Spirit Stone - Chapter Three

Spirit Stone - Chapter Three

A Chapter by The Great Red Mage

Chapter Three: A Howl in the Night


It was burning. The only home Sable had ever known. The acrid smoke burned her eyes and lungs as she opened her eyes to look up at her uncle screaming at her but there was no sound other than a banging at the door. The noise became louder until the door finally gave way. It slid across the floor whipping ashes into the air. A shadow walked into their cabin brandishing a bone like sword, it had a sense of terror emanating from it. Sable couldn’t move under the beam, helpless as she watched her uncle get stabbed through the chest. As the shadow turned it attention to her, she saw an eye, an ever gazing eye pierce her very soul. In that moment Sable’s eyes snapped awake, she drew a deep breath. She was lying in her bed, it was dusk. She sat up and cringed. It had just been a dream but it felt like something more, something real. She could still feel that eye, that something peering into her, like when a predator stalks it prey and stares from the shadow.  Sable and her adoptive elven father or uncle as he had taught her to call him when she was young lived in a simple cabin on the outskirts of Mith’Las on the edge of the dreaded Navir forest. It had a simple laid out of three rooms, one for her and her uncle and a main room that housed the kitchen. The hint of spices hit her noise and her stomach was growling. Why had her uncle let her sleep so long?  She got off her bed and stretched yawning and dragged herself into the kitchen.

“Oh, I see the dead has risen” said Zeviran as Sabled meandered over to the table yawning loudly. Sable rubbed her eye’s sitting down at the table.

“good evening to you too, why didn’t you wake me?” Said Sable distastefully.

“Honestly I tried to wake you three times today. Have you been wandering off at night again? I keep telling you not to go closer to the forest than you have too-” reprimanded Zeviran in the most parent like voice he could manage. He had never been good at this parenting thing. How he missed Gregory.

“Yes uncle, there are spirits dwelling in that forest” Said sable mockingly.

“Anyways whats for dinner?”

Zeviran just looked at her disappointed and sighed,

“Partridge stew” he said as he brought two bowls to the table.

“You know if you slept the entire night I was going to carry you into the city and have you get checked by a priestess. Thought the witch of Navir might have nabbed your spirit” said Zeviran as he stirred his stew. they laughed quietly as dusk was nearing its end and soon darkness fell. Sable ate the last bite of her stew when she smelled it. The burning of torches. Her dream flashed before her and panic washed over her.  She got out of her seat suddenly and looked around frantically.

“Sable, what’s wrong?” asked Zeviran as he saw torch light approaching the house. Without another word, he disappeared into his room. Now where had he left that old thing? He reached into his chest, pulling some clothes and trinkets out of the way to reveal his old sword. It was a longsword, hand and a half. The blade still looked in perfect condition despite not seeing maintenance for years. His mind quickly drifted to his brother before he emerged from his room. Sable’s eyes widened as she saw her uncle draw his sword. She knew he was a soldier once upon a time, and listened to some of his old war stories when he gave into her badgering. He looked at Sable with urgency.

“Gather your things right now, take the essentials and when you’ve got it all packed go out the back and run. I don’t care where just run and hide” he said drawing his sword from its scabbard. Before she could say another word, Zeviran began to bar the door with the table. Something banged against the door, and smoke began to enter the house. Sable’s dream was becoming reality.

“Sable, you’re not a little girl anymore. You to realise I’m buying you time. Run like the wolf priestess is chasing you” he said readying his sword as the smashing at the door got louder.

