Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by yoshua171
"

Tempers flare and egos take over, but in the end a plan is brought forth. Still, is it enough to unite them?

"

For each choice, there is a path to follow. For with each decision we make, a ripple spreads and touches all; so, are we not fate?”-R’diochaus of the Starhand.


The visage of each bard seemed to emanate each their own strange life, G’hros found it to be rather turgid. ‘Why must they be so unnecessarily lavish in their presentation,’ he wondered this with his normal air of annoyance. A look of disdain was clear in his eyes, yet the pleased smile was upon his face. How could one man manage so many emotions at once?


None of it mattered, none of it at all, such ridiculous notions could be easily cast from his mind just as money was cast at the others of his profession. Yes, money that was what drove the world. At least, that was how he had always seen it, things only moved when money was to be lost, not everyone even realized that their interests were threatened or even involved when they made particular choices. This, this was where G’hros would intercede, where he made his own profit and slowly whittled down on the funds of his targets. Many who heard such things would think them foul, almost as if they were the machinations of a conman, but that was not so.


G’hros was far from a conman, no it was simply that he knew how the system of commerce worked, and that he understood how people worked. In fact, it was his understanding of people that led him to dislike them so completely. People were the cause of all problems, and to G’hros the worth of a man was measured by the power and money they dictated or possessed. To the merchant anything else was secondary.


With each thought the passing of time was evident and the monarchs had already attempted to assess the situation as best they could. G’hros watched with his slight smile for he had been and still was prescient in regards to the caucus being held before him.


Jen and Monea rose, likely to show and better voice their opinions and respects to the seven. G’hros knew that these individuals would seem as each their own unique enigma, but he saw them for what they were: Bards.


As if in response to his harsh judgmental thoughts, Mariat glanced to G’hros and smiled, a more devious look twinkling behind his light amusement. G’hros shivered in response and did his best to remain silent till it was time for him to speak.


“Before entering the matters at hand I, Jen the king of Moria and the son of Kosomia V and Tomalia II would like t-…” then abruptly Jen’s words were cut off as the third delegate turned her head to show her stern glare to the king.


Jen froze in surprise, and almost in shock, and a look of near anger rested on his face. The monarch was rather appalled by the rude interruption, but he had to take it in his stead as technically he and these councilmen and women were of equal status, each in their own right.


“With the respect due a visitor to a foreign land I, Poradia Catio of the Starhand , would like to put forth the suggestion that you state your concerns quickly.”


Each word from Poradia’s mouth stung like the strike of a gavel did the ears and there was a strict authority to her words and actions both. Jen bristled slightly and found he had to shake himself. Then a pressure on his forearm sent an emollient sensation into him. He glanced at his wife, who smiled at him reassuringly. Releasing a breath and a sensation of tolerance coming upon him, Jen turned to Poradia and smiled graciously. “Thank you Poradia, I suppose it would be best to get on with the proceedings…as it were.” The third delegate nodded her head and returned to her former orientation.


Jen took another deep breath and began “Moria is threatened by the Ki’int and as I have seen, our wealth is not on the favorable side of Naxi’s scales.” G’hros smiled, it had been his watchful eyes and sharp mind, which had discovered the discrepancy in Moria’s treasury. Jen continued, and as he did G’hros marveled over why the king might even mention Naxi, the Spirit of Wealth and Naught.


“We do not have sufficient funds to use on mercenaries and we do not have time to squander. So, as our dear associate Mariat allowed us a…council, with his ilk. I accepted. Now we are here, you the Starhand council, and my queen Monea and I, monarchs of Moria. We wish to plead aid from the people of the Starhand.” With that Jen fell silent and quietly sat back down, Monea followed suit.


In these moments G’hros watched with intense interest in the whole event. He wondered how the other outsider was taken and so he glanced to his side. Raal came into view and he could see the knight’s brow furrowed and his eyes cast in worry. G’hros did not smile, as his smile had since faded into his normal sullenness, but he did feel a slight rush as if a vengeance for the knight’s insulting words had been dealt.


“Your wish is to receive funds from us, to receive aid of our armies and by extension our people, and to garner trust between our races and our kind. You are asking much of us, Monarch.” It was Mogori who spoke these words with an earnest truth and a calculating look to his features. He was neither ugly nor handsome and could be considered of average looks with a slightly hawkish nose and a face that looked of beginning age with a coarse history. It was Monea who moved to speak now, but just as in the hall the previous day, it was G’hros who interjected.


“Thoughtful words Mogori, but you forget where you are. This is not the domain of the one whose reign is of the compass in the night.” The tone in the merchant’s voice was one of slight disdain and the delegate seemed to withdraw slightly, though he did not recoil or react.


