so far but it had to lead to Armageddon, everything does in one way or another.


Nightfall came around again it was time to go to work. He was always careful coming out of his apartment to make sure no one would ever see him. He didn't know about the sniper on the roof a few buildings over waiting to take the Question out. Just as he stepped out of his window he was shot straight in the chest. The sniper runs away as Question collapses to the ground gasping for air. Question then passes out from blood loss. Huntress showed up soon after to discover him lying there unconscious. She started crying as she lunged towards him “Baby please don't die, please don't die!” she sobbed holding him in her arms. She checked his pulse which was super faint. She pulled out her cell phone and dialed her friend who helped her when she got hurt on missions. Huntress asked him to meet her there. “Yeah I'm on my way right now,” the man said. “Please hurry,” she cried.


Two hours later


The assassin arrives at his house just in time to receive a phone call. “I take it your mission is complete Deadshot?” the phone voice asked. “Yeah Question is dead I shot him right in the chest, he's pushing up daisies right now,” Deadshot replied. “Good. I'll be sending you your next target soon, one by one the heroes must die,” the voice said to him. “Yes sir.”


  To Be Continued 

Next Issue Captain Atom: The "American" Way?

© 2014 Matthew Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on April 13, 2014
Last Updated on April 13, 2014
Tags: Superhero, DC Comics, Question

Author

Matthew Walker
Matthew Walker

Shelbyville, IN



About
Young adult superhero nerd just trying to find my place in the world more..

Writing