Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Caitlin
"

Meeting new faces and facing farewells, the girl does not know of the trials that have been set in motion.

"

“Echo…my voice is an echo.
Of places I don’t know.
And stories I’ve been told.”
-The Hush Sound
 
Samantha’s eyes trailed up and down the tall, dilapidated, sad excuse for a town hall. Only a second had passed when the doors were pushed open, a grinning brown haired man stepping out into the light. His suit was tweed, dark and coarse, and there was a loud red tie around his neck.
Why is he even smiling? Samantha wondered, What is there to be so happy about?
“Welcome to Calroanon!” he exclaimed, pumping Samantha’s hand enthusiastically. His straight, pearly white teeth gleamed white as he smiled.
 
Maybe that’s why he won’t stop smiling, Samantha thought, because he’s egotistical and in love with his dentist. Typical.
“Mrs.….Wiles, is it?” the man asked, “My name is Mr. Vern. I’m the unofficial mayor of this here little town.”
Unofficial, or unwanted? She asked herself.
 “If you could just step inside for a minute to sign some papers?” Mrs. Wiles nodded, and they went inside, the white doors slamming shut behind them. Melinda was left alone on the partly eroded marble steps, her suitcase awkwardly hanging at her side.
After surveying the surroundings-she could see nothing but dust- in less than a second, something registered as odd to Samantha. If this was a town, why was it so deathly silent? Where were the sounds of birds chirping, children playing and laughing, fathers complaining and mothers scolding? No matter how hard she strained her ears, she could hear nothing. She was broken out of her trance when Mrs. Wiles came out of the town hall and swept her into a hug.
“Be safe,” she whispered in Samantha’s ear, “Take care of yourself.” She broke away, tears in her eyes. She slowly walked down the steps and got into her car. Samantha watched her drive away.
 



© 2009 Caitlin


Author's Note

Caitlin
Yeah, it's short. The chapters will get longer...sorta...I promise.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on January 31, 2009


Author

Caitlin
Caitlin

NY



About
I love singing and acting, basically all musical theater. But really writing is one of my largest, most prominent passions. If you like my writing, I'll tell you a secret; I'm 13 years old. I hope a.. more..

Writing
Better Off Better Off

A Poem by Caitlin


Doll Doll

A Poem by Caitlin