"I would like to bring forth the facts of this matter before you get to your squabbling.” It appeared that G’hros was between an attempt at kindness and his normal mannerisms, it was a rather rough combination.


“The lands of the Starhand, your people dear Delegate, are just to the south and east of here. The Ki’int are coming from the north and moving southwards towards the capital.” G’hros glanced to the knight for confirmation and Raal nodded almost absentmindedly. Turning back, G’hros continued “It is likely, with knowing the nature of the Ki’int, that The Starhand will be the next target if Moria falls. Keep in mind, that losing Moria is not only the loss of a figurative defen-” Jen rose, a fiery look in his eyes.


“We are not some pawn on a chessboard!” G’hros reacted quickly by firing a searing glare directly into the eyes of Jen. The king almost fell into his chair, as the merchant’s mere force of will hit him.


Then, G’hros’s calm flowed back in and he reiterated with irritation slowly draining from his words “It would not only be the loss of a figurative defense for your people, but a loss in commerce, a loss in ally, and a loss of important lands to the wiles of the Kihalkdinh.” G’hros glanced in Jen’s direction and then looked to Raal, then he let each member of the Starhand council catch his eye once. Following this, the merchant sat down and concluded simply “That is all I have to say…” at least for now that is, he thought.


For what would seem an age, silence flowed freely throughout the room and between the ears of the men and women present. Each had their own thoughts on the merchant’s words, but they all knew that in many ways he was right. The merchant was pleased, but it did not show.

- - - - -


Raal now held a slight frown on his face, both from thought and from worry. G’hros was right, if they did not do something, even the mighty and elusive people of the Starhand could fall to the raging pestilence of the Ki’int.


Vadarbi spoke up now, breaking the silence with his tumultuous voice and appearance. “You rage and speak of such travesty and depravity as if it surely is the outcome of these endeavors. Know you the future stout one?” There was a questioning, almost threatening tone to the Delegate’s voice. G’hros did not respond and Vadarbi rose and his robes marked with a vertical line surrounded by the spiral of a tornado moved as if the wind had pulled them outwards. The symbol of a twelve pointed star with small dots at each point seemed to gleam a grayish green and the man’s eyes, which were fiery and of the same color, stared at the silent merchant venomously.


G’hros continued to remain in silence and Raal, who had looked between the two during, rose himself to strangely find that he was defending the merchant. Vadarbi’s eyes shot over to the knight and they narrowed further “What say you, lowly knight, why do you show your presence before this council?” Each word was strongly enunciated, but none of them bit into the knight’s skin.


“This lowly knight has a name councilman and that name is Raal Tjin. I am here because I warned of this threat to the queen, Monea, before any other and because I am in fact the general of Moria’s forces.” Raal continued to stare down the councilman, and while he did not shrink or recoil from the knight’s reply, he did react with a smile and a raised brow of disdain. He then laughed, he dared laugh at Monea’s knight, the knight who was the zenith of Moria’s military.


The sound of clapping reached their ears and Mariat could be seen. The bard was still seated, a smile on his face and his eyes closed as he shook his head and clapped. When all their attention was aimed at him, he ceased the folly and raised his eyes to address all of them. “Let us not be ruled by our egos and our differences, but by the similarities that tie us together. Have we not all been stricken by the Ki’int before? Have we not heard of the greater destruction that the creatures have wrought across the lands?”


Each Delegate responded in the affirmative, and the two monarchs conceded as well. “Then why do we quarrel, as the merchant so blatantly put it?” Mariat’s smile shone with the simple happiness of the situation, and his eyes told of charisma beyond many in the room.


“My husband speaks the truth…” a soft, cool, feminine voice stated; Earainia had spoken. “…we have no need for problems and bad relations between our people, so it would be best were we too get along, yes?” The women present would feel comforted by her words, whilst everyone's ego would be pushed aside and made to wait till more pressing issues had been dealt with.


Raal and Vadarbi sat down quietly, humbled by her words and her presence. Jen felt calmer after that and he looked it too. Now, finally, Monea rose and spoke, nodding her head with a smile towards the woman thankfully. “Earania is right; we all know that it is almost set in stone that we must oppose these monstrosities.” The queen looked over them all, then quickly added, “So how will we go about it? What are our terms for one another? These are the questions we must ask ourselves, not whether or not we are each worthy of the one another's trust.”


The Starhand seemed to all nod their heads thoughtfully, with even Poradia and Vadarbi following suit. All was silent as no one seemed quite sure of what action to propose against the Ki’int and the horrors they could bring. Raal began to feel uncomfortable before his eyes fell on the figure who had entered the room last, the most mysterious of the seven delegates: R’diochaus.