“We’ll meet at the old oak okay? just run there and don’t look back”

“Okay, don’t die on me old man” said Sable. She grabbed her things into a pack and exited out a window on the side of the cabin, slipping into the night. There was a small forested area around the cabin, she disappeared into the bush the way she used to when she would hide from Zeviran when she many summers younger. This night was especially dark, as even the stars weren’t out. It only made the shadows the fire made a deeper black. How could her dream have come true? It was just a dream after all. She was crouched in the thickets when she heard the crunch of boots come near. Had these people found her already? She froze, but her body was ready to explode, race away. The walking stopped in front of the brush, Sable could see their boots and the bottoms of their black robes. They were chanting some demonic language, when the sound of the cabin door finally broke open. It was quickly followed by the screaming of a dying man. The two people then stopped chanting and ran back towards the cabin. This was her chance. Sable just ran, ran as fast as her legs could carry her. The light of the fire was dim behind her and the shadow of Navir loomed closer as she ran through the inky night. Some torches could be seen in the distance behind her as some of these men, bandits had clearly noticed her run.  Sable continued to run through all the trails and short cuts she had played in as a child. She finally stopped to catch her breath in a clearing. The yelling of men, and clash of steel rings in the distance. Surely that means her uncle is alive still? Sable felt eyes begin to well in her eyes, grief and worry had finally hit her. What if he doesn’t make it out?

"Get ahold of yourself girl, remember just get to the oak tree and he’ll meet there" said Sable scolding herself. When she was young, she would actually hide inside the tree if she became upset, or just wanted to give Zeviran a scare. Starting on her feet again and running in the shadows as best she could, Sable could see in the oak tree in the near distance, it was one of the few land marks around this area. Old was not quite enough for this tree. It was ancient, standing tall and proud outside Navir like a sentry. Maybe the tree was grown by the spirits, or maybe this tree had a spirit of its own. All things in Sinos have spirits or a soul however some spirits such as the ones said to haunt Navir forest simply can't manifest in a physical form. Sable slowed her pace as she approached the tree. Sable looked around wide eyed feeling caught out as the tree grew in an opening, if anyone was trailing her she would be easy to spot out. Crouching behind the tree in hollow in between some old wide roots, a piercing howl split across the sky. It resonated in Sable, she felt the howl reach into her very spirit, her soul, the center of her being, and in that moment sometime awoke deep inside her. An intense burning began in her shoulder spreading across her entire body like wild fire. She felt it's presence for the again. That same things from her dream. It had been there the whole time, something she had never known wanted out of her, it's will tugged at her spirit, howling like a mad beast inside of her. The burning turned into blinding pain. Sable could no longer hold out, collapsing to the ground underneath the tree releasing a feral scream. Sable could barely see, the pain blurred her vision. From Navir’s treeline a large white being strode, with something smaller on its back. What could it be she thought to herself? The chanting she heard at the house picked up again as the beast stepped closer to her. Was this the day Sable was to die? She gritted her teeth in pain as what looked to be boots landed on the soil besides her.

"Hear my words child, for I have seen you from the Navir" spoke the women,

"you are now under the protection of Eros, the guardian of the forest and no harm will come to you" The women moved her hands slowly over her body and the pain soothed, as if quieted. Sable's sight returned to her, as she felt the heat leave her body. The women was around five feet tall wearing some leather garb that was littered with leaves and spider webs. She had long ears even for an elf and wore a crown of leaves. Beside her was the white figure Sable had seen approach from the woods. This was the fabled guardian of the forest, Eros the great white wolf. Sable's eyes widen startled by the sight of the wolf, and instantly knew who she had been healed by. Fear spread across Sable’s face, she backed herself further into the tree’s roots. The Wolf priestess looked at her irritated.

"It seems I have a reputation Eros, maybe I should have let you eat her instead of healing her?" the witch said meeting the wolf's gaze. His eyes seemed to say everything.

"I see fine, fine. Eros I will take the girl back with me” Said the witch,

"now girl where is the older elvish man you live with? I suppose the he stayed behind to slow the Mirandu Viranis?" The chanting got louder, and seemed closer.

"Mirandu Viranis? You mea-?" Sable said.

“yes, the people who are hunting you at this very moment. Just retrieve the man Eros” commanded the witch. With a nod and a long howl, Eros bounded off into the night towards the light.

