~1~

~1~

A Chapter by Callie

 

Breathe. Don’t think, just keep breathing. 

The sharp snapping of branches pierced the air, followed by the thunderous tromping of footsteps in pursuit. 

My hair whipped viciously at my face as I plunged between the trees, the bracken snagging at my ankles as I tore through the forest. The instinct for flight was overwhelming and my eyes desperately careened up into the dense canopy of trees in search of any chance of escape. 

The trees began to close in ahead and I made a quick detour to the left, pushing myself to go faster. At times of life and death, nothing else but your survival matters. -Like now for instance. 

My lungs are about to implode- No problem. 

My bare feet are hitting every standing twig, loose rock, and thorn loitering the forest floor- I can deal. 

I’m being chased by the strongest, most lethal predators of my kind and am outnumbered three to one- Hey, if I live, Shift will be waiting at home with breakfast... 

Without much warning, the tree to my right exploded, sending fragments of wood splintering into the air as I darted by. As if running from them wasn’t enough, it seemed they were well equipped with firearms. I risked a glance over my shoulder and was glad to find I was still well over twenty paces ahead of them. I knew there was only so much time before they would make their final move. 

After what seemed like years of mind-dissolving, bone-grinding sprinting, a small amount of light broke through the thicket of trees ahead. The smell of pine was suffocating and I prayed that I could reach the end before I passed out. Something told me that even if I did survive today, this wasn’t going to end anytime soon.



© 2014 Callie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on November 15, 2014
Last Updated on November 15, 2014


Author

Callie
Callie

collierville, TN



About
I am currently 16 until June 3rd of 2015, I'm a junior in high school and I love to read/write/draw/swim/play guitar/sing/ and ride horses. I love animals. I am mainly into fiction/science-fiction.. more..

Writing
~Prologue~ ~Prologue~

A Chapter by Callie


Summary Summary

A Chapter by Callie