“Words are such fickle extrapolations of the mortal mind and its true meaning.” Raal’s body was overtaken by a strange kind of awe and maybe confusion as well. It was as if his glance at the delegate had not only been noted by the Paradox, but that the words spoken had been a result somehow. “Of course, this is not the axis to consider, what we need is information regarding our enemy.” Everyone in the room had trained their gaze on the Delegate; Paradox, the most mysterious and wise among them.


Raal glanced to his left as he heard a sneer G’hros, he thought with disgust as the merchant spoke up. “Well then, Paradox what would you suggest?” the tone in the merchant’s voice was confrontational, but held a stronger sense of conceit to it.


A sensation, Raal decided it was the feeling of a smile, overtook the room as Paradox turned his head to address G’hros. “I suggest guerrilla tactics, an emissary of your word, and several parties sent to select areas.” R’diochaus then looked to one of his fellow delegates and spoke now to him “Camariet of the Eastern Wave,” the delegate nodded acknowledgment to the Paradox.


“You are the best among us when it comes to the guidance of hand and action.” Camariet seemed to agree with a slightly proud nod of his head, but R’diochaus was not finished.


“It is indeed true that our brother, Asekix, is that which illuminates what is present to bring knowledge and decode the obscurities of prophecy. The beings of beyond speak to and through him as if he were naught but a channel for the spirits.” While Asekix was not present it was very apparent that he was an essential member of their council, it was too bad he had been implored to stay by the duties of governance and political reign.


Glancing now to the two monarchs, R’diochaus approached them, for he had long stood from his seat. “Jen and Monea, ruling monarchs of Moria, a land of hills and forests. Your people possess an army I am sure, but if I recall correctly, it is not vast but instead skilled in its efficiency.” R’diochaus looked them both over and eventually Jen roused himself enough to respond to the strange delegate.


“Y-yes, it is known for its efficiency, not its size. Why? Do you perhaps have a proposal for the mobilization of the soldiers?” Again the feeling of a smile, pleasure might have been a better word, permeated the main hall.


“Affirmative,” the delegate replied as he stepped back from the king and bowed lowly to show his respect and appreciation. When he reached the center of the circle of seats he turned once to make sure all saw him and understood the importance of what he was to say. Then, his features still obscured by hood and magic, he began to iterate to them his plan.


It was a glorious thing, and a clever one at that. At least, that is what Raal thought; everyone else seemed slightly stunned by the delegate’s suggestions. “It is with these mentioned forces that I conclude we can stop, if not possibly bring an end to, the beings known as the Ki’int.” Raal found himself nodding despite how ridiculous this seemed, then again R’diochaus had not yet revealed his intentions entirely.


“That’s preposterous!” it was G’hros once more “How can you even begin to consider the destruction of something like the Ki’int with only a few questions, names, and thoughts?!” The delegate did not respond to the merchant, but rather waited till G’hros lost his patience in waiting for an answer, and sat back down with a frustrated grumble.


“The monarchs are surely aware of the leylines which run the world and that a good many cross their lands. These lines of ethereal focus are essential in Moria as I see it. We all should know that the Ki’int are not by any standards, normal foes. However, I happened upon an odd fact about most beings of frozen energy, known to us as matter.” Amusement was plain in the air, “It is simple my friends, allies, acquaintances; we use these leylines and the crossing points to cause a mass convergence of magical power. The energies can then be harnessed against the Ki’int before they become a greater threat than they already pose.”


The other delegates began to nod, though admittedly most were still on the fence in regards to the plan presented to them. It was here that Monea spoke once more “This may only serve to anger them more, dear councilman,” the queen’s tone was gentle as she said it, almost as if coddling a child.


R’diochaus seemed to smile again as pleasure flooded them, “My dear, there is considerable risk to every decision. This is life and if we are to continue carrying on with it, we must know that we are fate. For every choice we make impacts others which in turn impacts the world.” Monea sat back, beaten in the argument; Who was this man? Perhaps they would never know.



© 2016 yoshua171


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on October 27, 2015
Last Updated on January 29, 2016
Tags: Starhand, The Starhand, Council, The Starhand Council, Councilman, Elves, Elf, Merchant, Bard, King, Queen, Knight, Fantasy, High Fantasy, Medieval Fantasy


Author

yoshua171
yoshua171

Asheville, NC



About
I prefer to read and write high fantasy in particular, especially if it has Dragons in it...I love dragons. Also it should be noted that I am an aspiring writer, though I'd not yet call myself an a.. more..

Writing
Placeholder Placeholder

A Chapter by yoshua171