“You’re coming with me, get up and be quick about. Who knows how many of them are lurking around here” said the Lady of the forest offering her staff to Sable. the witch turned away from the oak tree without a second thought back to the forest. Sable hobbled along after her, leaning on the staff for support still weak from whatever had just happened to her. The witch waved a hand at the trees that grew thick around the edges of the forest. To Sable's surprise they spread apart, revealing a rough trail.

"I promise you no spirit will harm you while you stay with me" Promised the Wolf Priestess, “What do you do call yourself girl? You know me as witch, or priestess I assume, my name is Saraura of Eros, daughter of Navir, and you are?"

"I've heard from the local traders that if a witch knows your name it's easier from them to place spells on you" barked Sable, "you may call me... Raines for now"

"Alright Miss. Raines, do you really intend on lying to me?" retorted Saraura,

"I mean I could just leave you here in the trail" Saraura gave out a light laugh and slowed her pace as the woods thickened around the pair. Sable could see something skirting the trail behind them, but it never came into view, maybe this forest was actually haunted. Saraura stopped and sniffed the air turning around looking into a large section of brush.

"There you are Sithra, how long have you been following us? You could have made yourself known before, but I suppose you do enjoy being alone unlike Eros and I" called out Saraura. A small brown cat emerged from the bush, twitching its tail happily.  

“This is my friend Sithra, she doesn't usually look this happy to see anyone" Said Saraura motioning to the cat. Sithra pushed up against Sable's legs and purred deeply before sauntering over to Saraura and hopping up on her shoulders. Saraura sighed deeply, as the cat let loose a long meow as if telling her a story.

"So your name is Sable Raines, I see" said Saraura,

"No wonder the cat likes you, she's always had a thing for trouble makers" Sithra then hopped the ground, giving a wink at Sable and started to drift down the trail. The party no longer spoke until they rounded a wooded bend which opened to a beautiful clear. Sable gasped at the beauty, the moon was now out and lit the field. There was a small hut in the middle surrounded by flowers that seemly glowed in the light, fireflies wandered the fields adding to the surreal feel of this grove.

"Welcome to my den Sable" announced Saraura. Bright yellow eyes lined the treeline, these must the be the witch's wolf pack Sable thought to herself. The door to the hut, opening itself let Saraura and Sithra in, and as Sable entered thinking about her uncle's fate the door shut behind her. Inside the hut, it was roomy as there were very few things besides a bed, a small table with two chairs, a cooking pot over a fire, a small chest , and some shelves with bones, rocks, feathers and a few books. Sithra curled up beside the already lit fire, on the surprisingly clean ground inside.

"Make yourself at home" said Saraura pulling out a chair for herself.

"you must be tired after all that, if you wish to sleep you may use my bed for the night" Taking a seat on the bed which was covered in furs of different animals Sable found herself exhausted. She had only been awake for a few hours yet her body felt so taxed. Sable yawned loudly, whatever had torn across her body snapped at her strength. Her mind wandered to her uncle and she examined Saraura.

"I have no idea child, for those men who burned your house were of Mirandu Viranis" Saraura answered somehow knowing what Sable was thinking. Saraura shook her head and gave an uncertain look.

"Nothing can be certain when they are involved"

Sable yawned again, feeling a slight pain in her shoulder return but not as sharply as before. More like a lingering, as if what was inside her had been quelled back to sleep.

"Sable, go to sleep and I will awake you when Eros returns" Said Saraura. Sable lay down on the pelts and closed her eyes. Her mind went blank, within a minute the world went dark around her and she fell asleep.




© 2016 The Great Red Mage


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on November 28, 2016
Last Updated on November 28, 2016
Tags: Spirit stone


Author

The Great Red Mage
The Great Red Mage

Thunder Bay, ON, Canada



About
I'm just a small town kid who started writing back in Highschool. I've got a poem in a book, but other than that I've never won anything with it or taken it seriously. I'm mostly here to upload my sto.. more..

Writing